SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm part way into this build now so I thought it was about time to create my own thread.

Space is tight in the house. I had considered setting up a couple of boards with some track on to make racing quick and easy, but after a large setup in a meeting room at work one weekend I knew I wanted something bigger. So the plans were laid - very similar to Monarch Street Circuit - for a circuit broken down into smaller boards that I could take to larger locations to race.

The biggest board I can get in the back of the car is 1.6m x 1m, so I've decided to throw five 12mm MDF boards together for a big layout - if a little narrow. The boards will then sit on folding trestles with a border around them.

After much messing around I came up with the following layout. Scaley borders are just shown to make sure there's enough room for decent borders for magless racing:

The track incorporates a few shortened scalextric pit lane exits:

which link up to pit straights with a bit of yellow paint on them, as "reslot points".

We managed to set the layout up outside in the favourable weather for some more testing:

The next step was the track infill. I considered using the 12mm MDF offcuts but cutting them down was tricky, so I switched to carpet underlay (as seen in justDave's tracks). Cloud 9 9mm underlay is perfect for the digital track - the regular sport track will need something 2mm underneath it to bring it up to the correct height.

First I cut the underlay to the size of the boards. Then I laid the boards and underlay out, set the track up on top, and marked around with a sharpie. Then I was able to cut the underlay with a really sharp pair of scissors. (The grid pieces were the first half straights to hand when setting up the test)

The next stage is gluing the underlay down - I plan to do this with regular spray adhesive. Getting it stuck accurately is a little concern - it's going to have to wait for the next time I can get all the boards down together I think. Hopefully after than I can work on one or two at a time indoors.

I've done some small tests with undercoats and primers - it should be simple enough to paint the foam and then build up some basic scenery. The plan is black runoffs to scalextric crash barriers, then whatever on the infield - probably a bit of grass. No plans for major buildings, since there's not a lot of space and I'm keen to keep the whole track visible.

On the electronics - I split the Pit Pro from its track and added a couple more sockets on the back - one for the second sensor and one for power (since this photo was taken I replaced the two-core power wire with a proper plug/socket).

I'm also part way through splitting the APB. The power is done and works - long cables from the powerbase to sockets at the track. The plan for the data wires is to use cat5 cable, but I'm finding the soldering fiddly work - it's still work in progress.

It's an interesting time to start this thread - when I'm going to be unable to do anything for the next 2 weeks - but I didn't want to lose the progress so far, and I now have something to keep up to date - hopefully it'll serve as some motivation to get things done!

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
Well, let me just say, that's a FANTASTIC looking layout. I'm hard pressed to make any meaningful suggestions for improvement.
Lots of lane changers, two racing line CLCs, 4 purpose built re-slotting points, and a full two lane pit (with room enough for an XLC and a half straight, if you wanted).
I'm looking forward to watching the progress on this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi DJomp,

I also think your layout looks FANTASTIC, you really have optimised the length of track for the available space. A clever use of different bend radii (I think that's the right word because I know radiuses is not the correct word) which should make it a challenging track.
Would it be possible to see it in the flesh someday?

Glen

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the praise! I felt the layout was a little compromised - trying to get in loads of XLCs and the re-slot points meant most of the corners had to have at least 1 R1 in them, I'd have preferred just the hairpin at the end to have been tight, but you work with the space.

I never thought of an XLC in the pit lane... the pit only got extended where I chopped up the pit lane exits, never really looked at it again. Will have to try it out!

Glen - I'll give you a shout when it's up and running!

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
I think all the R1 turns are very well placed. Even the one that's hard into the R1 from a straight, there's not enough run up to get much speed before the turn, so it won't catch too many people out. Well, newbies that hold the throttle flat out will come off all over the place. Thank goodness the APB has lots of power level options.

What are you planning to do for continuity reliability? I would suggest that each section have taps to each group of tracks on it, which then connect to the other sections, like Colsy did. If you haven't read through his thread already, you probably should asap, before you get too far along. He came up with a lot of great ideas that work well.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Darn!
Just when I thought I might be settling on a final layout yours comes along and gets me thinking again!

It looks like a terrific layout. And, like mine, will be sectional on fold-away saw horses/trestles, right?

As Mr. F. says, check out Colsy's layout for a transportable layout with power taps.

Just one question... you are using the underlay as infield filler rather than UNDER the track, correct? Any plans to put anything under the track to lessen the vibration on the wood base?

Will follow this track with great interest.... carry on!

Cheers!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love this layout, a little Catalunya-esque, maximum track in the available area, and nice use of varying radius curves. I even just copied it into UR3 - comes out at around 70 feet or so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colsy's power taps look great... the problem is, I need to be able to get the track on and off the boards for rug racing with my son (it also means the boards can stay in the shed without me worrying what's happening to the track in hot and cold conditions). I've got some ideas I'll be playing with as the build moves on. It's a weird idea, but I'm hoping I can make it work!

Finally got on again yesterday, took advantage of having the afternoon off and the weather being reasonable to get the boards out in the garden and stick the underlay down to the boards. Now I can work on each individually/in pairs in the house... they need priming and painting and suddenly I'll have a track!

No pictures of that - I'm still picking bits of glue off my hands now!

I did set up in the evening inside to test out the new bodies that Wraith did me... The one at the back of the grid is orange, the camera doesn't pick it up so well.

Also thought I'd share a pic of my separated APB. Talk about overkill on the power wires, but hey. And soldering the data wires to the cat5 was a PITA.

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
No kill like overkill, eh?
Well done on the base separation.
Are those Scalextric Start F1 cars? The color coding is great! You might consider putting numbers on them as well. I was astonished to find that even though all my controllers and cars were color matched, kids STILL didn't notice that. They saw the big black numbers I put on the controllers, but didn't realize the colors were matched, and couldn't figure out which cars were theirs sometimes. Not all the kids, mind you, but enough for me to realize that both colors and numbers on both cars and controllers is a good idea. At the very least, it will help kids who have certain color blindness.

I look forward to seeing how you figure out power taps when you want to be able to use the same track for rug racing as used for the larger track.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
QUOTE (dJomp @ 18 Apr 2011, 07:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The track incorporates a few shortened scalextric pit lane exits:

which link up to pit straights with a bit of yellow paint on them, as "reslot points".

Would you mind sharing how you "shortened" the pit lane out track? Seems you kept all the "tabs" for connecting to other track.
To my eye you did not "remove" anything, but it is definitely shorter.

A terrific idea to use these as "reslot points". Something that SCX has offered but the length of the Scaley ones makes them difficult to introduce as manufactured.

BTW, after pricing these pit lane kits, you have a lot invested in the reslot features. Do you think/find the use justifies the cost?

Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd not thought of numbers and colour blindness - a very good point. Wish I'd thought of it before they'd been painted of course...!

Sealevel - I chopped a half straight off the end, then sliced the tabs out and glued them to the underside of the bit that was left:

I had to hack together the bit of plastic to hold the track 'pin' - one of those came off last time, that could be fun to put back. I'll be adding some cross-lane power taps around these to ensure they've got power if the single end connection is dodgy.

I went a bit mad with my initial spending... I'd hoped for more 3/4 lane action and having, say, a lane appear on the left and then the right lane disappearing (which needs two pit lane kits), but then realised I didn't have the space for that kind of fancyness (and found racing on two lanes just as fun). I'd got two rights and two lefts - the two rights are for the pit lane, with the exits shortened, and the two left kits used for the reslot points. (I did enquire with scalextric if I could get the exits out of the pack, they can't be that expensive without the electronics, but they said no). I could use a 'pit lane straight' to house the sensor and wire it back up if I ever did want a left-hand entry - a job for another day, though.

So summing up the ramble - I had them so made use of them. £30-odd for two reslot points is a bit steep really.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Progress - finally!

Primed the underlay. Woah that stuff drinks paint. Good to get it full before the top coat on.

Painted up the borders for around the boards. Quick dry paint meant that was done nice and quick, so I had time to paint up two of the boards in black too. Then in the evening I got to add white lines around the track areas and mark up where the armco will go.

The white area on the infield will be grass (mat).

Three more to paint, four more to mark up. Plenty more to do but really good to get the ball rolling again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I painted the other three boards black... not a lot more than that. I'm at the mercy of the weather, having nowhere indoors to be painting / drilling etc. Personal life also getting in the way a bit at the moment. I keep looking at the boards in the shed and wishing I had the space to get them out and leave them, so I could just do 20 minutes' work each night...

I did get some panel pins through the barriers for the first board; it'd be nice to get some holes drilled and see those up and running.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Got the track set up on Saturday to see how the underlay borders would work. Answer: pretty well. It may need some fine tuning in a couple of places but I'm pretty happy with it. Drilled holes in the boards to drop all the cables through.

This one shows the barriers on the first board (and a crash in progress!)...

So things to get on with now: white lines around the bits of the track that don't yet have them; finish getting the barriers in place; get the grass down on the infield sections; paint some kerbs in appropriate places; then probably set up again and see what else is missing.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Rick, looking good I really like the re-slot entry points you have built into your circuit plus your layout that fits so much track into the available space.

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
I agree, that's coming together nicely.
It should look splendid with the rest of the lines, some curbs (but like a real track where cars actually leave the pavement when following a race line!), and some grass and people in those large areas.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Superb track layaout!
Any updates as of lately?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts