SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
After seeing all the great tracks on here and all the fun people have building them I've decided to make my own too. The final inspiration came from BEEJAY's excellent and informative post on his Midford Combe Circuit. I was putting it off until I had space for a permanent set-up but I don't know when that will be so I'm going to have a bash at building a modular track from two or three 4ft x 4ft sections that can be bolted/clamped together.

Here's a sketch of the basic layout on an 8ft x 4ft sheet:

I want to build a track for my pre-war cars and include features from real tracks. Pre-war tracks means lots of banked turns so with this first 4ft x 4ft section I hope to include the Karussell from the Nurburgring….

here's Rosemeyer on the carousel on his way to victory in the Eifelrennen of 1937 in his 'C' Type….

It's a great feature and with it being banked and tight, should be ideal for my slot car track to make the most of the room I have (or don't have in my case).

My version has a radius of approx. 250mm when banked and banks approx 30°. The real carousel has a narrow concrete banked part with a less banked tarmac outer ring. This is possible to do in MDF if made in two sections but I went for the easy option and made it in one piece and will probably use paint effects to distinguish the two areas.

The shape I cut to achieve the banking was drawn out in cad, however the theory is quite simple, it's just a case of working out the angle between entry and exit 'roads' and pulling the lanes together to bank the sheet. Some great info on banking and track building in general can be found here http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/trackbuild/banking.htm. The banking is made from 9mm MDF and has undercuts underneath as shown in the picture to help the banking form and relieve some of the tension. You'll notice that the turn is raised slightly up from the surface, this is to change the angle of the 'Cone' from vertical to slightly forward leaning to help smooth the flow from straights to banking and prevent 'Launching' on such a tight banked radius. This is explained a lot better in the link above.

The other turn I wanted to include in this section is this….

The North turn at AVUS or "wall of death," banked at 43,6 degrees
, built for the Avusrennen in 1937. Here's Rosemeyer going round it in a streamlined 'C' type…

My version has a 2ft radius when banked so it fits onto a standard 4ft wide sheet and banks approx 40°. Here are the two turns clamped to the base….

Although I don't fancy replicating all that brickwork so will probable paint it as the concrete banking of Montlhery….

and here's a picture of the construction it's sitting on…..

It's 12mm MDF with timber frame work (44x20) its very rigid and lightweight as I'll have to move it around until I have a permanent home for it.

and here's how far I've got with this first 4ft x 4ft section…..

the banking is now supported, fixed down, and, very rigid so should give a nice smooth drive!!

I'm currently waiting for a couple of 3.2mm (1/8") router bits before I do any more on this section.

Meanwhile I've made a start on the second half again 4ft x 4ft, this half has an uphill hairpin, banked turn and a bridge. Where the bridge section was cut out of the sheet the missing piece was replaced and any gaps filled smooth, here's a pic without the bridge in place….

and here's a pic with the bridge on its temporary supports…

That's it for now. Hopefully will start routing at the weekend…

·
Gary Skipp
6,687 Posts
Good greif, what an incredible task! Great visionary work there Marlon, the turns look like they're coming along nicely. Must be a blast to drive! Thanks for posting that link too, some interesting reading there.

Don't deny us your progress...

·
Alan Tadd
4,048 Posts
Great Work Marlon, that is going to be a great track. Please post updates as they happen.

Regards

Alan

PS Bits you wanted will be in the post tomorrow.....Do you want to borrow a spare router bit as well?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments I'll keep you posted on progress!

Alan, I should be OK for bits I got a couple of good quality ones from here. I've tried them out on a practice piece and they seem to handle a 1/4" deep slot in one go very well. Thanks again for the loan of the strip, will help me out no end.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Marlon
It has to be said, the standard of workmanship in your track build is very impressive (like your models).
Looking forward to seeing the final masterpiece!
Kind regards Bill

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Having admired many of your car builds, I'm sure your track will be equally incredible and inspiring. As Gary said, it looks an incredible project, but now you've got us hooked you have to post regular updates

cheers,

Rob

·
Ian
99 Posts
Marlon,
fantastic work, love the design and craftsmanship always like to follow these projects since I had so much fun with my own. Nothing can beat the thrill of doing it yourself, in time I have plans for another much bigger than the ones I have now.

I do have a question though, on the Classic Scalex Banked Curves lots of cars couldn't make it round without grounding I realise you have probably pre-empted this but how or are you going to limit the style of cars that use the circuit to those of the era .
We all love photos and these are a shot in the arm well done.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Thanks for all the great comments, pressure is on to do a good job on this now!!

Ian, ground clearance was a concern as I do have quite a few 60's and 70's sports cars that sit quite low. The old scalextric banked curves only had a R2 radius or there abouts and although mine is banked at a similar angle it has a much larger radius allowing for cars with less ground clearance to pass through with out grounding. Here's a pic of, oddly enough, one of my lowest cars a Proto Alfa...

I've taken the guide out to show the clearance. This car sits as low as a Fly 917K etc so hopefully I'll be able to run all my cars on it. But this its what its really for.....

hope to run them for real soon....

·
Registered
111 Posts
MAF what an excellent track!

as someone who is considering the "quart in a pint pot" dilemma that is an excellent design.

i know many of the people in here are not banked curve fans but i can see how it allows fast corners in a compact space. it is very easy to forget about the space needed for borders and banking can gain that extra space in a tight design. it also has contempary overtones eg the daytona F1 and obviously the historical ones of which you are so enthusiastic.

I think you may also need a mosquito net as a catchfence when the racing gets heated!

i am interested in the portable aspect, and noticed you have the cut track mounted on an mdf base- how heavy would you estimate each 4 x 4 section is? i would also be interested to know how you are going to align and support the baseboards

Definatley gotta watch your progress on this !

you see, i aquired a router the other day and..................

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.