SlotForum banner
81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Was a time when I was only 'old'. Now, I'm ancient and decrepit, I look back on old age with... well, I dunno, really... malice, probably.

Emerge from scratcher each a.m. hunt for specs, go to lavatory (again), wonder why tweed jacket's in the bath, drink tea, return to lavatory, read 'news,' bathe, find trousers, feed cat, drink more tea, return to lavatory, switch on BBC Radio 3, despair at... Radio 3.

Did the same yesterday, and the day before...

The good life, eh, Mark?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Bah! Humbug!

You're a young'un, from what I can gather, Laurence ;)

If I were you, I'd give Radio 3 a miss and take up whistling - if nothing else, it annoys others . . .

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Abarth

My thanks. Radio Caroline, eh! Had no idea it's still in business. Will give it a try but...

... must confess that, where modern music is concerned, I still haven't got much beyond Shostakovich. Philip Glass, maybe, too.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Abarth

My thanks. Radio Caroline, eh! Had no idea it's still in business. Will give it a try but...

... must confess that, where modern music is concerned, I still haven't got much beyond Shostakovich. Philip Glass, maybe, too.
Not many groups/bands with more than 3 or 4 instruments!

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Until I switched on BBC Radio 3 a few minutes ago, I didn't know that today is a national holiday in Britain. Can't imagine how it might make a difference from any other day.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sadly that is the case, Laurence.

I mourn the loss of early-closing days, Sundays free of commerce, Bank Holidays which would see petrol stations closed and other such ‘inconveniences’ to those without sufficient gumption to be able to plan a couple of days ahead or amuse themselves without the need for retail therapy.

I realise the world now offers a homogenised 24/7 existence but I don’t see why I should be happy about it.

Whoops - should this be in the grumpy thread instead . . ?

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
A most concise, pertinent and correct post, Mark, with which I wholly concur. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Until I switched on BBC Radio 3 a few minutes ago, I didn't know that today is a national holiday in Britain. Can't imagine how it might make a difference from any other day.
When I moved to Germany I hated it that nothing was open on Sunday now I am very glad it is that way! When I am in the US I totally forget what day of the week it is because they all look the same....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I worked in retail for a few years and when there was talk about us shutting on Bank holidays , everyone was complaining , what were they going to do with the shops shut when they were off because they worked in the city in a office, and were always of on bank holidays, hmm

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Bank holidays back then only seem goods as I got a day of work but working 5 1/2 days a week meant having to do all shopping on a Saturday afternoon and squeezed in to less than 4 hours. What to do with the Bank Holiday day? Couldn't do any extra shopping as all the shops were shut and I you went out all the attractions were full so most times ended up doing nothing. Then the option came to work the Bank Holiday and have a day off in leu which meant I could make full use of the day off. Now they are just added to your holiday allowance and don't seem to be special anymore.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Many employers give their staff the ability to opt out of working on a bank holiday. Thats why I'm not working today 😀

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oftentimes, pubs had an extension til one on a Bank Holiday, making the Tuesday morning interesting.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts