SlotForum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
15,089 Posts
Blender is better for organic forms like people, and maybe car bodies, but for chassis you'll want to dig into Fusion 360 or similar.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've been trying to install FreeCad. It looks to be more adaptable to geometric shapes (like chassis), but so far, it doesn't want to install on my Mac (even though it purports to be able to run on it). Tinkercad is simple, but perhaps too simple. Most of the chassis designs on Thingiverse are designed in Tinkercad.

·
Greg Gaub
15,089 Posts
Tinkercad is essentially the simplified version of Fusion 360. Fusion 360 is free to students and small businesses (us). There are tons of free tutorials online, both by Autodesk as well as users on YouTube and such. Give it a try.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Finally got FreeCad installed, and it's exactly what I need for chassis design. Very easy to sketch in 2D then extrapolate and extrude to 3D. You can assign dimensions to lines and objects, making it very precise (just what you need for a chassis), and it has a number of pre-designed operations such as holes, chamfers, and the like that makes it easy to design the little niceties a chassis requires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
And Mr. Stumbly, I am sincerely hoping that you design chassis for some of those great racecars out there that don't have them yet!!!

Best,

Steve

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've started using my Ender 3 for slot-work now.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187311&hl=

The Ender 3 is the printer I bought, got a ebay amazon return [which was new as it happened] for £115. They crop up on ebay through an outfit called Technology Outlet sporadically. Anyone looking at the Ender 3 should consider the new "Pro" version which de-bugs some of the drawbacks of the earlier "3". None of these are big issues but you do need to spend your early prints making upgrades, all shown on TeachingTech youtube video's.

I'm using FreeCad on PC and as I have little CAD experience, it's been a steep learning curve but my Van project has been a simple starter project. It generally works well enough. The CAD will generate the important .STL files after switching to Mesh Design mode. For preparing to print you then need .gcode files. I'm using Ultimaker Cura 3.6.0 which is a free download too. This version is working much better than earlier Cura, especially the version free supplied with the Ender 3. There is now a driver/profile for the Ender 3 included in this software version making the set-up much easier.

There is an outstanding Facebook support group run by Luke Hatfield for these printers, there are a lot of user-generated printer profiles and such plus a lot of help when people have the inevitable issues. In terms of keeping these running, if you can look after slot cars you can certainly maintain/de-bug these printers. It looks like 3D printing will be a revolution for hobbyists so it's worth doing some research now that the printers are so affordable.

Here's a link to one of the teachingtech youtubes…

Best to All - Bob.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
FYI:
Just for giggles I went out to Thingaverse, selected a couple of different "universal" 1/32 Artin based chassis designed by a mate on HRW to download, then joined Makerbot which then allows them to be 3d printed by someone in the 3d printing community. The material choices were PLA and ABS only...no nylon. I put both versions in ABS in my cart. Total price was $16 including $10 printer setup.

I think I will wait for a nylon print from a mate here.

PS- 3d printing of axle bearings no longer available from Scalextric or Pendles would seem another good application.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Just a quick reminder guys.

This thread is not a general 3D printing discussion thread, it's supposed to be about people who are willing to print 3D items for other people. Let's try to stick to that.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Looking for someone (preferably in the US), who would like to volunteer the services of their UV resin SLA 3d printer.

Will reimburse for materials used, normal mail/overland postage,and a few bucks for set up time.

If such a person can be located, would like to coordinate a test project for SLA printing of UV curable urethane tires, as I have located a supplier of such a printing media that seems to indicate that such a project is possible.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
After having talked to a few 3D printers the tricky part after getting the form scanned is all the work to get item hollowed out (I am assuming a car body here) and ready for print.

Still, at least getting a 3D scan that is of passible quality is already a huge step!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Looking to grab a used Android AR Code equipped smartphone to do some tests. I am going to make a turntable with several available surface levels and use a phone cup holder in a heavy metal insulated cup set at a stationary position for scanning the manually rotated item.

·
Greg Gaub
15,089 Posts
I'm bumping this thread as there has been some recent interest in a variety of models for the slot car hobby and requests for things to be printed, ideally by someone relatively close to the interested parties.

Per the original post, if YOU have a printer of some kind, and are willing to print things for people, please post a note in here with your location (City/State/Province/Country/whatever) and what kind of printer you have and/or the kind of models you have successfully printed, so that if someone were to go looking to have something printed, they could find someone near to them. Feel free to include photos of prints to show off a little, if you like.

Note that this thread is not meant as a discussion about printing technology or models or whatever. This is for people to post their willingness to assist other hobbyists in getting models printed, and for those people to find them. Ideally, the only posts in this thread are those from people open to being contacted about printing services.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a Creality Ender3. I am located in Minneapolis MN and am willing to print items in PLA.
I print chassis, bodies and guide flags typically, but have done scenery (pit buildings, crash fences, Dunlop bridge, pavilion tents) and a few figures as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok I will offer up

I have filament printer Anycubic mega 3 (really only dialed in with PLA) and a Resin printer, Longer Orange 30.

Some of my prints can be seen on the figure printing thread and on my slowly moving track build thread.

Im on the central coast of California where few sloters dwell, Arroyo Grande, CA

21 - 39 of 39 Posts