SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

ParrotGod
You beat me to it ;-)
To be honest I am not surprised...I kind of knew it was coming.
Sideways is really going hard on GT3...really nice.

ParrotGod
And before the Small-Wheels Karens start complaining at the huge gaps in the wheel arches, this is the initial prototype and we know that these do not look anything like the final product!

Premium Member
Image would be nice...like this. Picture tells more than a thousand words.
And in this picture.. with the low rider stance....the chassis is already on the floor.
Doesn't do right to the relative proper dimensions, relative as compared to what they did with the "B6"

But hey still a good thing that Sideways is doing the "B4"
Couldn't be missed by anyone trying to form up a current GT3 grid
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

With kind regards
Tamar

ParrotGod
If you look at the images of 3dp prototypes (as the one above) for both the bentley and the lexus they also looked off.
We will know more for sure when they will post the pics of the black prototype.

Registered
Sideways, if you're reading PLEASE do something about the ride height. The Lambo was fine.

If we want to jack it up at the back ourselves, we can add washers.

Easier to add washers than trying to make it lower....

Registered
Sideways, if you're reading PLEASE do something about the ride height. The Lambo was fine.

If we want to jack it up at the back ourselves, we can add washers.

Easier to add washers than trying to make it lower....
Yep, agreed, Lambo is the best slot car Sideways has released, followed by the McLaren, Ford Gt and M6, in that order(imo)馃榾

Tel
Again the large arches/small wheels thing going on, and, i'll side with Wankel on the ugly thing, but hey sideways are at least knocking out a lot of new cars.

Maybe someone will get to introducing some 2mm offset pods and larger hubs/ tyres so we can run more scale accurate wheels without 4x4 ground clearances :)

Registered
Again the large arches/small wheels thing going on, and, i'll side with Wankel on the ugly thing, but hey sideways are at least knocking out a lot of new cars.

Maybe someone will get to introducing some 2mm offset pods and larger hubs/ tyres so we can run more scale accurate wheels without 4x4 ground clearances :)
Maybe that would be easy with a 3dp Motormount, 2mm offset and the 16.9 wheels馃槈

Premium Member
We don't need bigger hubs, current 鈮17mm wheels with 14,9 -15mm酶 scale hub are spot on for a 1/32nd 18 inch rim.
What we need are taller tires...and they are available. NSR GT comes at 21,6mm酶, Slot.it PT1323 21,5mm酶 etc. etc.

True scale tire sizes will differ per car, All GT3 cars must run on max 18 inch rims, but as you can see in the image below (taken from the 2019 Asian LM series rulebook), the front tires range from a 325/660 to 325/705. The rear tires are all 325/705 which scaled down to 1/32 should be a whopping 10,5 x 22,0 mmm
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Screenshot

Stock Sideways releases its cars with a 鈮21mm wheel (20x11 GT tire on a 17,3 air rim) with an 0,5 mm offset pod.
So if you fit better scaled (taller) tires on a stock pod, any increase in tire diamater will raise the rear of you car by half that amount.

Slot.it realized that when they changed the rear tires for the Nissan GTR-GT3 from the PT1207 C1 to the taller PT1323 They are now in the process of releasing a 1,25mm offset AW Evo pod to compensate the larger (21,5mm酶) diameter of the PT1323 tires now fitted to both the Nissan GT3 and the Group C XJ-10.
At a later stage the bigger offset will also become available for the SW pods.

With kind regards
Tamar

Premium Member

Premium Member
Sideways have introduced more cars in the past 18 months than Scaleauto has in the past decade !
Factual incorrect, in the past decade...
Sideways produced so far: Aston Martin Vantage LM, Ford GTLM (although both technically not GT3), BMW M6 GT3, Lambo Huracan GT3, McLaren 720s GT3.
Scaleauto produced: Audi R8 LM, BMW Z4 GT3, Corvette C7R, Porsche 911,Porsche 996 LM (although Vette & Porsche technically not GT3), Honda/Acura NSX GT3, Mercedes SLS GT3, Mercedes AMG GT3

And its not really a fair comment, all you can say is that Sideways has "ordered" more GT3 cars in the past 18 month than most of its competitiors.

First of all a lot has changed in a decade..specifically when it comes to the design of (slot)cars. The 3D(p) revolution has changed the industry as much as the copier or Desktop publishing has done for the graphic industry. Its gone Digital.
Before each (slot)car manufacturer would acquire a license from the license owner, and then have its own people physically make the masters for their injection moulding tooling. A lengthy process with several cylcles of sending pre production version to the license owner for approval. And with maybe two dozen tool/master makers world wide.

These day's most manufacturers will try to evade the whole licensing process (also because the license owners have gone mental on their fees) and just order the car from the Chinese factories. Who can by now also do the 3d modeling (ok that's very simplified). And should they not be able to do so...there are now hundreds of talented wizz kids online that start doing 3D models of cars as soon as the first presentation shots come online.

I mean, I've had a 3D file of the BMW M4 on my laptop since 2021, bought it online for 鈧50
Wheel Car Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

Secondly..Sideways "only" does 1/32nd slot cars where as Scaleauto in that same decade has developed a whole 1/24 scale range..expanded their 1/32nd range of parts and cars...and realized a ground up track system. Each new tooling requiring part of their investment budget.
Same goes for Slot.it with the investment redeveloping the Policar brand and Oxigen Digital.

Third and foremost...not all of Sideways produce seems to have gotten the same amount of detail and preparation.It does require a lot of experience transforming the 3D files into Production tooling...and with some of the Sideways cars there's were you get the impression that that process has been rushed. Last but not least quality control and prepping the white kits for shipment can be erratic.

In general Iwould agree with GD's assement of rating the Sideways cars.
Still I welcome any new (GT3) product that they announce, considering what they've done with the Gr5 cars...they can deliver the goods.

With kind regards
Tamar

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Image would be nice...like this.
Point of order, Mr Chairman: personally I appreciate the continued existence of Slotcarpassion and the effort I assume that requires, hence I like to link to them, and maybe drive a little traffic to them, rather than just lift photos (Granted, they may have lifted the photos from the socials in the first place). 馃檹

As you were.

Tel
We don't need bigger hubs, current 鈮17mm wheels with 14,9 -15mm酶 scale hub are spot on for a 1/32nd 18 inch rim.
With kind regards
Tamar
Nearly sir Tamar :)
18" wheels are actually larger than 18" at the outside beads.
so what we actually need is 15.5mm at the visible hub, which is equal to 17.7mm wheels, these can be obtained from some manufacturers, but not in air hubs sadly.
Then we could use some suitably sized inserts too.
But yes, at current state of play a 17.3mm is the nearest, and with a suitably taller profile tyre we are close.
As far as I am aware , in performance orientated compounds, we don't yet have anything that is 22mm on a 17.3 rim.

A 19mm diameter tyre with a 1mm offset is close to track scraping (on a flat track) with the pod/chassis, so ideally as we can just about manage 21.5 tyre if we don't have too true too much of it, a 2mm offset pod would put us in the same ball park and be perfect for a 22mm tyre on a 17.7mm rim. :)

Tel
Additional, it actually looks like the Sideways 17.3mm rim is 15.3 at the hub, so near as dammitt :)
Just need some nice 22mm tyres from Slot.it and NSR then 馃お

Premium Member
Additional, it actually looks like the Sideways 17.3mm rim is 15.3 at the hub, so near as dammitt :)
Just need some nice 22mm tyres from Slot.it and NSR then 馃お
Totally agree Tell, but also depends on how the inserts are shaped. Sideways inserts have always been made with the "scale" bead as part of their inserts. Unfortunately for most of the slotters that don't pay much attention to that area..its means that the inserts stick outside the tyre. 馃檲

When I commission my inserts from Rendel design I usually have them designed in such a way that the bead of the metal rim serves as the outside edge for the insert.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Works wonders for the AMG's with the colored rim beads.

As for tires, there are also good 22 tires from Scaleauto and some Urethane producers.

With kind regards
Tamar

1 - 20 of 49 Posts