SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got back in the game last month, and have been trying some different cars from manufactures I've not seen before. All I can say is don't expect this one to come RTR. 1st issue was the front axle adjustment screws were cranked so far in that the front tires were actually so high they could not spin or even close to touching the track, and the front body screw post was making contact with the front axle, and would not allow it to turn freely also. I was finally able to lower the front axle so the tires were just lightly touching the track and turning like I like them to be. The front body post had to be sanded down to allow the front axle to turn freely. The rear wing needs to be glued on no biggie there. Now the good parts the motor, motor pod, and gear mesh were very nice. Looks like slot it chassis, and all slot it parts to me, but I am still learning the NEW stuff ;) Body paint job,and decals were pretty good. After about 2-3 hours of tuning I got it running some nice laps. Anyone know what size those front axle adjustment screws are?

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Asphalt

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Asphalt

· ParrotGod
12,580 Posts
Those are M2 grub screws.
I am not sure why the front post needs any sanding to make the front axle turn freely.
It sounds not right to me...I have build one of these and did not have that problem.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are M2 grub screws.
I am not sure why the front post needs any sanding to make the front axle turn freely.
It sounds not right to me...I have build one of these and did not have that problem.
That's what I thought but MAN who ever put them in they were REALLY tight. Yeah the front body post touching the front axle was a real PIA, but I made it work. It's and OK car, but I think it I like scaleauto stuff better. I am waiting on polycar and thunderslot pre orders.

· ParrotGod
12,580 Posts
although Sideays and Scaleauto are two of my fav manufactures, I have found issues with both.
I agree that the grub screws are tighten a bit too strongly. At one point I had to buy a new chassis for an M6 because of this issue.
But the front post rubbing against the axle is more of a design issue which I have not see in the mclaren I built a while back.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible that with the wheels being tight against the body the chassis has been bent between the axle and body post causing the axle to rub on the post?
That was my 1st thought too, just eyeballing it it does not appear to be, but it was absolutely touching the front axle. Not really sure if its the body or the chassis, but I was able to get it working by taking some plastic off the body post and not cranking the front body screw down tight, and the car seemed to prefere the body semi loose any ways.

· Registered
709 Posts
I buy a heap of m2x6 screws for axle adjustment and also for the braids. Get them cheap off ebay.

I personally love sideways, the group 5 and also 2 lambos i built.

Not a fan of scaleauto, i do hope you give sideways another chance...

· Registered
166 Posts
I took my Sideways McLaren 720S and raced it straight out of the box. No tuning, no truing, no setting of the front wheels or anything and came in a close second to my Ford GT in a 125 lap digital race. Same with my Aston Martin Vantage. I just bought a Scaleauto RS series Porsche 911 and had to change the motor, guide, replace and true the tires and it still was .5 seconds off the pace of my Sideways cars. This is on Scalextric sport track. For GT3 cars it’s Sideways for me. I did find their generic F1s to be great cars however. ( They hold the lap record on my track)

Mike M.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took my Sideways McLaren 720S and raced it straight out of the box. No tuning, no truing, no setting of the front wheels or anything and came in a close second to my Ford GT in a 125 lap digital race. Same with my Aston Martin Vantage. I just bought a Scaleauto RS series Porsche 911 and had to change the motor, guide, replace and true the tires and it still was .5 seconds off the pace of my Sideways cars. This is on Scalextric sport track. For GT3 cars it’s Sideways for me. I did find their generic F1s to be great cars however. ( They hold the lap record on my track)

Mike M.
Yep my scaleauto F1 holds my track record too (Carrera track) even faster then my NSR F1. I have not wrote off sideways completly. Like I said for a non-magnet car I did get it running pretty good, and didn't have to invest any dollars just a lot of time ;)

· Registered
7 Posts
Interesting, I purchased a white kit and had the same front axle/body post rubbing situation, tried different axles, then ground some plastic off the post and run the front screw loose also fitted a set of Staffs deep dish rims and its better but I still get some body vibration at the front

· ParrotGod
12,580 Posts
Another option are NSR 5216. You have to cut the sidewalls to bring them down to 10mm but the have a lot of grip and work well with the airsystem wheels by Sideways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts