SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
so even though you do not need the LC beacon for lane two to change lanes, you still need it on the lane to control the exit flipper polarity?
This means that only one Lane Brain can be used even in a situation like this where you only have one physical lane change...

So on an best line track, you will need one lane brain per entry and exit flipper. - That part that in confusing however is the placement of the AC beacons. Right now you are suggesting they are places after the LC beacon - After the flipper. Whereas before on other threads, where you have an XLC track (ninco) the AC beacon goes before the flipper...

Can you please explain how this works? are you suggesting two different installation methods, one for plastic and one for routed tracks then?

- I was under the impression that I could use one Lane brain to drive two flippers, one single LC at point A and one single LC at point B one meter down the track for instance.

Like this?

So in this image, LANE BRAIN #1 drives entry flippers where the circled number 1 with the black background are. - I this correct?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yet another scenario. This case each pair of entry flippers that make up a best racing line path are operated by one lane brain

Again, is this correct? (beacon placements) for PEARL and AC

#0 represents exit flippers.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Profoxcg @ 11 Jul 2011, 06:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so even though you do not need the LC beacon for lane two to change lanes, you still need it on the lane to control the exit flipper polarity?
This means that only one Lane Brain can be used even in a situation like this where you only have one physical lane change...

Correct.

QUOTE So on an best line track, you will need one lane brain per entry and exit flipper. - That part that in confusing however is the placement of the AC beacons. Right now you are suggesting they are places after the LC beacon - After the flipper. Whereas before on other threads, where you have an XLC track (ninco) the AC beacon goes before the flipper...

If you want to control the entry flipper only, with no AC, and no exit flipper functionality then yers one LB can do two flippers, ie 2 seperate LCs.

QUOTE Can you please explain how this works? are you suggesting two different installation methods, one for plastic and one for routed tracks then?

Timber, plastic no difference.

QUOTE - I was under the impression that I could use one Lane brain to drive two flippers, one single LC at point A and one single LC at point B one meter down the track for instance.

You can.

QUOTE Like this?

So in this image, LANE BRAIN #1 drives entry flippers where the circled number 1 with the black background are. - I this correct?

You essentially have 6 LEDs where are 4 are provided so this cant work.

There are 2 LED drivers in the Lane Brain.
LC driver from Lane 1 is also same code as AC Lane 2.
Like wise LC from Lane 2 is also same code as AC Lane 1.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (Profoxcg @ 11 Jul 2011, 06:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yet another scenario. This case each pair of entry flippers that make up a best racing line path are operated by one lane brain

Again, is this correct? (beacon placements) for PEARL and AC

#0 represents exit flippers.

No.
If you want the functions one LB per LC. This was announced some time back.

If you want to control 2 flippers only then as stated one LB can opoerate 2 flippers.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Rick thank you for helping me understand.

So on the later, I will need a total of 4 LB - regardless IF I do not care about LIVE FLIPPERS but do want AC and Pearl.

QUOTE If you want the functions one LB per LC. This was announced some time back.

I wonder if you remember which thread this information is on?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
No you do not need 4 LBs. I think you need to stick to my recommendations and diagrams. Forget try to reinvent the wheel

For AC with entry and exit flippers you need two LBs.

AC takes the remaining 2 spare beacons, so after AC you need 2 LBs.

I recommend you forget AC, and concentrate on flipper functionality for entry and exit flippers.
AC takes the realism out of the game. I only included AC as some people wanted it.

Whats more important is exit flipper functionality, thats if you have a custom made track with exit flippers.
exit flippers primarily give you:
a)Continuous rail power.
b)Ability to run bi-directional. Bi-directional is possible with one LB if you just want flipper activation. If you want more you will need an LB on each approach (ie either direction).

OR

Have a exit scenario like a plastic LC, where lanes simply merge, which will free up the AC beacons for use.

Rick

Edited. Twice.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This is what I am planning for a small routed track. (very small)

I want to approach the LC hit the LC button and activate the first flipper : IF I keep the button pressed, then the second flipper activated and I make the turn "in best line manner"
If I do know keep pretty through the apex, then it just a single lane change (as opposed to a double lane change).

I presume I would place the LCB (lane changer beacons) before the corresponding flipper like this : This as you mentioned will allow me to use ONE lane brain to actualte two (entry flippers) our of the 4 (2 entry and two exit flippers).

With this scenario, It would be nice to have the entry flippers be live, especially flipper x.B

I agree, AC is not important, but PEARL to me is. So what other beacons do i need to place and where to make PEARL work on this scenario.
I want to make sure I am ordering the right amount of Lane brains to at least complete a small test sector.

Bi-directional is not important. If I get bored of running one way, Ill just get under the table and "quick" connect accordingly to run the other way. Yes not an on the fly thing, but usually tracks are run one direction.

PS: at the end it would be nice to be able to say: Ok this is not a PEARL race, so there is no AC; Or this is a race with manual best line selection but with AC protection. I don't mind two different ways to race.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Profox,

For your request with PEARL, entry flipper and exit flipper both activated and livened you need 1 LB per. In your case you have 2, one after the other, do its 2 seperate set ups, so you need 2 LBs.

Use the same set up as in post #2

PEARL is a function of controller, anyone can use it or not. However:
a)It is not to be used with AC yet.
b)When it is finally prograsmmed all LBS must have AC or not have AC.

If you want AC you must have 2 AC and 2 LED beacons before each LC. In which case you need 2 LBs per LC, as I said not worth the hassle and expense.

My recommendation is forget AC altogether.

Rick

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ok, to keep it clear for myself i'll add up some conclusions which go for my track:
- i do not need nor will use AC
- my plastic track has no exit flippers
- i like the pearl goodie.

So what do i have to arrange for my track?
- install LC leds only.
- when there's a single LC, the only hole i'll have to drill is for the lane which has the option of lane changing
- when there's a XLC, there's two holes to drill, one for every lane.

Right?

Merc

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Merc,
110% correct

Rick

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 10 Jul 2011, 21:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rick,
So in this picture there is no AC?
Also this will not work for for Bi-directional? Can Bi-directional be made functional by just adding more LED's?

If all LED's (2 LC and 2AC, in respective lanes) are all moved before the entry flipper, and the exit flipper had no solenoid (just pivots freely) and the track wasn't bi-direction.
1) Could AC be turned on?
2) Could the exit flipper be "livened"

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi awdpwr,
No, AC is not possible with this particular application of Lane Brain.
Yes it is possible to duplicate the same AC or LC LEDS but from the opposite lane (in series) from the other direction because of the fact the track beacons are offset and not in the centre of the slot. The only downside is AC is not possible since we are stealing the AC beacons and if its an XLC you will need 2 LBs, ( one for the other pair of flippers). For what your wanting, full control over entry and exit flippers, livened flippers and bi-directional you are getting the maximum use out of just a single LB, how it was designed (that is for single lane changer and bi-directional). Racing most tracks backwards is a totally new track, twice the bang for your buck.

In answer to your other questions:
a ) Could AC be turned on? Yes AC can be utilised if both AC and LC LEDs are set up before the entry flipper.
b ) Yes a fixed exit (similar to SSD fixed exit flipper on their CLCs) could be livened. I would niot recommend livening a floating and uncontrolled exit flipper.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a text error in the pic in post #12. It should read: " When passing from Lane 1 to Lane 2, hold LC button down until you pass Lane 1 AC LED"
But I guess that is obvious....

Anyway Ive drawn up a new diagram for a single Lane Brain to operate a single lane changer with all the goodies except anti-collision.

2 LBs would be required if it was a XLC.

Rick

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rick,
Thank you for the new Diagram, this makes it very clear to me. As you have mentioned many times before, I'm beginning to agree AC may not be worth the extra work or money, my main reason for wanting it is I do a lot of racing takes with my 3yr old, that and the fact that many of my friends act like 3yr olds
Couple more questions your last reply brings up:

1. If there is no AC set up any where on the track, and I want to run say 5 ghost cars, unless I tell them never two switch lanes, they would probably keep crashing into one another?

2. How do you "liven" a fixed exit flipper?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi awdpwr.
1.Correct, but at least the lane changing ability will be switchable.
2.Liven an exit flipper as you would any flipper.

Rick

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok Thanks:

So in summary for a single lane change controlled by a single LB, You can have:

AC turned on
PEARL functionality (this is a future option to use PEARL with AC, and all LB's will need to be the same with AC on or Off)
Entry flipper controlled by LB
Entry Flipper Livened
Exit Flipper Fixed (not controlled by LB)
Exit Flipper Livened
Can NOT be raced in both directions

OR

No AC functionality
PEARL will function
Entry and Exit Flipper controlled by LB
Entry and Exit Flipper Livened by LB
Can be raced in both directions (Will need to purchase 2 additional LED's, as 6 are required and LB's come with 4)
Gost cars could collide if they are set to switch lanes

Correct?

This is a trade that each person will need to make based on how they want use their track, and my guess is it would not be recommended to mix these two set-ups on a single track.

Joe

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (awdpwr @ 8 Nov 2011, 00:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok Thanks:

So in summary for a single lane change controlled by a single LB, You can have:

AC turned on
PEARL functionality (this is a future option to use PEARL with AC, and all LB's will need to be the same with AC on or Off)
Entry flipper controlled by LB
Entry Flipper Livened
Exit Flipper Fixed (not controlled by LB)
Exit Flipper Livened
Can NOT be raced in both directions

Almost! Except exit flipper cannot be livened on exit flipper in this application.

QUOTE OR

No AC functionality
PEARL will function
Entry and Exit Flipper controlled by LB
Entry and Exit Flipper Livened by LB
Can be raced in both directions (Will need to purchase 2 additional LED's, as 6 are required and LB's come with 4)
Gost cars could collide if they are set to switch lanes

Correct?

This is a trade that each person will need to make based on how they want use their track, and my guess is it would not be recommended to mix these two set-ups on a single track.

Joe

Correct and top marks.

This second application is what Ill be running when I eventually build my routed track and is the basis of the spec. In this second scenario you are using the LB to its full capacity.

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts