SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Sick and tired
of seeing the other guys at the club going past me
, even I must now go for the silicon tires. But which brand shall I choose?

Slot.it, GTS or a third party

I race
with Le Mans cars from 1970 (all FLY), 2000, 2001 (both years with different brands) and F-1 cars (SCX, Sport, Ninco, Carrera)

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I'd forgot something!

At the club we race on a Scalextric Sport track and at home I race at a Scalextric Classic track. But it is for the club track that I seek tires to make me a winner - if that's all it takes????

·
Registered
752 Posts
Got to agree with Graham really....

I was doing some development setup work last night at the club (all sport track) with my non magnet slot.it porsche 956.

First session of laps were done on Slot.it P2 compound tyres at a best of 11.1 seconds. Then I swapped to a set of Ortmann's tyres.... Best laptime now = 9.8 seconds

-Rob

·
Registered
67 Posts
what about classic track then? which is best for that. Im still very new to this. I'll need links to where to get this stuff

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wonder how many people have actually tested more than, say, 4 different makes of rubber on the very same car? Obviously some, but perhaps not very many? Our rules are limited to box-standard, other than whether magnetized or not and, as far as I know, everyone sticks to the original rubber.
Beginning to wonder though . . .

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
ppr are good but use of other tyres on the track affects the performance .they like a clean track and then perform very well ,ortmans however just give the same grip what ever the track conditions , Both are very good , ,for me ortmans have the edge but wear quickly pprs just dont wear and run very true as standard

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's a pretty firm endorsement for Ormann!
I wonder if an enterprising car manufacture might consider supplying their cars with a similar compound as standard?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Where do you buy these "Ortmanns" tyres ?
Anyone got the URL ???

Fancy getting some for my GT40 then I can do a
Slot.it
Prof Motor
PPR
Ortmanns

Back-to-back test as I have silicons by all those makes.

Chris

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Just trying to understand : then how come AFAIK nobody uses Ortmanns in Italy or Spain ?
OK it's Ninco track mostly, but quite a few Polistil too

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Ninco is a bit abrasive for Ortman they are best on smooth surfaces they dont work well on sandtex either,they are ok on polistil as it is smooth

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
At the risk of repeating the trend here, I use lightly trued but not glued (no need)Ortmanns on my MK1 Fly GT40 on both Sport and Classic.

The set to get is the Ortmanns for Ninco F1, they are a perfect fit.

To give you some idea of how good they are on this car, I run non mag with 6 grams of weight behind the guide, Pink Kar slim racing fronts and I have beaten every Fly Racing version car there is, including the Lola.
At the local club (100% non magnet) we run 6 minute heats on each lane and I have averaged 35/36 laps per lane as opposed to the normal 30/32 for Fly Classic cars and 33/34 for Fly racing.

Before you get too excited, if you run a Fly GT40 MKII you can forget any tyre helping this car to race competitively, it just does not. I am convinced it is down to the width of the rear tyres alone.

and YES! I did say in the GT40 comparison review that the Fly GT40 MK1 was destined for the shelf
- Shame I didn't try the Ortmanns before finishing the review.

Xlot - I believe it is down to the fact that Ortmanns are not readily available anywhere in large numbers and also Spain/ Italy have their own favorites, maybe it is a secret waiting to be unveiled? Would certainly help the non tyre additive guys prove their argument.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven't tried the Ortmanns yet. I do use Indy Grips on all my cars as they out perform everything else I've tried. They wear well, and give good grip on Scaley track and on Carerra track as well. They are also much tougher than a poured tire and can be easily handled without damage. I get them at the Prof. Motor shop. Try a few types to see what works best for you. There wouldn't be so many kinds if people didn't use them all.
Cheers!

·
Registered
514 Posts
The only silicone tyres I've tested are PPR, and although they give good grip at first the performance is quickly reduced since our club track isn't clean enough.

It seems like Ortmanns are the way to go, but I changed my mind after reading about the residue they leave in this topic...
Does the use of Ortmann tyres decrease the performance of other tyres on the track?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts