SlotForum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 9 Jul 2012, 14:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Routing the track as Julian has done in the 1/32nd style is something that appeals as well. Definitely as a routing practise track.

I've routed very little, it's hard work and takes a lot of practice to get a good result, that's just for one slot 1/8" wide, never mind 3 that have to be a consistent depth and spacing 1/16" wide.

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Although I agree 110% with Deane's views, I think Gareth is looking at this in an interesting way. Ultimately, I get the impression he is project managing a UK-based attempt at building an HO routed track. I don't think he's going down the "oh, that can't be too difficult" road.

It is the case that a track built by Brad Bowman and shipped over is going to be better and cheaper than this project - especially factoring in the cost of the learning process and some small, simple tracks to do first. But I don't think cost is Gareth's point in doing it.

I did some digging around for foamex / foamulex with local sign makers. They couldn't source any black or grey board deeper than 5mm. And the price they gave for that was steep

Gareth also needs to look at what he uses for rails. My feeling is that to build a routed track that behaves just like Tomy track is too ambitious - and maybe impossible - but using the most straight-forward option (whatever that is - apart from copper tape) might make the project achievable. It'll give a unique track and require set-up changes, but I like that idea.

I would like to do some serious routing - just to say I've done it - but I am looking at relatively small 3-lane copper & mdf 1/43 tracks. If it turns out that I'm any good at it, Gareth has me on board. I did do a 2 x 4 single lane 1/32 rally stage about 12 years ago, but I don't think that counts

· Registered
3,636 Posts
You could use magna-braid instead of copper tape if you want a magnetic track, but I thought Wizzard could supply rail material similar to the stuff Tomy use. Certainly gluing braid on top of the track would be easier than routing 3 slots.

But why try and build something that emulates Tomy track, why not build something that is better than Tomy track, this would mean the cars need a different set up to when they are used on Tomy track, but different setups for different tracks is considered normal in 1:32 racing, I think in the Slot It challenge they raced on some Ninco tracks and some wooden tracks, which require very different setups if you want to do well.

At the weekend, in one rally, I raced on wood track with various finishes, Scalextric Sport, Scalextric Classic, SCX, Ninco and Ninco raid track.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter what the track is like so long as the cars will run on it and the power is consistent, in fact I think a bit of track surface and magnetic effect variation would be good.

lights blue touch paper and retires

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.