SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
The little bits are still in their bags, will need to carefully inventory them when the tail section arrives and I can figure out all I’m supposed to have. Just two noses and no tail among the big parts.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I must be really lucky,I have had a lambo,2xM6s and the new 720.white kits and have had nothing missing.The 720 is by far the easiest to put together.
Good to hear. I’m on my second M6 which came with all the pieces as did the first, but they are a bit tricky to assemble. Looking forward to building the 720

·
Registered
918 Posts
A brand new complete white kit arrived today from my retailer. Apparently they received several units with similar missing parts issues so they are replacing the whole thing for me to harvest the tail section and use the rest for spares. Way to step up, Electric Dreams and Sideways!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Car Hood Product Vehicle Automotive lighting

When I put these Slotfabrik decals next to the painted body, it became clear that the main part of the roof/rear deck section was not going to work for me. To many ducts and louvers to shape around for my skill level. Tamiya TS15 blue on the way. It should match well and I will use the thin wings on the sides of this section on the side panels of the cockpit.
Looking at pictures of the 1:1 cars nose and tail sections, it looks like they are that they are not flat, not gloss but powder coated look black. I guess I’ll coat matte black with semi-gloss clear. Looks like lots of masking and re-masking ahead.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Does anyone have an image of the rear of the Singha car? Seems each team used a slightly different paint pattern for the black vs. body color and I haven’t found a tail view of this one.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My photo of the decals makes the blue look darker than they are. I may use the pearl clear TS 65 as my finish coat instead of the usual gloss clear to get the slightly metallic/satin finish. The angles look good but you never really know for sure until you cut them and try to fit them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Unable to use any of the roof/rear deck decal because of multiple intricate ducts. I studied the decal sheet in all kinds of light before choosing the paint, but after I had already sprayed I cut out the roof section out to start on the others and looked at it in bright sunlight, sure enough it is a very subtle metallic. Oh,well. I’m hoping the pearl clear coat will bail me out and blend it in.

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

And yes, Wankel, none of the Tamiya rattle can shades of blue are just right. Sometimes you just have to go with what is available. Just building for my own enjoyment so it’s really no big deal. I’m having fun in that frustrating way that is part of the slot car experience.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Definitely the most difficult model I’ve ever done. And I haven’t even done the decals for the rounded surface on the front of the mirrors. I’ll post progress pics tomorrow when daylight returns.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Vehicle Hood Toy Automotive lighting Car

Not happy with the yellow paint pen experiment. Lots of detail to tidy up. Will do some tests of the Pearl Clear finish on some scrap styrene. The decal sheet did not include a blue piece for the rear quarter panel behind the wheel, but I have the unused roof/rear deck decal and have made a template so I’ll be working on that today.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nice color. Agree with the .headlight openings - they are right there in your face with any flaws. I painted the back and bottom 1/3 of the cockpit side vents black then painted the rest the body color as that seemed closest to the 1:1 Singha car.
Bicycle tire Wood Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part

I spent a hour making blue decals for the rear quarter panel and fitting them. The car looked awful. Same for the piece I added to the nose to extend the one provided all the way to the edge of the nose. Off they came. Some things that look good on the 1:1 cars just don’t translate to the scale version.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ah, I was thinking of progress photos, Gio. I'm doing white kits vicariously at the moment. 🙄

Mickey, I like the look of that car of yours. 👍

Ach! I still have yet to commit to decals and that set keep going in and out and out and in favour. Seeing yours they're back in.👍
Thanks. It looks like the Tamiya TS 79 Pearl Clear has just the right tiny metallic look to match the roof to the decals. Looks like I’ll need the matte clear for the front and rear. Regular clear for the rest of the body. I’ve never used three different types of clear coat before!

·
Registered
918 Posts
The basement track room has been too cold to do any meaningful laps. Warm weather is supposed to move in this week so hopefully I can fire up the Trackmate and get some comparisons run. I’ll post the results in a few days. It feels good on the few tests laps so far.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Angry? No, just very disappointed. It is a difficult body to decorate at home because of all the vents and louvres, so I was looking forward to a tampo printed version from Sideways. Hate that they went with a fantasy livery.
My track room warmed up enough to get some timed laps in today. Mine is running about mid-pack among my GT3 cars. Seems a little tail happy now but I haven’t done any real tuning yet, just the usual setting up a little body and chassis float and rounding off the outer edge of the silicone tires. Not quite as quick as the Sideways M6 with a 25 k Shark with a 10 tooth pinion in the stock AW pod. NSR AMG and Corvette C7 are at the top on my 40ft. wood home track. Glad to get back to running the cars after a late winter cold spell.

·
Registered
918 Posts
A ten minute tune-up was all it took! I loosened the pod screws 1/4 turn and added 4gm of lead in front of the motor. Gone is the tail happy attitude and it handles great. Smooth, consistent, fast lap times move it into my top three in class.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.