SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A growing waistline, forgetting to turn the iron off, searching for your specs, frequent loo visits and lecturing grandchildren about 'proper' music are all signs of old age.

However, the most glaring sign of impending crusty grumpiness for me has always been the dismissal of the 'latest' Ferrari as 'ugly'.

I'm acquainted with folk who agree, and we've debated the time it's happened to us. "Ferrari have lost their way with this one," they say.

Has it happened to you... yet? My choice herewith.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yep that car looks great to me.

That was designed back in the day when the full size rules left designers a great deal of freedom to design the shape they wanted and Mauro Forghieri sure did a great job on that one. These days the rules are so much more restrictive, and designers have much better design tools to do the detailed aerodynamics. For better or worse that leads to more complicated design - just take a close look at modern F1! Is it just oldies who think the older cars look better? On the basis of a thoroughly unscientific sample (overhearing what visitors to Goodwood were saying) plenty of youngsters appreciate the older cars too.

Guess that'll prompt more discussion

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Got to agree with you about present day F1 cars which look like over-decorated Christmas trees that have been decorated by a blind fairy with no aesthetic taste at all and please dont go on about aerodynamics because that is the very thing which has led to what are probably the fastest advertising procession anywhere in the world!

For my money, the best looking F1 car was Dan Gurneys Eagle.

There was a time when race cars were things of beauty, look at the Ferrari 330 P4 and the Lolas from the same era not to mention the Ford P68 all with lovely flowing lines.

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
A growing waistline, forgetting to turn the iron off, searching for your specs, frequent loo visits and lecturing grandchildren about 'proper' music are all signs of old age.

However, the most glaring sign of impending crusty grumpiness for me has always been the dismissal of the 'latest' Ferrari as 'ugly'.

I'm acquainted with folk who agree, and we've debated the time it's happened to us. "Ferrari have lost their way with this one," they say.

Has it happened to you... yet? My choice herewith.
All of the above and I'll add the opinion that "social media" (Facebook et al) is a plague on society. My criteria are simple: If it has wings, looks like something that Jacques Cousteau found in the depths or its identity can be masked by an overall coat of gray primer, I'm not interested. The latter spec has some old ramifications - before the British invasion of the 60's, Indy roadsters had become boringly formulaic, distinguishable only by their paint jobs. I pay very little attention to 1:1 racing these days and the only time my modeling endeavors venture beyond these boundaries is when our local group defines a class by time brackets that dictate anything newer than late 60's machinery. - Currently on the bench: MB 154, 165, Lola T70, C type, 330P4, Cunningham C4R, AC Bristol, Ferrari 612P (wingless) - the outlier - Shadow DN4

EM

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EM

Your post above made me laugh because I imagined Monsieur Cousteau on an expedition to the Mariana Trench, and arriving back at the surface of the Pacific, completely baffled, having found this...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was a kid in the 80's and I loved the F40 and the Testarossa. Had a Testarossa matchbox car, loved it. Had an F40 picture on my wall.

·
Electric model car driver
1,419 Posts
I liked the Ferrari used in the original Tom Selleck Magnum PI back then, but I don't like it now. I've seen very little of the new series of Magnum PI and I haven't taken any notice of the Ferrari used in it, but I have noticed the new Higgins and think that's a marvellous improvement. Dirty old man.

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
I think I was old before my time... all Ferraris from about 1968 onward seem rather uninteresting to me... of course that's about when I stopped paying attention to auto racing in general, and most pop music as well.

Don

charter member of the old pharts club

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don

I lose interest in music after Bach - it all sounds like a fire in a petshop to me - and GP racing is a bit of a fog after 1936...

·
Gordon Steadman
6,891 Posts
Don

I lose interest in music after Bach - it all sounds like a fire in a petshop to me - and GP racing is a bit of a fog after 1936...
I have a saying:

Bach is the father, Knopfler the son and Brubeck is the holy ghost. There is plenty out there since Bach but it is him I always return to in the end
smile.png

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I have a saying:

Bach is the father, Knopfler the son and Brubeck is the holy ghost. There is plenty out there since Bach but it is him I always return to in the end:)
You forgot Jeff Beck...God

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hey, don't forget The Beatles! ... or Beethoven!... Vivaldi! ... Queen! (not the current version) ... Puccini! ... Kate Bush!

OK, get the idea; there's all been good music (well there used to be)

1 - 20 of 143 Posts