SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the next heatwave looms your mind naturally drifts off to the sub zero temperatures of deep mid winter… well mine does. So last year my un-heated, un-insulated shed was just too cold to sit in for a good two months. I have a temp gauge in it and found that my limit for a short 30 min session (with coat and scarf) was around 10 degrees C.

So Ive been thinking about heating for this year. The shed does have an electric supply, although its a simple cable running from a 13a plug in the house so not really substantial. However on the plus side this runs to a fuse box in the shed so there is some limited overload protection. Plans to beef this up are in the back of mind but not in the near future.

While i am not adverse to insulating the shed, I am not sure of its benefits for my use case. The shed and more importantly my track (Arc Pro so very electrical) and cars seem unharmed by last years winter and indeed since living here I’ve used the shed for storage and the odd fitness regime and nothing has rusted and the lights and radio all seem to survive year in year out so I don’t seem to “need” extra protection. To add to my “feeling” our house is pretty darn energy efficient and extremely well insulated and yet still requires constant heating during winter to keep at the balmy 21 degrees C that we like. Seeing as I would never look to heat the shed on the same daily cycle and time span as the house I don’t currently see the need to spend - what appears to be around £1k to properly insulate the shed.

This leaves me thinking of instant heat, to allow me to have sessions of 30 minutes - 2 hours as and when the mood takes me. My current Google searches have left me looking at two products, I am torn between the portable gas heaters used for camping or an infrared lamp style patio heater.

Would love to hear from folk who’ve treaded this path and come to a good conclusion before parting with any money.

·
Alan Tadd
4,050 Posts
Providing an suitable electric supply to a shed is a minefield. You need a qualified electrician to do or inspect the work including the armoured buried cable run before you can get your certificate.
Regarding heaters etc., it depends on how often you want to use the shed. When I had my uninsulated shed for my track, I just used a standard freestanding fan heater on colder days in the Winter. I did try an infrared one but it was ineffective. I wouldn't use a gas heater in a shed as I would consider it to be too risky as I am very clumsy and would be sure to knock it over.
Good luck with your project, I loved my shed layout and was very sorry to have to dismantle it when we moved house.
Regards
Alan

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
If you want a quick and cheap fix, burning three or more candles can increase the interior temperature of a small shed or tent by approximately 14 degrees. Ventilation is necessary because of carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Regarding insulation: Around here there are a LOT of chunks just being thrown out as they cut out holes for windows etc. Keep an eye out and collect up what you can: Often for free.
A little insulation can go a long way. Some even claim a sheet of aluminum foil can help.
My guess is anything over 10 cm is overkill...

Have you looked into infrared heating?
It is low amp, heats fairly quickly (usually within 30 minutes) and since objects absorb the rays it even keeps the room warm after they have been turned off.
They make no noise and are also emission free.
You have to position them carefully. Ideal is right above your head where you spend the most time. Alternative is on a wall across from a wall with no windows (windows just let the radiation go out).

I have seen people use tee lights on a non-flammable surface with a inverted clay flower pot that is set on a few stones on top heat things up quite nicely. Yes you do have to worry about CO but you could set 4 of these in each corner before you go in and likely just opening and closing the door well let the CO out...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have my track set up in a 60 foot Dutch barn so heating options were limited. Like you we restricted race sessions to above about 10 degrees. I then invested in a wall mounted infrared patio heater which allowed us to drop our race temperature to about 7 or 8 degrees!! I was surprised that with infrared it doesn't actually feel like warmth in the way you get with heaters that actually warm the air but it was certainly enough to warm your hands and avoid gloves!!! May be better in a smaller area as well but for us it has allowed some winter racing although you can't beat shorts and beers in the summer!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had not appreciated the condensation issues, caused by gas and paraffin heaters. I think the indoor infrared patio heater, google "Infrared-Patio-Heater-Floor-standing-2kW-Adexa" you'll see what I mean - looks like the one I will test this year. Thanks for the feedback - everyday is a school day here :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Avoid anything fueled or with an exposed heating element/superhot Halogen Bulb if you're painting or using stuff like meths etc just incase of fire risk.
No idea what the Infrareds are like but oil Radiators aren't bad and will hold their heat for a while after switched off so doesn't need to be switched on long.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Given your heating 60ft and seeing I have approx 14ft x 11ft I hope a 2kw is more than enough to handle the wintry months.

I went for this one...fixed to wall opposite drivers.

So far, so good!

·
Registered
42 Posts
True, but track area is just 24ft by 8ft. You're right though in that we normally only use the 2kw setting...has to be cold and us very keen for the 3kw!!

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
I suggest any way that does not produce moisture as a by product of combustion, so you need a ‘dry’ source of heat which really leaves you with electricity. So on that note, let me throw a curved ball. Electric under floor heating.
There are many DIY kits although the actual wiring requires a professional. A layer of insulation, then lay the heating mat down with a laminate floor on top. That’s how I did my conservatory a few years ago, unfortunately, I don’t remember the name of the company that I bought it from but there are plenty online to choose from.

Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live in Australia Melbourne. Tempretures in my 6m x 9m fully lined brick garage, range from 10 deg: c to 30 deg: c in the garage.
Due mainly to three metal garage doors, 1double and 2single. 1front and 1 rear. Using a 3 bar fan assisted electric heater

takes the tempreture up from 10deg to 14deg in about 20 minutes, plus as I have it just a couple of feet from where I normerly
sit, with the fan blowing in my direction! Instant warmth for me!!! These figures have been calculated from a gage about
15ft from where the heater is but not in a direct line.Heater runs off one of a simple 10 amp, 4 plug extension lead.

Why are the top lines so dark? No idea, 17 year old computer!! Hasta Le Vista!!??! :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Reactions: PatB
1 - 17 of 17 Posts