SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, when I want to shim a bodypost to prevent it from splitting, what size tubing should I use, is their a standard size to fit most bodyposts in general or are they all different. Was mainly wanting to do Racer Sideways and Slot.it bodyposts, and some Scalextric and SCX, all 1/32 slot cars.
Also what type of tubing do I use, plastic or aluminium or any other type?.
Is it the evergreen brand type tubing that I should buy, that would do the job?

So basically I would like to find out what size and what material tubing to use, I would prefer not to have to buy too many different sized diameter tubes as they all cost a fair few quid for what they are, so was hoping that a certain size would be used in general to do this job, but if I need to buy a few sizes I will do so.

Any advice, comments, facts or tips appreciated, thankyou kindly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi f1rem0uth
What I have always found useful is heat shrink sleeving from your local Maplin or other electrical supply shop cut to length, slip on and add a little heat. one size fits all ( well almost if you are talking bodyposts ) and you can get it in loads of colours.
john

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thankyou for the great tip, never thought of that one, I actually already have a selection of sizes in heatshrink tubing, may give that a try in a bit.
Although I don't have any split body posts at the moment to fix, it seems this can be common issue to buy a brand new slot car and to find up on opening up the car for the first time that one of the body posts will be split, its happened to me once and I have only purchased a about half a dozen new cars since being into this hobby only a few moths, its a bit annoying at first to see this after spending a nice few quid on a new car, but after a while you begin to realise this is just the way it is with new slot cars, nearly all my new cars have had some kind of minor/major fault/defect.
Only the other day I was reading about this guy who purchased a brand new Racer Sideways and that had a split body post, I thought these were supposed to be decently made.
The idea of using shrink tube sounds good idea, not sure how strong it will be, I guess as a quick fix it would be fine, but I think the use of an aluminium shim/tube would be stronger in the long run - but I wonder if it could be too strong, because I think the tubing should expand a little anyway after the screw is inserted, I would have thought anyway.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I have a Ninco body off in front of me at the moment, and it is 4mm id alloy tube which fits.

When making my own body posts I use 3mm id tube, the insulation off mains cable fits neatly inside and gives a good grip to body screws.

I also install a long 2mm allen screw in the top, and this enables adjustment of body ride height before aralditing in place !!.

Racing Tip. Turn off the mains before scrounging cable !!.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the help, 4mm aluminium tube, that sounds about right, ok thankyou, I'll go see how much it is.
I just ordered some Evergreen plastic styrene tubing a few days ago, as I'm hoping to use it to fix an SCX guide, as it keeps popping out, I'm going to attempt to cut a piece and use it as a shim around the top of the guide flag post, it may need araldite or glue to hold it, it's 3/16th or 4.8mm outer diameter, I can't remember the internal diameter now, but it must be about 4mm, thinking about it know this may even be the size I need for the bodyposts as well, I know its not aluminium and I'm not sure how strong this stuff is though as I've never seen or used it before.

Ok, thankyou for all tips, really appreciated. Mark.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (f1rem0uth @ 27 Nov 2011, 16:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, thanks for the help, 4mm aluminium tube, that sounds about right, ok thankyou, I'll go see how much it is.
I just ordered some Evergreen plastic styrene tubing a few days ago, as I'm hoping to use it to fix an SCX guide, as it keeps popping out, I'm going to attempt to cut a piece and use it as a shim around the top of the guide flag post, it may need araldite or glue to hold it, it's 3/16th or 4.8mm outer diameter, I can't remember the internal diameter now, but it must be about 4mm, thinking about it know this may even be the size I need for the bodyposts as well, I know its not aluminium and I'm not sure how strong this stuff is though as I've never seen or used it before.

Ok, thankyou for all tips, really appreciated. Mark.

I just checked and the 3/16th evergreen styrene tubing is 4mm internal diameter, which should fit perfectly over a bodypost to work as a sleeve, not sure if it will be as good as aluminium though?, I'll wait and see if I can use this before buying the aluminium tubing as I already have this styrene tubing on order.
Note: not all 3/16 tubing has the same internal diameter, check before buying!.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, I have just seen that Slotting Plus are selling ready cut Aluminium body post shims, they come in two lengths - a short one and a little bit longer one. See the Slotting Plus advert/post on the opening screen on this forum.
Wish I knew what size they are internal and external diameter size, as it doesn't say, and I would want to make sure they fit before I purchased any, it only says the lengths.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (f1rem0uth @ 29 Nov 2011, 21:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all, I have just seen that Slotting Plus are selling ready cut Aluminium body post shims, they come in two lengths - a short one and a little bit longer one. See the Slotting Plus advert/post on the opening screen on this forum.
Wish I knew what size they are internal and external diameter size, as it doesn't say, and I would want to make sure they fit before I purchased any, it only says the lengths.

Derr!, the guy in the post above CJA has already told me the answer to this!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (f1rem0uth @ 27 Nov 2011, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just checked and the 3/16th evergreen styrene tubing is almost 4mm internal diameter, which should fit perfectly over a bodypost to work as a sleeve, not sure if it will be as good as aluminium though?, I'll wait and see if I can use this before buying the aluminium tubing as I already have this styrene tubing on order.
Note: not all 3/16 tubing has the same internal diameter, check before buying!.
No no!, this tubing I have here is too tight to shim a bodypost with, I did manage to do one rear post, but was to tight on the front post, it may do some but is really a little to tight for most. So I will get another tubing, will be metal this time, that styrene tubing was for my SCX guide posts anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts