SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Tel
4,062 Posts
I know there may have had to be alterations to accept the boxer aw, that to me isn't an issue.
but overall I think it does appear to have lost some of the original cars curves and angles.
No doubt it will be a useful track weapon, if your club accepts it as a GT3 car, which is another debate entirley.

But compare the pics below, shows what I mean about losing a bit of the originals curves and angles:

·
ParrotGod
8,225 Posts
I have to concede that the sideways interpretation looks a bit sharpish but I am still supportive of sideways initiatives: better to have it than not.

·
ParrotGod
8,225 Posts
As far as I know Tamiya does a 1/24 of the road going car (yikes!). If you want to have a slotcar body, then Fola at Slotfabrik has a body for it I believe.
Worth double checking with Fola.
I have got two bodies from him and they look fantastic!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Weight

Just to compare. BMW m6 is listed at 86g and both the NSR corvette c7 and AMG long cans are listed at 88g. Lambo at 85g

·
ParrotGod
8,225 Posts
GDSLOT is correct...but man, I am struggling with the 1/32 to make them smooth and acceptable.
I guess that 1/24 is going to be even worse.
I just hope that they switch all their cars to the new printing method that they have been talking about.
Anyway, I have an "authentic" castrol livery for this car...it is going to look so boring compared with all this nice but fantasy liveries.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well these are not Sideways but Carrera bodies with 3dp chasis from CG slot cars, thought of posting them here just for the sake of comparisson.

As you can see they are equiped with slot it pods and motors, diferent kinds, same gear 11/28, diferent rims size and rubber.

They timed (inner line GDS Test Track) :
Black Ford Gt #67- 5.06 secs
Black Ford Gt #68- 4.82 secs
Blue/Red Ford Gt - 4.77 secs

Not bad at all, curiously the short can motor seemed to go better than the long can, better response.

Still, I'll get one Sideways eventually just to see how much difference really exists. 🙂

Cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well these are not Sideways but Carrera bodies with 3dp chasis from CG slot cars, thought of posting them here just for the sake of comparisson.
View attachment 277953 View attachment 277954

As you can see they are equiped with slot it pods and motors, diferent kinds, same gear 11/28, diferent rims size and rubber.

They timed (inner line GDS Test Track) :
Black Ford Gt #67- 5.06 secs
Black Ford Gt #68- 4.82 secs
Blue/Red Ford Gt - 4.77 secs

Not bad at all, curiously the short can motor seemed to go better than the long can, better response.

Still, I'll get one Sideways eventually just to see how much difference really exists. 🙂

Cheers
was it a tightish track for the short cans to come out on top ?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
was it a tightish track for the short cans to come out on top ?
Yes indeed, if you look at my Track at the Track and Scenery Section youll find that its a small Track, with only two big R3 curves, some inner R1 curves (my favs) and the rest is R2(standar) curves, all Policar Track and Ds laptiming system with Stop & go box.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I am struggling with the 1/32 to make them smooth and acceptable.
I guess that 1/24 is going to be even worse.
On the contrary Gio, as the size of the SLS pellets remains the same for both 1/32 and 1/24 prints the latter will have finer surface detailing than the 1/32 bodies.
So yes, the bigger 1/24 prints will have more surface area that needs to be smoothened, but these bigger surfaces will also be easier to prep and treat. Same number of primer layers required etc etc.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,870 Posts
...Not bad at all, curiously the short can motor seemed to go better than the long can, better response.
That's not surprising, I don't like long cans as the cars don't flow as easily as those with an S-can or short can.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Back on topic, I said I would do a test of the Sideways Gt vs Carrera with 3dp chasis to see how they do on my Track, here are the results:

Sideways is stock, except for the front tires that are zero grip and . 5mm spacers.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Light Purple Magenta Tints and shades Electric blue
Toy Bumper Automotive lighting Gadget Automotive exterior

Carrera with 3dp chasis is Inline Slot it short can(red-Brown), 28/11 gears, with urethane in the rear and zero grip in the front and 1.5mm spacer.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Bumper Gadget Vehicle Red Audio equipment

Almost 5 tenths of difference, but I believe that if I shorten the crown that would give the Carrera two or three extra tenths closer to the Sideways.

So the conclusión IMHO, is that the Ford Gt Sideways is good to race against the other GT3 cars and Lemans GTs.

Cheers

·
ParrotGod
8,225 Posts
I am sure that the sideways Ford GT is a good car but I am not sure if this comparison is fair.
Is the body weight of the two cars the same? I am sure that the carrera body weighs over 50 gr in stock form ;-)
The other aspect is the motor: the long can should have more magnetic power than the short can and this should be taken into account on a plastic track.
I have a whitekit of the sideways ford GT that I want to build...but i am not sure if I am allowing this to race in our GT3 class.
However, when they release the 720S maybe the Ford GT is the only car that will be able to challenge it ;-)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Back on topic, I said I would do a test of the Sideways Gt vs Carrera with 3dp chasis to see how they do on my Track, here are the results:

Sideways is stock, except for the front tires that are zero grip and . 5mm spacers.

View attachment 281746 View attachment 281747 View attachment 281748

Carrera with 3dp chasis is Inline Slot it short can(red-Brown), 28/11 gears, with urethane in the rear and zero grip in the front and 1.5mm spacer.
View attachment 281749 View attachment 281750 View attachment 281751

Almost 5 tenths of difference, but I believe that if I shorten the crown that would give the Carrera two or three extra tenths closer to the Sideways.

So the conclusión IMHO, is that the Ford Gt Sideways is good to race against the other GT3 cars and Lemans GTs.

Cheers
I see that you did not remove the stickers on the Sideways model ...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I am sure that the sideways Ford GT is a good car but I am not sure if this comparison is fair.
Is the body weight of the two cars the same? I am sure that the carrera body weighs over 50 gr in stock form ;-)
The other aspect is the motor: the long can should have more magnetic power than the short can and this should be taken into account on a plastic track.
I have a whitekit of the sideways ford GT that I want to build...but i am not sure if I am allowing this to race in our GT3 class.
However, when they release the 720S maybe the Ford GT is the only car that will be able to challenge it ;-)
To be honest I did it in a hurry because wife called for dinner😁, I will try a deeper test and will change the rear tires of the Carrera 3dp for Scaleauto racing slicks(my favs) maybe with that little upgrade will be even to the Sideways.

Nevertheless I think that the Lambo Sideways still is better than the Ford GT, at least in handling area.

I will also include a picture of the track, just to clear any doubts about the layout.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
What stickers? 🤔
Oh! I See, those stickers, 😅
At first glance I didnt realize that there were two stickers in the body, one in the windshield and the other in the wing, found the sticker wing just moments before the first test but I found the windshield sticker just after reading FastLuckys post, hehehe, ups!
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

41 - 60 of 72 Posts