SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for something to use as a trophy for the OzRally Proxy series last year. Then an idea struck me when I was looking at a pile of empty slot car boxes beneath the track table. A presentation box in which to display the winning car.

And so I came up with my first SlotBox Diorama.

It was built in an empty Ninco box complete with brass plaque as all trophies should be. The winning car can now be displayed in a home of its own.

I got a little bit more adventurous with the second one, but still a typical Australian colour scheme.

Then the need to try something with a more international flavour.

Still Ninco boxes and still fairly firmly rally oriented.

Trying to think of something that would suit other types of car.

This one was done in a 1/24 Carrera box. Although they are not a great deal larger than the 1/32 version they do give a little more room to build in.

Bad choice of car to show this one off properly.

Detail shot of the debris.

Which brings us to the one completed today.

Built in a 1/32 Carrera box.

I still need to come up with something to suit a modern track racer.

Cheers
Embs

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Good day Ember you are very clever and great work the one with the dry stone walls each side of the MG reminds me of my mispent youth, well behind the wall does!!!, i tried doing something similar to yours but failed badly after seeing yours will have to try again Keith.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! nice work I hope to be able to do scenes this good one day! I would say for a modern racer a Victory lane like Michael said would be cool.
Here is a pic of myself at the one for Atlanta Motor Speedway back about 1998.

·
Lars Ole
1,626 Posts
Tip top notch, have always wanted to give it a try, very inspiring, thanks.

- Lars

·
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (doncatwalker @ 26 Sep 2012, 03:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I ask where you got (or how you made?) the bracken on the last one? Don
Don the ferns in the last box, as well as the roses behind the garden wall and the daisies that appear here and there are the one expensive part of these boxes (well other than the box itself which usually means the purchase of a new car has occurred somewhere). They are laser cut paper kits by Kamizukuri and 1/35 scale. They are also available in 1/48 scale which might be suitable for the 1/43 slotters.

The ferns start their life in a sheet like this

And with paint and patience (and an occasional choice word) become this

The roses in close up

The garden wall contains a full kit of roses. I still have a few ferns leftover from the last effort. I purchased mine direct from HobbyLink Japan, just because my usual hobby enabler was out of stock. The price was a little bit cheaper to buy direct, but the savings were almost consumed by the postage. I'd dearly love to be able to purchase them in bulk, particularly the ferns. I can see me wanting to use thousands of them if I ever get to landscape the hill climb track.

As an aside, the garden gate is a Verlinden photo etched product. In comparison to the paper plants it was relatively cheap at USD6 plus USD 6.50 shipping because there are two sets on the fret.

I'm currently searching for an inexpensive supply of non-recycled display boxes about the size of the Carrera 1/24 ones in the hope that I might be able to sell a few finished works.

·
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jens.

Wasn't totally happy with it so I took to it with some fine scissors and opened it up a little. Just a bit of a trim here and there so that you can see the blocks of the wall behind.

The foliage on that is a couple of different colours of Hekiflor. rather than the Noch Leaves that I've used on the trees of the track. I'm still not completely happy with it, but it will do for now until I can come up with a better way of doing them.

For some reason I keep coming back to the bottle. Might have to scatter some more bits of junk and assorted rubbish around the track.

Embs

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Ember love your work so evocative and clever the details with the bottles are spot on there are one or two things you can add to the scene over here the Mc Donald's boxes seem to be in every lay by e.t.c. looking forward to the next one Keith.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
I didn't go by choice.
I accidently pressed a button in my browser which deleted all my saved passwords and haven't been able to get on since, only now have I realised that I didn't use the same username to log in as my screen name, so I put in the other name and was able to log in. so it's been a while and things have changed but I'm back. And it's good to be back.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts