SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I did this !! Yes, I really am that old and sad........!!

I have built and raced slot boats, as a member of the club I belonged to at that time. 1967 would be about right, I had been racing for a couple of years by then, and recall dismembering a Revell 1/24 car to get the 36D motor to use in a boat.

The Enfield and District Model Engineering Society (EDMES) built a track or whatever you could call it, and one of the members made a mould for fibreglass hulls. 36D's were the motor of choice for most people, and the guide was attached to a spring-loaded arm similar to a trolley bus. They used to go quite fast if my memory is correct, and I remember boats being ballasted to set the trim and handling.

Most members built a boat, but the track wasn't used very much except for exhibitions and shows that the club attended. The Enfield Show was the obvious one, but I recall others including Dagenham and South London somewhere. I don't actually recall the Model Engineer Exhibition (maybe I didn't attend that one) but I do remember that club track being a very similar kidney shape to the one pictured.

EDMES got up to all sorts of other strange things, but those stories can wait for another time........

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Oops !! Maybe I am older and sadder than I thought !

I joined my first racing club (EDMES) in 1965 and my first cars were the Airfix Rapier kit and Airfix Mercedes W125 for GP races. A Revell Mercedes 300SL kit soon followed, then a succession of scratchbuilds as I tried to keep up with the club aces. I recall buying my first MRRC 3-pole for 12/- from Rayken at Winchmore Hill, and saving up for the Cox GT40 that I got from Beatties at Southgate.

I raced at Tottenham Raceway when they opened, and also at the Thirties club in Tottenham (near the Spurs ground and the Lone Star factory). Suffice to say I have been around racing for more years than I care to remember. Not always succesful on the track, but you could say 'been there, done that' !

Photoshop is a great programme, I use it all the time !!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Hi Dick - long time no see !!

The EDMES club did make the slot boats work, I even tried to find some pictures but no luck. There were around 12 - 15 people who built boats, so it was never as popular as slot cars, but I do recall it was a huge novelty. Whenever the track (????) was taken and operated at a show, there was a lot of interest. From a club member point of view, it was a bit of an encumbrance, having to fill the track before use and drain it afterwards, and with only a few people present each clubnight with a boat it was hardly competitive. But, I can say been there - done that, and I suppose its part of a club members rich tapestry.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I just thought about the dates. I left Enfield in late 1967, and the boats were around about a year before that. Maybe Dick saw a development from another origin at the ME show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.