SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 2001 Posts

· Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a retired photographer, I enjoy photographing these cars almost as much as racing them. I've posted some of these cars on the "New cars of 2013", but maybe a separate thread is more appropriate. I hope the creative side of the readers comes out!

· Mr. Olufsen
1,197 Posts
Beautiful work!

Christian

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
QUOTE (fotodoug @ 30 May 2013, 13:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a retired photographer, I enjoy photographing these cars almost as much as racing them. I've posted some of these cars on the "New cars of 2013", but maybe a separate thread is more appropriate. I hope the creative side of the readers comes out!
I know you're definitely not the only one around here. There are quite a few with different approaches.

· Premium Member
5,599 Posts

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Tutorials from you all please

Ember, do you make dioramas for some of your shots, or are they all parts of your tracks?

I struggle to take good close ups of HO (1/64 scale) cars - but maybe it is my camera is a bit cheap and the macro setting is not adjustable. So I get part of the car in focus and the rest out of...

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 30 May 2013, 14:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tutorials from you all please

Ember, do you make dioramas for some of your shots, or are they all parts of your tracks?

I struggle to take good close ups of HO (1/64 scale) cars - but maybe it is my camera is a bit cheap and the macro setting is not adjustable. So I get part of the car in focus and the rest out of...

I think you are struggling with something called depth of field.

The closer you get to something the harder it is to get all of it in focus. This is partly down to how close you are and partly to the aperture setting on the camera.

If you can manually override your settings (something you can do on better compact camera not just SLRs) you need to set your aperture as small as you can (biggest number - F16 or F32 as opposed to F2 or F4). This allows the lens to focus on more of the scene in terms of how much depth is in focus. The down side is that the smaller the aperture the less light is let in meaning your exposure time is longer. So you have to use a tripod to hold the camera steady or the picture will blur.

And finally - the camera will auto focus on the nearest object in its focusing spot. If you can manually focus you need to focus on a spot that is about 1/3 of the way into your desired depth of field. In other words - if your camera is capable of fitting in the whole car in focus (but only just) you need to focus on a point that is 1/3 of the distance from the front of the car to the back (in terms of how far it is from the lens). If you can't manually focus but your camera will hold focus with a half-depressed button - you can focus on something the desired distance into the depth of field then swing the camera round on its tripod to shoot the car. Make sure the object you focus on is mid grey and lit the same as the car as this will affect the camera's choice of exposure length.

For ultimate clarity use a remote shutter release or the self-timer option as a finger pressing the shutter can slightly shake the camera and very slightly blur the image. If you have an SLR camera with a mirror up option then use this as well as this reduces camera shake.

· Registered
644 Posts
Hi Woodcote,

I would encourage you to have a look at the "Cars bought by members in 2013" thread.
Doug gives us a nice insight in his process of getting the entire car in focus in post #300 (here)

· Mr. Olufsen
1,197 Posts
More dummies' advice from a dummy
on the tricks that will keep the entire car in focus in this post. As outlined by Doug, there are lots of options for cheap or free focus stacking out there. It takes multiple photos with identical settings but different focus to achieve results as crisp as the ones presented by Doug.

Christian

· Mr. Olufsen
1,197 Posts
Doug,

Your work is so inspiring I just had to see what could be done with my home utensils. A slot car, an EOS M 25mm, ISO400, f8, 1/12s, a Speedlite, a mac, a dinner jacket, an upside-down foam tray from my slot car bag, and a piece of first aid mylar blanket:

It's not pro, but I just had to share... As always

Christian

· Mr. Olufsen
1,197 Posts
QUOTE (fotodoug @ 30 May 2013, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Christian...I think you might have a future in advertising!...that shot sure made me want to buy THAT car!!!

Coming from you even with one mirror missing that's a massive compliment

1 - 20 of 2001 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.