SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Hi,

As I am not taking part in this year's painting competition, I can already present you my interpretation of the McLaren Jota car.
The car is being prepared for race by a cute lady.

I hope you enjoy as much as I enjoyed painting it.

Dany
Very nice job , I’ll wait for the availability of a good set of decals or a good RTR livery.

Where did you get the girl figure ? Looks like those made by Lemans Miniatures or Sideways.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I have both, Carrera (body lightened to within An inch of its' life) with a Prospeed chassis and 1mm offset pod, Baby King motor, longer gearing, lightweight wheels etc, which is a great performer alltogether - and boxstock Sideways 720S GT3.

Referring to scale dimensions, the Sideways one is actually identical to the Carrera, even my home made vacform interior tray fits the Sideways without mods, so no scale hotrodding here (as they did with the M6). So using decals made for a Carrera should work out just fine with minimal adjustment here and there.

Performance wise: I tested both back-to-back at Slotracefriends' Ninco track, and within 2 laps the totally stock (bar Slot It 1172 G25 rear tires - same for both) Sideways did exactly the same lap times as they heavily modded Carrera/Prospeed, or even slightly better, with far easier handling. That's with a barely run in motor, standard gearing, original front tires and wheels...

Alltogether it'll be some serious competition for the Sideways Lambo Huracan GT3, if not the new Sideways flagship...
I find the info very interesting, as I have found that the M6 and the Ford Gt are still a bit behind the Lambo in terms of performance (at least in my personal tests), so way to go for Sideways!

Cheers

Reactions: frp1700

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Ha! I messaged Fola at Slotfabrik and the message went into the ether... and then he messaged me back that he had, indeed, converted the decal set I like the look of to 1:32. Nice.

Shame I now notice that not all the decals are present and correct in his set. Meh.😕

Which brings me to my next question; is the green of that 1:1 Jota livery a metallic?? I can't quite tell from the internet. It kinda looks like a Castrol green might pass for it. Maybe.

Castrol Green Paint 30ml | ZP-1581 | Zero Paints

Or this?

Park Green - Similar to TS35 60ml | ZP-1285 | Zero Paints

Hmmm? Thoughts? Opinions?
Mmm didn’t find any picture that could be used as a 1:1 reference as most of the pictures from the web are 3d renders.

Anyway I would go for a Castrol green but with a metallic finish.
If you zoom into the next picture you’ll see that it’s seems a bit metallic and I definitely like more this way…
Tire Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire
Cheers

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The little bits are still in their bags, will need to carefully inventory them when the tail section arrives and I can figure out all I’m supposed to have. Just two noses and no tail among the big parts.
Ok, I was worrying about Sideways getting worse with the packing of the kits!😅 , it’s common they do some mistakes, like sending only one headlamp or two left mirrors but usually nothing too complicated , although having two noses and no rear parts is an odd thing even for them 😅, let’s hope it gets fixed soon.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
is that a wrapper job?
Dont think so, it’s the orange skin effect because of the heavy layers of paint without waiting to dry the right time, but the good news is that every car gets better as you move forward, I look back at my first paintjobs that once made me proud and “shake my head in disbelief”😉🤷🏻
Keep the paintjobs coming Rudio, don’t give up😀👍🏼

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
no, airbrush white primer, orange metallic, gloss varnish, decals, again gloss varnish, masking the orange, then airbrush blue, satin varnish on blue, masking the blue, airbrush black, satin varnish on black : indeed very much layers but always waited 24 hour between layers.
Metallic colors are always a bit tricky and when you use cans the challenge increases. Since you are already using airbrush, I’d recommend next time use the airbrush, that would be one or two light coats of silver or chrome paint after the primer(silver or chrome could be can paint), and once it’s fully dry and you have inspected not orange skin appeared , then use Tamiya clear orange, always in light coats, the advantage of Tamiya clear orange is that you can control the intensity of the color coat by coat and they dry quite fast(15 minutes aprox between them), you will need 10 coats approximately of Tamiya for an intense color, remmember move your hand from nose to rear end of the car, smooth moves(don’t leave the button pressed over one point of the model or it will be heavy with paint and thus orange skin appears) if you have an airbrush with double action to control the amount of paint throwed would be good. I’ d recommend get a Paasche or Iwata, they are not cheap but if taken care and used properly last for life. Compared to my first jobs yours are great mate and I’m still learning, so way to go!👍🏼🙂

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed this appears as a Sideways release.... View attachment 296500
You shouldn't lose sight of that when it's whizzing around your track :D
I do actually prefer fluorescent liveries for racing , my eyes are not that good so having a “visible” car increases the chances of winning😃

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Many companies are offering fantasy liveries, especially Gulf ones. As Simon already said Castrol is the new classic livery. It was a time when the first livery was a dull test one.

It is of course very disappointing not to get a real livery for the first livery. It is not as though they have explored all the feasible liveries and had to propose a fantasy one.
I just saw that Nsr are releasing first models of the McLaren in plain colors(yellow, silver, red etc), suppose must be waiting a good range of decals to custom them …

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
After thinking a lot between buying the Sideways or the Nsr , decided to get the Sideways Castrol livery 😅, now wait till it arrives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts