SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I have always liked the F1 cars from the early 1970's, I was little disappointed with the Scalextric version of the Shadow DN1 that appeared all those years ago. A good shape but lacking something and too small.
I will make a more accrate one------ one day.
Instead of finishing other projects I shall just start another (man or modeller logic ?).
Lets see whats in the junk box.

I have seen a build on SF and elsewhere of a conversion that looked very good but I wanted to do the later version with the full body rather than one with the engine exposed.
I thought that I would merge somehow a Scalextric Tyrrell with the main parts of the Shadow for the shape of the car.
A few sketches and a piece of plasticard cut.

Toy Airplane Vehicle Wood Aircraft

Sleeve Electric blue Plastic Wood Magenta

Trimming and fettling I don't appear to be using much of the Shadow
Wood Flooring Rectangle Hardwood Tints and shades

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Flooring Brick

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Keep going sir!

Incidentally although I am a rivet counter when it comes to '70's F1 scratchbuilds I just love those Scaley originals. They have a certain 'artistic / impressionistic' look that rather than copy the exact car 'conjures up' the conceptual idea of the car.

I have them all and they remind me of more naive moments....

Sorry, back on thread now, good luck and I hope it does turn out to be very accurate.

Cheers
Andi

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I was debating whether to build the white Graham Hill version or the black UOP of either Oliver or Follmer.
I may regret this but I thought I would do the Hill and Oliver cars.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Line

Andi, your builds are some of the best anyone will see (I feel the pressure with you observing).
The Original Scalextric Shadow seems to be about 1/36, I hope that I can capture the shape of the real car, it looks more tricky than I first thought.

Wood Wheel Tire Flooring Automotive tire

I have made a skin for the top of the cars. I used 0.030" plasticard and super glued my fingers as well as the plastic to the main body.

Wood Tints and shades Gun barrel Sleeve Fashion accessory

A little detailing has started, basically glue pieces of plastic on and smooth.

Shoe Vertebrate Wood Font Musical instrument

More images soon, there is only so much of photobucket I can take.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great builds - I like the idea of bending and forming styrene! Think I'll give it a go around my laminated body forms. looking forward to the end result so please keep posting your progress pictures.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Thanks for the interest and comments. That is what is great about modelling, the many different techniques and materials that can be used.

These hopefully show the fabrication of the sidepods.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Wood Trigger Gun barrel Bumper Wood stain

Rear radiator ducts, airbox and front wings started.

Pink Magenta Machine Font Electric blue

Different cockpit profiles on the Hill and Oliver cars.
The Hill car has a windscreen but pictures I have found show the Oliver car with what looks like a panel.
I thought I would just scribe this out.

Land vehicle Tire Toy Wheel Hood

Tire Wheel Car Hood Vehicle

Milliput soon then more sanding.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

I decided to make the Version of Graham Hill's Embassy Shadow DN1 that he raced at Montjuic Park in 1973. I believe this was the DN1/3, I decided to do the Jackie Oliver car from the same race.
In this race Graham Hill had number 25 on the car, the rest of the season the car appears to have raced with number 12.
Not sure why this was, but the pictures I have found of the car with number 25 on it has the engine covered. When the car ran with the number 12 the pictures all seem to have the engine exposed.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

The Hill car has the rounded edges on the rear wing.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

There is this picture of the rear partially covered engine, I am uncertain of the race but I believe the car carried the number 15 or possibly 17 and it has different mounts for the rear wing. DN1/3A perhaps ?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

I also found a picture of Jackie Oliver's car that shows that it is a windscreen not a panel as I thought.
This seems to be tinted/darkened as the steering wheel, hands/arms are just visible through it.
I am not sure whether to leave this or try to make a tinted windscreen. If anyoe has some pictures or additional information please let me know.

This may be of interest to fans of early 1970's "High Air Box Cars"

I considered making the wing supports from wire but this proved too difficult for me, I have made them from plastic rod by Evergreen. They are obviously thicker than scale but have turned out better than I thought.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I originally intended to use much of the Scalextric Shadow, cut up and mounted on the Tyrrell body and chassis. This included the front wings, I have ended up only using the upper body from behind the driver.
Automotive design Material property Font Magenta Gadget

Hopefully will be spraying them in Primer soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Great work.
Some photos of the Hill car carrying #15 are of it in recent years, in "historic" events. Possibly it was #15 in a non-championship race in 1973 but not in a GP.

Early 1973 - after the Spanish GP - was when race numbers became consistent for the season, though there were still a few oddities that year.
Rob J

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes, be careful when googling for images.

Many pictures being more recently viewed, posted and of higher quality are quite often of historic racing where exact specification doesn't always match the car as raced.

This is especially true when looking at tyre sizes for early '70's cars. Avon seem not to make the same high wall tyres so cars tend to have the later low profile which does two things:
a) means that suspension settings need to be adapted making the whole car run lower than originally intended
gives the wrong look to the front of the car with a nose down stance

Sorry.... Gone off topic a bit!

Nice builds.... Keep it going!

Cheers
Andi

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I have not done as much as I would have liked on this project lately (life just gets in the way) but a bit of an update.
Primed, painted with a few details. The doner car for illustration.
Green Magenta Pattern Electric blue Plastic

Comparison with the Scalextric Shadow.
Green Pink Font Magenta Auto part

A view of the radiators (side and rear), mesh (from an auction site) used.
Purple Wood Flooring Floor Wall

View of suspension, a simple construction of plastic, wire and springs.
Purple Bicycle saddle Automotive design Bicycle part Fender

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
That's looking great.
There is some fab detail in the suspension area. They certainly do look that little bit slimmer than the original Scaley models.
Just out of interest, my wife wants to know why you are using your wifes pink cutting mat?
Keep up the good work
Simon

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Thanks Simon for the comments

Just out of interest, my wife wants to know why you are using your wifes pink cutting mat?
Keep up the good work
Simon

I'm afraid that Mrs SplitRim has exposed my feminine side, the pink cutting mats (I have two) are in fact mine. Mrs InthePit can get her own. Years of being a petrol head in tatters
ohmy.gif

Chassis with wheels and tyres now, I have done more this week than I have in the last 10.

Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Toy

I have no idea what is going on with photbucket (nothing unusual there) whatever size I reduce images to, they still show in my post (preview anyway) as big as a planet
huh.gif

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Mirrors, drivers and decals still required.
DNQ has supplied me with some drivers, thanks Simon they are just the job.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

I have been researching the wheel colours and I have come to the conclusion that I an not sure if I have them correct.
The few pictures from the race that I have found (Montjuic Park 1973) show the Hill car with the rear wheels as I have them but the front are black. I have assumed (maybe incorrectly) that they are covered in break dust by the tme of the photograph.

I think the car looks better red with the silver rims front and rear.
Luggage and bags Purple Bag Material property Technology

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Lots of hard work and fine modelling skills have obviously gone into making these. Excellent work and looking forward to seeing them in full livery.

Dave

1 - 20 of 38 Posts