SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Evening all,

We've got a Seventies F1 class which is for Scalextric, SRC or Fly models with the slimline motor (NOT Policar, as these are dedicated race cars. They'll have their own races if anyone votes to have a class for them at the next AGM).

We have to keep all the factory fitted parts with no modifications except braids and tyres.

Given that SRC chose to use a silly reduction gear, that seems to rule them out. Yes, I know that there are options for Policar and other aftermarket chassis/pod alterations but they're not permitted. Ditto the Fly Williams FW07.

That would seem to leave a choice between the Scalextric Tyrrell 002/3, Lotus 72 or McLaren M23. Or the Fly March 761/Brabham BT44.

We run the Marches as a club 'lane car' class. All of their steering is kaput and yet they still go quite nicely with the front wheels wobbling/pointing in different directions/missing. Are the Flyslot ones any better? Are the Brabhams as nice to drive or are they all on the shelf gaining value rather than track time???

I'd really like to get the Ronnie Peterson Lotus by Scalextric but can't justify it unless it's a racer.

Our track is a twisty, bumpy Ninco. We'll run the cars at 10v.

Which would be your weapon of choice?

Forgot to add - the Scalextric 'cigar cars' like the Lotus 49/McLaren M7/Brabham BT26 aren't permitted.

·
Bob Chapman
6,950 Posts
I have 2 which seem to,run very well.
The Mclaren M23 and the Brabham BT44.
But it all comes down to tuning . The Fly cars are a bit easier to tune in my opinion.
Bob

Reactions: driver#8

·
Bob Chapman
6,950 Posts
Good question, we run them as considered scale.
I do know the old scaley BT44 is much shorter than the Fly , but i believe it is under scale in wheelbase.
The Fly one is fairly close to scale on both wheelbase and track.
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Well, when running those rotten little motors non-mag and with nowhere to put any meaningful weight in the chassis, every millimetre that the footprint grows is a bonus! According to the spec sheet, the Scalextric McLaren M23 has a 70mm rear axle width. There doesn't seem to be the same level of detail in Scalextric spec sheets these days, but from other sources it appears that the Tyrrell has a 67mm rear axle and the Lotus 72 has 65mm.

I've heard that the Fly March/Brabham have a 65mm rear axle, but if it's over-scale then that might not be the case.

Rear axle width is probably the key factor on our track because almost all classes rely on the same motor for all cars. For example, running Scalextric classic Americans non-magnet is a single car formula: the L88 Corvette is unbeatable. The Mustangs and Camaros are giving away 10 mm across the rear axle and there's nothing that trick tyres or sidewinder layouts can really offer to beat the 'Vette, even when its motor is in the wrong place!

Back to the F1s, it would seem that the information so far is:

Scalextric - Pros: Simple chassis/motor/gearing, more robust. Cons: Wildly over-powered, no opportunity for chassis 'float'

Fly - Pros: slightly less power, slightly lighter, chassis separate from body. Cons: steering adds weight/potential drag/frailty

If all of the above is about right, it looks like a Fly is the sensible choice, with the Scalextric McLaren offering more grunt and a bigger contact patch if its disadvantages can be managed.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
The two brands use different spec motors, most of the Fly motors are 20,000( measured) and the Scalex are rated at 18,000 but measure around 21,500 to 22,000. So the Scalex can carry more weight for the same straight line performance.
We allow the Scalex to run but must use a 20,000 motor. The Fly Brabham is a rebodied March.
The Lotus handles better then the March.
We measured several rear axle widths on the Fly March and used that as our max rear width, so if anyone wants they can widen the Scalex cars.
We allow the Williams as most guts cannot get the gearing sorted!
We are still evaluating the SRC and Policar fitted with 20,000 motors, at this time neither are as good as the Fly Lotus.
We did find that some of the Lotus only had 18,000 motors.
Tyres are either Scalex or Fly, After two series there is little to pick between the two brands, now the motors are equal.
The Scalex guys moan having to change motors BUT as the class originally was based around the Fly March so are the rules.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
You don't say if your club races on plastic or wood but I have the Scalextric Tyrrell 003 and the Ronnie Peterson Lotus 72 and have driven them both "box standard" apart from fitting Ortmman tyres on the wooden routed track at the Southend Slot Racing Club and they drive superbly.

David

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi David - it's on Ninco.

The problem with running 'box standard' cars is that if there's a fundamental problem - even one with a reasonably easy fix - you're stuck with it unless you change cars. So for Ninco NC1 GTs, for example, anyone arriving without a McLaren can expect a low score and anyone with a Porsche GT1 can be assured of watching the other cars come past to lap them.

My first outing with the Scalextric classic Americans was with a Dodge Charger. Lapped twice by the Corvettes.

Even classes that allow more than one manufacturer or motor tend to follow a trend. No NSR or Slot.It ever built has kept up with the Fly Viper when the magnet is kept in place - and lord knows, enough have tried!

Sometimes picking the wrong car is fun. I'll never swap my 57 Chevy for Carrera Muscle, even if it will never see which way the Road Runners and Chargers have gone. We run that class with the polarity reversed and with one magnet permitted, so it's a bit of a lottery at the best of times.

But usually it's best to start off with something at least close to the pace.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Fly - Pros: slightly less power
But the rear tires are so pretty. I'm a Renault guy so SRC whether it is quicker or not!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are still interested in the 70's F1 debate....

Honestly the Fly and FlySlot Marches are the easiest to tune for no-mag. We race on wood, 10v this exact class which includes both Scaleys and Fly. Other than popping on urethane types on the rear, it's loosen the body screws for float and add a wee bit of weight. I use self-adhesive leaded golf tape. If you are able, a strip of it length wise along the bottom on the bottom of the chassis works. Otherwise, I'll wrap it/stick on the sides of the motor inside.

The Scaleys are just finicky - and can be very competitive but as someone said there is very little room for tuning, not to mention too many bluddy screws too! Th emotion is way overpowered. Over on this side of the pond Slotcarcorner has released their 18k FF-050 Minnow motor, which could be a good spec motor for this class and could help addresss the Scaleys motor issue.

By the way here's a recent video of heat racing with our F1's:

Note all but one of our 15 club members run a Fly. The 1 Scaley is NOT competitive.

Someone above mentioned the Williams Fw07 "in vain." Honestly, I tuned mine - link to how to here: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=95620&highlight=Williams+fw07....

...and it runs like a scared cat! It's super fast, well balanced with the AW setup, so it doesn't need any weight. I don't believe I lost a heat with it this year. These Williams are intimidating, but honestly with just. A wee bit of patience, they can be killers.

Hope that helps!
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Giddyup,

Had my first run in this class last night. Using a Fly Brabham I got two wins and two second places. I was tied on points with a Fly March.

Holding up with Fly tradition, one wing mirror disappeared on the way to the track, and the right rear wheel needed glueing on before the car would go anywhere. After that, however, it was very pleasant.

There was pair of Scalextric Lotus 72s in the mix. They were much faster off the line and down the straight, but couldn't stay with the Fly cars in the twisty bits, despite one or two little mods that I noticed!

Looks like Fly is the way to go for our track.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Mr 8, you got any photos of this Ninco track you can run yer Fly F1s on, there? Is it in the UK?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Have you thought about the Policar offerings yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our club ran classic F1 mainly scalextric plus the odd airfix car. I found the best two cars are the Williams fw07 and the brabham bt 44 both with the old 111 scalextric motor just glue that wobbly front suspension to the chassis or insert a brass axle tube on they run like they're on rails. Plus change the rear tyres to ortmanns to get maximum performance.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes we've got a class for them too - one of the best classes we've got. Scalextric F1s with/without pan(t)s, so the clamshell cars (BRM is best, Ferrari and Shadow close behind), and the later cars (Tyrrell 009 rules the roost, Williams FW07 and Brabham BT49 are strong contenders). Airfix/MRRC Lotus 79, FW07, Brabham etc. with steering were allowed for a while. Not sure of the latest regs on those.

Heck, in 38 classes we've got most of the bases covered!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.