SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have had these plans for the Chaparral 2J from Mark Gussin's site, in 1/32nd scale for some time. I did not want to do a vac body mold, as there did not seem to be much interest in one that I could find. And not many vac lovers out there for the effort. The nice resin one made by Peter Pre was great but he only made so many and I missed out on one.

So what to do? Hmmm! make my own, one off body, out of sheet technology,as some one called it. Or was that Sh-- technology?

Anyway I had done this before with my Marconi 2001 entry a sheet styrene bodied 86 March Indy car. That was a hard one to make with 43 pieces of styrene glued together. The Chap 2J should be a dream, a shoe box basically on wheels. Uh Huh!

Well anyway, the project is started and here is a run down on it so far. As it gets finished I will add the photos as I get there. Starting with the picture of the resin one of Peter Pre's version, photgraphed by Mark Gussin I believe.

Maybe some one else is crazy ebough to give it a try also. So as I go along I will update with more current shots of it's progression. Or if it goes in the dumpster. Brass chassis also coming for it. Even though a slightly modified ProSlot sidewinder should fit right in say the Porsche GT3 or GT2

It's a big wide car that should look good with the VMG vanquish Can-Am cars they are coming out with in 1/28th scale.

Have had a bit more time after the holiday to work on the Chapj2j. added some gussets to the sides and nose for strength and cut the holes in the rear body for the model railroad fans to fit over.

I made holes to get the air out from under the box body. I may make the fan blades spin, for fun as the air passes through on some pin shafts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow! Larry as always, I'm very impressed and pleased!

I really enjoy seeing your work. Thank you for sharing it.

To hold one of the cars (and gaze at it), you have made would be neat.

I wish I had something as good to show, but I don't.

Thanks Larry I expect you to post future projects.

Victor

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Excellent work!
I look forward to the finished item.

How about building the whole process into a 'how to make styrene bodied cars' ?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE How about building the whole process into a 'how to make styrene bodied cars' ?
I echo that - Larry's beautifully illustrated how-tos are always great!
Larry, polystyrene is notoriously a little fragile.
Have you done any 'bullet-proofing' on this body or intend to?
This is an area that interests me greatly after smashing a number of styrene kits to smithereens in the 60s!

·
Registered
398 Posts
One should not venture out with fragile vehicles if one is not up to keeping out of trouble Tropi.

Yes there will be some small gussets added in envisioned locale's to prevent de-lamination of the vehicle in some happenstances beyond the drivers control.

Have not had many problems with my other styrene vehicle sent in to several proxy race envents and my bashing of it locally, since early 2001. I lost a small chip from the small front cast resin nose tip in Tasmania. Then one small left rear side wing when a 1/24th car hit it while I was testing it before the Marconi Proxy. Any other damage has been slight paint scrapes etc. from racing. It still looks decent after many laps of hard racing. The box shape Chaparral 2J should be even tougher I hope. Damage should not be be as bad as the standard damage the euro bodies I have, have displayed or the resin ones. As I say, most anything buildable is fixable if you want to.

My Styrene 43 piece 86 March Indy proxy car still in good shape.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Larry: I see we read the same books! I started the very same project about a month ago but as usual managed to get sidetracked . I made the top in 30thou and heated it so it would bend easier.The back panel is still not in as I have not managed to find any 21 blade fans! So instead of finishing the Chappy I have now almost finished an ELFIN ME 5 body that raced here in Aussie! I had been goint to try and build a body that way since seeing your TTPR Indy car! These sports cars are reasonably easy. I was surprised that it was not as hard as I originally thought.

Phil

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With some more time available I have sanded the body down after filling and given it two coats of white. Then I have used some stick on brushed aluminum vinyl stick on sheet to make the center parts on the Chap that show aluminum sheet.

Added a few decals. Still looking for a couple of decals for it yet.

Then I will add the rear fans, put in a driver and compartment and instrument panel. Then build the angle winder brass wire chassis for this one. Shaping up decently I think for sheet technology.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sheet technology update #3 Final-------

Have the Chapparal 2J just about finished just need a few minor details added such as some tail lights and the fan drive covers in the rear. It now has a TSRF 1/32nd scale chassis fitted up and runs real nicely on our local commercial track. Should be good for some runs in Vegas at the Convention.
Here are a couple shots of it as it is now. All the body work is done with styrene sheet glued together as posted about earlier.

Been lots of fun doing it this way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.