SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with finding a place to buy a slot car box. Seems to be harder than I thought. Thanks in advance.

Richard

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do you mean like a toolbox to carry all your cars about in?
If so the best place to get them In the UK is someware like Homebase or B&Q. I suppose in the USA the best place to get them would be a HArdware store or something like that.

If you are lookng for spare Scalextric car display boxes that you would buy the cars in the best place is www.scalextric.co.uk or www.scalextric.com .

I hope i have been a help.

Merry Christmas!

Doug

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (tibius181 @ 24 Dec 2004, 11:22)Do you mean like a toolbox to carry all your cars about in?
If so the best place to get them In the UK is someware like Homebase or B&Q. I suppose in the USA the best place to get them would be a HArdware store or something like that.

If you are lookng for spare Scalextric car display boxes that you would buy the cars in the best place is www.scalextric.co.uk or www.scalextric.com .

I hope i have been a help.

Merry Christmas!

Doug

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tibius, that helps alot. I was looking for a wooden slot box to carry all my cars and tools in. They're hard to find without spending a couple hundred dollars for one. Have a Merry Chrismas. Thanks again.

Richard

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I agree with tibius a plastic toolbox (non magnetic) can be used for slotcars here in the UK from Halford's or mostly car accessories stores. I have seen custom made wooden slotcar boxes in threads mentioned in the Old Weird Herald slotcar forum for as you say a lot of money.

Regards Allan

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good to know I have been a help, you have a Merry Christmas too.

Doug

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use a metal foldout toolbox from the Hardware. It fits twelve cars on the shelves and has space in the bottom for tools controllers etc. I have also stuch magnets to the lid inside. I have found this handy for storing small things like the Slotit Allen key.

In Australia you can get a decent one for around forty dollars so I imagine it would cost a similar amount in other countries. I found the steel boxes offer more options for size and are cheaper than plastic boxes.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I didn't opt to get one of the traditional wooden slot car boxes you see in the US all the time. What I'll probably end up with is an aluminum brief case style like used by some of the folks I race with locally. These cases have foam inners that are cut to allow a slot car to fit in tightly.

Currently I am using an old brief case, ancient wooden one, and an old metal tool box with a pitched roof. The brief case is compartmentized but I don't like it so it's history. Very easy to carry and holds six cars, a controller and any number of components. The metal tool box is some ancient thing that has sat around my house for about as long as the previously mentioned brief case, about 30 years
I put a 6v gel cell battery in it for testing and left the bottom open for cars and junk. The top has a piece of plexiglass set into it with notches for slot car guide flags. I use velcro to attach the cars.

Neither of these carrriers is pretty but both work just fine. I really stink when it comes to making things pretty so I don't bother. Otherwise both of these carriers would look good. Both work great though. I enjoy making weird stuff work for purposes other than they were designed so none of my friends was surprised in the least seeing a million dollars worth of slot cars in a two dollar junk box

I mention these things so you realise that you aren't tied to tradition when it comes to car carriers. You can use whatever works for you, tackle boxes, suit cases, tool boxes, brief cases, fabric tool bags, plastic storage containers etc. All that is important is that it works for YOU.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I recently made my own case using some sort of foam inside:

I get 10 cars, some oil/tools and my controller in it.
All things considered I think it only cost me somewhere around £20...

André

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I think I might be obsessed with losing magnetizing power of my motors (especially vintage 60's car- mostly Thingies off course!) but is'nt it bad to keep slot cars in a metallic box or in a metallic cupboard?
Don't magnets loose strenght close to metal?
Or it's just a silly preocupation I have?
Please respond and go easy on me it's Christmas after all

Best regards
Edo
PS: Yes I do have a life, and a good one too.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The finest wooden boxes (and controllers) comes from Tjekkoslovakia.
I wonder why, but they are really into slotracing in that formely eastern country.
I don't know where to order them, but the guy who makes 'em, were participant to the ISRA2004 race in Sweden.
The price, im only guessing, is 120-150 US$
My father has made a lot of boxes for the Danish Slotters for half the price, but the finish and the assembly are far from the Tjek's

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just use a pretty nice size craftsman metal toolbox. Holds about 10 1/32 cars(about 6-7 1/24) on the top tray. Also has 3 slide out trays to hold parts controllers, etc. happy new year

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (JcRacer43 @ 27 Dec 2004, 19:11)I just use a pretty nice size craftsman metal toolbox. Holds about 10 1/32 cars(about 6-7 1/24) on the top tray. Also has 3 slide out trays to hold parts controllers, etc. happy new year

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. Those are very good ideas. Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and hopefully a Happy New Year.

Rich

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
I use a tackle box, purchased at K-Mart.

I modified the second drawer down by removing the partitions and inserting a pices of foam board with slots cut in it to accommodate 4 cars. Works great, has lots of space and cost about $35.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It's cheaper to make one, and it can be to your exact specifications.

It's not too difficult even if you aren't into carpentry at all. I think a couple of people on here have done it.

Andy

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (tjet3 @ 23 Dec 2004, 19:58)Can anyone help me with finding a place to buy a slot car box. Seems to be harder than I thought. Thanks in advance.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi TJet3,

Not sure on your price range but try (www.slotcarciity.com) **** A can get you some vvery nice 1/24 boxes that can be used for 1/32 and most likely H.O. as well hope this helps ouy out. If I come across anymore info on slot boxes I will post them ot you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (GI JOE @ 5 Jan 2005, 00:58)QUOTE (tjet3 @ 23 Dec 2004, 19:58)Can anyone help me with finding a place to buy a slot car box. Seems to be harder than I thought. Thanks in advance.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi TJet3,

Not sure on your price range but try (www.slotcarciity.com) **** A can get you some vvery nice 1/24 boxes that can be used for 1/32 and most likely H.O. as well hope this helps ouy out. If I come across anymore info on slot boxes I will post them ot you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks GI Joe, I really appreciate it. Have a good one.

Richard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts