SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
A seller on FleaBay sent me a car in a bubblewrap envelope. No other protection. Regular 1st class...

Is it just me, or is this a total lack of common sense?

The result:

Was a mint car....not so any more.

I have opened a dispute due to lack of communication initially, and asked for a £10 refund, which he is refusing...willing to pay only £5. The spare parts to repair + P&P is just under £9...

He claims he has sent several cars like this and has never had an issue???

The car was listed inaccurately and therefore I got it very cheap....

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I understand your frustration. It is a more than a lack of common sense - it is negligence. The seller did not live up to his responsibility to provide adequate protection for the item during transit. I hope you pursue your case with ebay. Can you return the entire car and obtain a refund?

As for the seller's claim that he has sent several cars like this and has never had an issue - that is irrelevant.

Good luck.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
That deserves a full refund. And I think PayPal now also refunds postage. And if the seller wants it back, it's on their dime. I have a Subaru sitting upstairs that was totally misrepresented by an Ebay seller. The car is actually mint, but is not the car that was pictured or described. I got a full refund, and the seller chose not to pay to have it returned to them in France. I have no guilt over this; it's exactly why the PayPal/Ebay protection mechanisms exist. Without buyers using the service, their revenues dry up. All sellers have to do is be honest and responsible. It's not too much to ask.

Don't stand for this kind of... manure, as I think a wise man put it

·
David H
3,725 Posts
QUOTE (Keeto @ 4 Jan 2012, 18:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The car was listed inaccurately
There's your answer. If the car is not as described, return it for a full refund. (Always return goods by Recorded Delivery. Too many unscrupulous sellers will deny receiving returned goods unless you can prove otherwise)

As for posting cars in bubble-wrap envelopes, it happens often. I've had several cars ruined this way, some sent by, I assume, parents who see the car as nothing more than a child's unwanted toy, and others by dealers, most notably Jadlam, twice. (a couple of years ago. Haven't used them since.)

The occasional seller is difficult to avoid. Dealers, on the other hand, should know better. In both cases, if a refund isn't forthcoming immediately, don't muck about. Leave negative and open a dispute.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Dopamine: What I meant by "inaccurately" was: Not listed as Lister Storm - just as "Slot Car"....therefore he obviously didn't get as many hits as he was suppose to and I got it for quite cheap...I smell sour grapes to be honest.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
£2 and £1.96 was paid....

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
Seems like that was always going to come in a paper bag, mate.
Bit bally annoying, I'll give you that, but I'd hold out for the full cost of spares or a full refund, whichever is the cheaper.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
How's the guy's previous feedback? Could be a one-off cock up, not the best method of posting a delicate slot car though.

Compromise at £7.50 and break out the superglue?..

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
from my recent experience sending cars first class recorded delivery to a uk address usually comes in at around just under £3. Thats for a weight of the car in a display case and wrappin

So £2 was to cheap, but it was damaged on delivery so a full refund or payment to correct the damage is fair.

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
I complained to a seller about him sending a car to me in a jiffy bag - the spoiler snapped off. He was tidy about it and gave me a full refund including the return postage cost BEFORE I posted it back to him. He learned his lesson and was very apologetic.

Sounds as if this one isn't seeing the error of his ways. Push the dispute - full refund from Ebay/PayPal - no mercy. If he wants it back he can send you the postage money.

PayPal is owned by Ebay by the way - so don't let them fob you off - buyer protection is what part of the extortionate fees are for.

·
Administrator
9,654 Posts
Oddly enough over the years I have had several cars come in bubble wrap envelopes with no damage - but they were all old vac-bodied cars! I wasn't too happy about it, but since they came undamaged it was okay in the end... still wouldn't recommend it though!

Only had a couple real cases of cars/bodies being damaged in transit: one plastic body in a flimsy cardboard box, where the side totally cracked off - they seller was very apologetic, admitted he was trying to do it on the cheap and refunded everything (just had to send him a photo of the damage).

Another, more recent, was a converted diecast slotcar, where the guy had charged a left lung for postage. It arrived poorly packed, sent at about a third of the price advertised: when I told him, he apologized profusely, said he had been in mourning and his wife had sent it, gave me a full refund without discussion.

Hmmm, did have one case of a seller in France sending a car with a very thin vac-formed body - it got damaged in transit, because he had used hard styrofoam in a package that was too small and it slit the body and cracked off part of the bumper - but that guy refused to recognize that he was in the wrong...

To tell you the truth, I've had amazingly little breakage over the years, and packages are not usually that well done...

Don

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 4 Jan 2012, 20:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
from my recent experience sending cars first class recorded delivery to a uk address usually comes in at around just under £3. Thats for a weight of the car in a display case and wrappin

So £2 was to cheap, but it was damaged on delivery so a full refund or payment to correct the damage is fair.

Ade he sent it 1st class only - not recorded.
No this guy isn't very apologetic to be honest, I think he doesn't realise that I'm being very reasonable asking for only a partial refund.
Anyhow, thanks for all the help so far guys....I thought it was just me being unreasonable opening a dispute about this but it looks like all of you would have done the same.

Will see what happens in the next few days.

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
I once had two 1/24 Monogram Lotus 38 Indy cars sent in a bubble wrap envelope from the USA!
Now, any one that knows these cars will appreciate how delicate they are, lots of chrome suspension parts that would break very easily indeed and a delicate exhaust sticking out the back.
When the package arrived I knew what was in it and my heart sank, they would surely be in several hundred pieces!
btw these are very rare and expensive cars.
But no, both were perfectly ok without any damage whatsoever.
The reverse of this is the case of a resin body I sent to France a few months back, it was double-boxed in two sturdy twin wall boxes and arrived as a three dimensional jigsaw!

·
Administrator
9,654 Posts
That is pretty amazing Phil... and I used to work at the US Post Office, where I fondly remember practicing our football with the odd package.

But you would also be amazed at how many people sent stuff like wine glasses in a shoebox, with a bit of newspaper...

Don

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
A bit off topic, isn't the seller supposed to provide feedback straight away after the deal is done. A lot still appear to want to wait until the buyer gives his feedback. I make a point of not giving feedback first even though everything is fine.

Cheers

John

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Keeto,
Whatever else, please leave negative feedback for him. Otherwise the rest of us will end up with cars in bags from him too!
Feedback isn't punishment it's feedback... comments on a seller's conduct. If he's smart, he'll start packing better to avoid further negative feedback. A few years ago I had a spate of poorly wrapped cars arrive damaged, so now I tend to only buy boxed cars or really cheap cars on ebay.
Either way, packing a fragile item in a jiffy bag is asking for trouble., and your seller needs your help to understand that.
I'd say it's a good idea to assume any parcel might be used for football and to package stuff accordingly.
Cheers,
Richard

Edit: just spotted Don's footy comment above!

·
Registered
325 Posts
What a total [email protected]@hole! Shame for the car too!

The problem with the ebay feedback system is that the sellers often wait until the buyer has left his/her feedback first. If that is negative, they leave you, as a retribution, with a negative as well...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts