SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slotbear has closed his site (in German, in English).
Most sad and unfortunate for us that like to tinker.

Any idea why he decided to close it?

/Erik

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Sad news indeed, got some discussion over on SCI when it disappeared about 3 months ago.

Rich

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But no words about it over here. Which is strange.

But there was a few remarks over there that I feel could be addressed:

QUOTE I don't know what caused this: http://eng.slotbaer.de/ but it's an unfortunate day for slot car users. Particularly digital slot car users. In very particular: Carrera digital slot car users.
The fellow responsible for most of what we know about how Carrera digital works has removed all of the slot content from his website. We all owe Stephan a huge thank you, again, and whatever his reasons are for leaving, the slot car world will be a much poorer place as a result of his absence.So true, he was a wealth of information.

QUOTE That is a shame, I wonder what happened? I hope all is OK he was a valuable contributor to our hobby and he will definately be missed!!
Chris+1 to both. Sad to see gone. Anxious to know he's all right.

QUOTE He had not been very active on freeslotter for the last couple of months. He posted in January that he didn't have much time for slot cars at present. He hadn't made any significant changes or additions to his website for a while either. For a guy as prolific as he had been, that was quite a change. The number of ideas and projects he had, and the time and effort spent deciphering digital systems was really pretty amazing.Indeed he had a heap of things going on. Which by itself can get to be a burden. Especially if people lean on you to get what they can't make themselves.
Even thou Stephan was fairly good at keeping to intricate questions at bay.
He has followed a very clear line; he present his findings and let one and all make their own translation, interpolation, desiccation, innovation etc from it.

QUOTE Even if he got bored, why remove everything he's worked on?
I know some people do that, but I've never understood why, and I certainly would never do such a thing if I found a new way to spend my free time.
I tend to believe that something else happened to upset him or cause him to remove all his useful findings.Sometimes even us westerners need to commit "seppuku". Ie "remove everything" because what has been done (to you) can't be addressed.
And this happens more often than not; those going forward are railed by those envies of that trait.

Anyhow.

I hope he's fine and well.
And await his return eagerly.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I follow you there b.ying~.
If it was, then I'd expect a note about "not supporting the site any longer", with maybe a "due to NNN", if anything at all.
Not taking it all down.

I feel sort of ambivalent now.
I recently saved down most of the site, in an attempt to offer my help in translating the still only German parts into English.
I could keep it all to myself, or I could set up a "back from the grave" site. But that would be, as it seem, contrary to Stephan's wishes.

What to do, I ponder.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,603 Posts
QUOTE (Erik M @ 6 Jun 2012, 08:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure I follow you there b.ying~.
If it was, then I'd expect a note about "not supporting the site any longer", with maybe a "due to NNN", if anything at all.
Not taking it all down.

Even in the 21st century, some people do not want their personal life to become public property. Some people would also rather remain silent than fabricate a cover story.

But whatever the reason, we still owe him a debt of gratitude for the information he supplied. And remember- the Internet never forgets.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed there is. But a note that there's no more support isn't.
And fabricating a story, that sound a fair bit far fetched.
If he doesn't want to say why, why would he lie and make something up instead?
It's quite enough not to say anything.

Anyhow, sad to see him gone.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a thought.

Perhaps it's not such sinister reasons.

Maybe Carrera got him in their sights and quite simply hired him.
That would explain why there's no explanation for closing the site. As it would generate quite a few unwanted question about how it looks behind the company curtain (a curtain which maybe isn't as deadly as the Iron one, but far more effective in not letting slip information).

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed someone has.
As I mentioned above, I saved all pages in German to see if I could help him out getting them translated.
But I really don't know what to do with the material now. I've tried to reach him, but so far no response.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts