SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I installed the O2 board into my ninco pit lane track. At first I was having some problems with the pit lane detection as my car would go in, but I later realized that the magnets under the track were too close together. I separated them and now everything works fine.

I am however unable to experience a speed reduction because of how small / short my put lanes section is. So this is something to keep in mind for home applications. I will try to add some more pit space tonight to test my theory.

Regarding Selective Lane Changing (S-LC), I think I understand the theory behind it, and I realize (correct me if I am wrong) that it it most beneficial on a track with more then 2 lanes. I would even say that on 3 lanes it would not really make a difference how you set up the LC commands. However when you go beyond 4 lanes it seems like its an awesome feature.

REGULAR LC

What I have done so far is to configure the lane changes to be actuated by pressing the bottom-most button only regardless. So essentially every time you approach and LC and would like to change lanes, you would press the bottom-most button. The top-most button does not work in this case.

PIT LANE ENTRY

Because the pit lane on my track is towards the inside of top of the track (this is all subjective I guess depending on how you look at thing) I have programmed that LC to only work when the top lc button is pressed. This will prevent racers from accidentally going into the pit lane. I wonder if this would be a correct application of the S-LC principle at least for home-racing. It would also be interesting however to allocate / have a dedicated pit lane entry in the future. Maybe pressing both LC buttons can achieve this ? I wonder if that idea would make sense. This will once again keep racers from driving into the pit lane by mistake?

Those with the system, how are you setting up your tracks?

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
I disagree with the premise that SLC is only useful for 4+ lane tracks. My digital club, DRAWW, race exclusively 2 lane tracks, and it would be a LOT easier to be able to hold one button to always move to the outside (or the other button to always move to the inside) the whole time, and not worry that a lane change somewhere else will put you in the wrong lane for getting the next turn the way you want. I have my track set up such that it works well if you hold the lane change for some parts, but if you don't let up, you'll end up in the wrong lane.

I like your pit lane application, but I think that would also work well with SLC, as it's quite common for people to choose the outside lane whenever possible. Though, I guess it really depends on the layout design.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.. but in a two lane track, if you are on lane 1 and want to go to lane 2, there is ONLY one way to change as you approach the XLC. Whereas if you are on lane 2 on a 3 lane track, then you can potentially switch into lane 1 or lane 3. right?

now the only way to justify S-LC in a 2 lane track would be if you have several XLCs close.
The thing to realize here also, is the the board is what get programed to "ignore" the other button. So you would really need to think the track-layout and LC placement more carefully.

- I am saying you are wrong, or that I am right. Just want to open a discussion to see if we can all make this system work nicely - who know maybe even set an o2 standard or some sort.

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
True, but on a technical track and/or one with a lot of lane changers, it can be hard to hit all the right ones without hitting others before or after the one(s) you want. Knowing that your car will not go to the inside when you want the outside, WHILE you are holding/pressing the lane changer button, is a nice thing. Having several XLC close is the prime example of why it would be useful in a 2 lane track, but even separated, it's useful.

No matter what you want to do with the buttons, you need to think about what each LC will be set up to do, don't you? You'll need to set up each and every flipper according to where it sends you.

Your way lets you set them all up the same, such that it works very similar to the digital systems we're familiar with already. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it seems that if the options are there, why not explore them?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it seems that if the options are there, why not explore them?

I agree, which is why I was thinking it would nice to have a dedicated pit lane combination. So that someone pressing the inner button and holding it, doesn't end up accidentally in the pits.

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
Yep. The way you've done it is pretty interesting. Do you still need to make sure you're in the correct lane, or can/do you have it set up so that you can hold that one, and end up there no matter what?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I been playing with trackpower tonight looking at some older layouts and adapting them based on what I now know about O2. Also, I currently have a small apt. compared to a large living room back when I got into slotcars.
Either way to answer your question. I am trying to make it so that if you keep pressing the up button you end up in the pits no matter what. I think that makes more sense than the other way I was thinking of. In reality if you are racing and get a low fuel warning the last thing you want to do is think of how to get in the pits. Essentially, you just hit the up button and floor it until you get inside the pits.

I have also realized some LCs should be configured to work when either button is pressed ect. Remember in Ninco you have single LC which I happen to like very much compared to the XLC.

Here is an example:

The single LC would be set to that if you press the UP button or the Bottom button you will change to the next (inner lane), however if you keep the UP button when your car reached the pit lane #2 it will go in and have its speed reduced ect.

So LC 1 is set to accept both commands, LC2 (pit lane) is on selective mode.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Gents,
I agree your suggestion helps in some ways. However in high traffic (3 cars +2 pacers) on a small critcuit means that avoiding traffic at XLC's is critical. Press and go may encorage a "Press and be Dammed" mentalitiy which could result in frustrarion as the resultiong penalties help nobody. However I must agree most "offs" are not at XLC's but at corners, inner bargeing outer or just too much power/speed at a cornner. Like one of my other hobby's getting the kit does not mean you know how to use it. Without your thought we will not progress and you may come up with new and unique ideas to drive the way for all of us.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pro - what magnets do you use? I have just ordered the o2 and preparing for setup. But is there any restriction/specification exept distance and the poles?

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
Hi all.
Well, the idea of having SLC for pit lane only is new to me - and interesting.

Please also remember that, even with SLC active, if you press BOTH buttons at the same time, you get a lane change, no matter what. We were suggested doing this, and it makes sense, for those situation where you just want to change lane, no matter where you're going - for example when you're stucked behind a slow car.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (kingkong @ 8 May 2012, 02:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pro - what magnets do you use? I have just ordered the o2 and preparing for setup. But is there any restriction/specification exept distance and the poles?

@KingKong, that is correct, there are no restrictions other than pole and distance. The distance only comes into play for the pit lane entry.
I am using slot.it magnets, why use anything else right? choose a magnet that will fit nicely under your track.

@Maurizio, what you are saying makes complete sense and i agree with you.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am wondering Maurizio, in your demo / test track where have you found it is best to install the magnets away from the entrance and exit as to better negotiate the computer controller speed reduction entering (which is not as bad as..) and speed increase leaving the pit lane which can be a bit aggressive and cause a driver to loose control. I wonder if it can be a bit more progressive or I just need to move the exit magnets onto a straight section inside the pit lane?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts