SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I agree, very nice job there Atobit, compliments on the decal design and paint job. But ....not all good news at least for my appreciation of the "slottification" applied by Sideways.

Not so visible in the 'Black edition" pictures that Pete-slot posted, but on your white and red 2017 Ring livery...its so clear that Sideways has taken the fact that the M6 is a "coupe" very literally.

This is not a Grand Touring coupe, this is nothing less than a M6 with a considerable roof chop
wacko.png

with kind regards
Tamar

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
You are correct Tamar about the roof. I did check the Sideways dimensions compared to the drawing i use to prepare the decals, which I assumed to be close to the real car.

AJquaipl.png

In drawing, "Modele" is the Sideways measures, "Dessin" is the drawing ones.

Not in the above picture but from the bottom of the car to the top of door the Sideways model is close to the drawing but from there the roof is at a much lower level that the drawing, by about 2.5mm, which give the impression you have mentioned.

Claude

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Thanks! The Autobacs is nice, but it is not black but chrome at the side and the back of the car, missing in the proposed decals. Never the less, it can be painted or you can put chrome decals prior the orange decals application.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Hello Peter, Black Chrome from Bare metal foil would be an option for your Autobacs M6
And yes Atobit, would not be the first time such cases of "slottification" was noticed first by an independent decal maker.
thumbsup.gif

Based on their accurate Gr-5's and the wonderful Lambo, I was really looking forward to this car when they announced it.
Was expecting a light and well proportioned M6, no need to spend hours with the Dremel, no need to buy an aftermarket chassis.
But as the Sideways M6 GT3 is now...with the roof chop and the increased width....said proportions are really stretched to the limit of what I would call acceptable

Its a shame though, Sideways has a very good reputation where it comes to "True Scale" models. And besides the roof chop the M6 really looks good and accurate.
I don't know, maybe someone at Sideways got cold feet, worries that the M6 might be too tall to be competitive in the GT3 field, or maybe too over ambitious, trying to out perform their own Huracan.
Whatever the reason, from a competition point of view the ≠ 2,5 mm roof chop is overkill, totally unnecessary. The amount of material that's lowered to improve the Centre of Gravity minimal.
(as the main mass of the car body remains unchanged)

On a slot car a higher CG is not always a disadvantage, as we found out while testing our Scalex Ford GT LM. "Ultra Leggere"
After all the efforts I made to get the bodyweight down so we could place ballast down low...we noticed that it actually ran faster with ballast mounted high in the body.

I.m.o a missed opportunity, as Sideways has the tools and parts to make good competitive slot cars with respect of the overall proportions.
The M6 is a big and tall car, but it also has a long wheel and guide base. So it will never be as nimble on turn in as a Mclaren or a Huracan...

...but coming out of a corner...you would be able to floor it earlier.
Ask me how I know
innocent.gif

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Tel
4,062 Posts
Yeah That roof chop has been bugging me a bit, if they wanted to lower it a little thay could have done it from the skirts up and kept a semblance of proportions.

Likewise the all to common (from a lot of makers) oversized arches.

But hey ho …. maybe that will put me off buying one … or not, I used to be indecisive, but now I am not so sure.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
What shall I say Savage, In the land of the blind..the one eye is king.
And I agree most slot pundits will happily turn a blind eye to Sideways "Slottification" of the M6 GT3 to have a good and competitive slot car.
Which it would have been even at the correct true scale width, length and height.

Just check the images of the body inside... I think but a few of you will notice the beauty and attention of detail Sideways has given to the injection moulds inner surface.
It really is a hard body, not an ounce of excess fat to be seen, clean cast, well placed feed points, very few extra bits of body work needing to be assembled.

Those slight oval "egg shaped wheel arches tell me that they have messed with the x,y,z axes of the lower body as well...
..compounding the effect are the likewise (from a lot of makers) undersized wheels.
lmfao.gif

Wheel inserts however, very much true scale....what a beauties they are.

It could have been the perfect BMW M6 so why, why, why
ohmy.png

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Tel
4,062 Posts
I agree Tamar, I think Sideways makes some great cars with well made yet svelte bodies , and generally I don't mind some "slotification" of cars to keep performances similar within the range.

But the roof kind of jumps out at me everytime I look at it, and I am not convinced it needed to be so drastic to still be a performer, as you also seem to think.

The arches overlarge look is not uncommon, but still another bugbear of mine, having said that, this does appear to be more accurate than I thought looking at this photo: https://preview.netcarshow.com/BMW-M6_GT3-2016-1600-1a.jpg

Although it looks better in the second pic down here pic: https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/topics/bmw-m-motorsport/race-cars/bmw-m6-gt3.html

As for wheel sizes 18" is what the real GT3 race car runs, If this model follows the Huracan it will be shod with 17.3mm rims that have a visible diameter of 15.3 giving a scale size of 19.25", so actually oversize.

A 15.8mm rim would show 13.8mm, a scale 17.3", so a 16.5 would sit around a scale 18.2" wheel size.

The tyres at 20mm though are lower profile than the real ones, which at 710mm OD would scale to 22.1mm

Seeing that sort of OD on most slot cars is pretty unusual, I dare say Carrera would be there or thereabouts. Not much, if any, in the 1/32 slot car performance brands have much over 20mm OD.

We would need a serious offset pod to get cars with 22mm OD tyres to a low stance on track !

We makes our choices, and pays our monies I guess
cool.png

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Morning Savage

Yep, I think we are on the same page more or less where it comes to scale detail and race performance.

And for those of you reading... from Sideways....my post are certainly not to be interpreted as Manufacturer bashing. I'm posting my constructive criticism here because there's a precedent.
You'd have to go more than a decade back in time to find this story about how initial critique on the release of the NSR Ford GT40 MKIV at first

But how two years later, as the criticism persisted and even increased when they released the Ford GT40 MKII in 2009.
...NSR did address most of the items and did a remake of the Ford in 2010

Now I fully understand both of Salvatores responses, and that the cost of changing the moulds for Sideways would be very similar.
But so would the goodwill they would create by listening to customer feedback, the increase in value of the first batch of chopped M6's as "rare collectable"...

...and maintain their reputation of a company that makes top of the line scale accurate & fast competitive slot cars.

Simply trying to speed up the process
wink.png

with kind regards
Tamar

p.s. As a side effect these posts triggered me to pull one of my planned posts on True Scale, to be or not to be forward from my long list of back logged post .

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I'd not seen either of those NSR posts. Kudos is due to them for both approaches, I think. 👏

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Frankly, that's just rude; flaunting your finished white kit before UK shops even have it listed as something that might show up... one day.

Good job, mind. And I don't like BMWs. Even.

Reactions: longdog

·
Registered
47 Posts
attachicon.gif
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-16 at 17.09.24.jpeg

Look what DHL dropped in front of my door today (corona procedures)
lmfao.gif

with kind regards
Tamar
NIce, Be cautious with the headlights !!! if you attach the front bumper to the body, you'll have difficulties to fit the headlights after.

Better to attach them first to the front bumper and then the front bumper to the body !!!

Enjoy,

Dany

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Oh! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! That's not fair!

Tamar, you lowlife! You said you were offended by the slotification (not a word) of the roof line and weren't going to bother! Meaning there was a spare kicking around in the system.😠

Shabby. Is, as does.

Chance to cock up the headlights would be a fine, fine thing, Dany. 🥺

Anyhoo, moving on, whose decals you going with, Tamar?? Hmmm?🤔

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Hold your horses Peter, my I refer to my post of Jan 6th ?
And this was an Xmas gift from a good friend.....so no spare in the system, more like Santa donning an Easter bunny suit
lmfao.gif

So not guilty your honour.
innocent.gif

In the mean while I have unwrapped the box, and did some trail fitting of the M6 White kit. Have some assessments and could write a post with some assembly tips.
I can concur with Dany that there are certainly some points of attention on how to assemble the white kit.
And if attended to properly, will correct/improve some of the "off scale" appearances of the Sideways M6.

I still feel that most of the slottification on the Sideways M6 was unnecessary ...but now I have had it in my hands and been able to compare it with the Carrera M6...
..it's in the range of "slottification" as seen between the SCX AstonMartin DBR9 and the Black Arrow, or the Scalex AMG GT3 vs the NSR.

What can I say....to be continued?

side-by-side01.png

with kind regards
Tamar

41 - 60 of 268 Posts