SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hey guys, here's the first (extremely blurry, due to carp camera) pictures of my (poorly made, due to inexperience) Lotus Elise, soon to be ready for the Small Car Proxy event.

The chassis is mainly carbon fiber around a Slot.It motor mount. The guide and front axel holder is a heavily modified Ninco CLK DTM unit. It also has a couple of wooden batons on at the moment, partly to mount the body later, partly to disguise the true inginuity of the chassis
. Front wheels are Carrera with cut down Ninco tyres, and back end is all Slot.It, motor is Proslot Evo 4.

The body is from Pendle and required quite a bit of work. I'm pretty sure that I shortened the life of my lungs quite considerably with the amount of resin that I had to grind away, including a full interior plate which was about 5mm thick!

I'm quite pleased with it and it runs very well around Eastcote but I haven't tried it with the body because it isn't mounted yet.

Next problem is the livery. I have a couple of options: street livery, British Racing Green with Yellow middle stripe, or (my personal favourite) JPS livery with a little Ayrton Senna sitting in it
. What do you guys think?

Erm... that's pretty much it... guess I have to show the pics now... they're very blurry, did I mention? Don't be too harsh...

* Cowers in the shadows... *

McLaren

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Nothing for you to be ashamed of McLaren. You have done it. Strength to your arm old son.Keep at it.
Alfetta

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent Work Mclaren, looks to be a real flyer.
Welcome to the Club..............

Regards

Alan

PS exactly how many pints had you drunk before taking the photo's?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me? None. Camera? About 10...

Can't wait to get it painted and mounted.

What's your opinion on the paint sceme ideas?

McLaren

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah to two grey ones behind look brilliant!
Isn't one of them a bit like Battlestar Gallactica?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Looking good
, the BRG with yellow stripe would be my favourite scheme for it.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Sorry to be serious for a moment but you must be very careful when working with resin that dust is very harmful. There's nothing wrong with that chassis by the way.

David

·
Registered
979 Posts
Get work McLaren - that conversion looks tricky due to the small body length, width and height - can't wait to see the pics when its finished. I think the JPS scheme would look 'the dogs'!

Russell - is the a static or a full on slot car?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Welcome to the world of scratchbuilding, McLaren!
Nice job, but next time don't shoot pics through the aquarium!
Seriously, welcome to another fun aspect of slot racing - I hope you get the bug and continue with it!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys...

Body is mounted now. Velcro along the sides of the wooden batons and on the inside. Works like a charm.

Just need a WINDSCREEN now, to finish the interior, get it painted and robert's your mother's brother.

My first comlpete scratchbuild! ... kindof...

So the two questions are:

Where can I find, or how to I make a windscreen?

What do you think I should do for the paintjob?
(see first post for options)

McLaren

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
This is a Porsche resin recast I built a couple of years ago with a simple windscreen I made from some clear plastic packaging material. I fashioned a screen template out of paper by trial and error until I got the shape about right then traced it onto the plastic sheet. I rolled the plastic between my fingers to give it a bit of a curve and glued it to the body with 5 minute epoxy. It's not perfect but as it gets knocked off in a crash every now and again it doesn't have to be.

David

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one David!

You've also reminded me of a post I read a while ago of someone cutting curved shapes out of Coke bottles and the like.

Right, paint sceme anyone?

McLaren

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Fab, Mac!
Personally I'd go for the Gold Leaf Colours, otherwise a nice sparky bright yellow.
Only because I want the BRG for my Lotus 23.
Coke bottles and general clear plastic packaging is a great source for screens if you have the patience to rummage through for the righht shape. Easter egg packs are my favourite resource! If it's a simple curve, a little heat from a hairdryer and a suitable radius jam-jar or something will work very well as a mould. Otherwise, you're stuck with the task of carving a mould from wood or resin or summat, and heat-moulding some thin plastic over it.
Good luck!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
It may be sacrilege.... but Yellow with a Brit Racing Green stripe! A guy with an MR2 (yes, I know it's not British!) near work has it painted this way and it looks fabulous! A sort of "negative" approach.
It will also be easier for drivers to see on track.

You can use any thin lexan or PET-based plastic for the windscreen/windows, though if it doesn't conform on its own you may be forced to hold it there till the "5-min epoxy" dries - usually closer to 6-8 minutes before the plastic wants to "regain its memory". If you can get a piece to hold its shape, then perfect!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Made the prototype windscreen today out of a 2 litre coke bottle neck.

It's a bit rough round the edges, but I'm away from my tools so it'll do for the prototype. At least I know what to do when it's sprayed...

WHICH I STILL CAN'T DECIDE ON!!!! DAMMIT

There's soooooo many good ideas.... And I really don't want to regret painting it the wrong colours... spraying will commence next Sunday unless I get time to do it earlier... Wednesday perhaps...

Watch this space for a painted Elise or at the least a few curses...

McLaren

McLaren

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hehe... the camera was on outdoor (bright sunshine), long range mode....

When changed to indoor, macro mode I got these slightly better pics (first two in the first post). Shows just how carp my camera is....

Can't wait to get a better shot when the good camera is home next week. Although then you'll be able to see the full horror...

McLaren

1 - 20 of 20 Posts