SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be able to begin construction of the frame for my new Scalextric Sport track this weekend. I'm going to set it up in the workshop area of my garage... an open area to the side of a two-car garage. I've calculated that I can afford to use a 66 inch (5' 6") x 102 inch (8' 6") area and still use the workbench area and get access around the entire track. Height of the frame will be 40 inches. (Sorry, I don't have metric conversions handy for those who think metric. And I apologize for the U.S. remaining in the Middle Ages measurement-wise.)

I also do N-scale model trains and I'm thinking that I will make the top convertible. Have the top in sections of... say, 33 inches (2' 9") x 51 inches (4 " 3')... and store the top that is not in use... with scenery and most of the track in place... within the frame. Both the slotcar and N-scale tops could be stored and a utility top placed on the frame to turn this area into a counter top in the workshop. I could also store an alternate slotcar layout... one a road course and one a tri-oval. First, I want to get the road course down.

I'm playing with track designs to fit in this space.

Guidelines:

I don't particularly like cross-overs... flying bridges over track.

I don't like chicanes.

Lane cross-overs on the corners are okay.

At some point I'll swap in Scalextric Digital so that the track can be either analog or digital, depending on the power base used.

I have a Scalextric Sport lap counter to integrate into the layout in its analog form.

I'd like at least one straight of optimal length, one sllightly banked curve, and one tight curve.

I'm working on some track designs, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm open to it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm designing a new circuit as well using Scalextric Classic/Sport track. My Scalextric Digital set should be with me in a couple of days then I can get started with testing.

My circuit should be about the same size as yours so I'll let you know what my designs are in a few days time. Unfortuanately I do not have any track design software so it'll be a rough sketch or something.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (5erge @ 17 Nov 2004, 12:12)I'm designing a new circuit as well using Scalextric Classic/Sport track.

(snip)

My circuit should be about the same size as yours so I'll let you know what my designs are in a few days time. Unfortuanately I do not have any track design software so it'll be a rough sketch or something.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, Serge.
A rough sketch should work fine. It will be interesting to see what each of us end up with. Looking forward to seeing your track under development and in its finished form.

Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've come upon a design I think I like. It's in the Scalextric 2004 Track Design Book. Good thing... because this "book", if it can be called that, was otherwise going to be a huge disappointment. Enormous layouts that few individuals would be able to afford in terms of either money or space.

But that's another topic...

I did like the design they called "G Force Sport" It has a broad sweeping turn that could lend itself to some banking, a decent straight or two, a nice tight turn, and no bridge crossovers required.

I think I can modify their design a bit in my space... lengthening the largest curve and making the straights a tiny bit longer.

More later... when I can actually start laying it down.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts