Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably a bit late for this, but how do you get your better half to get you a slot car for Christmas or as a gift for that matter

Most of us don't let on to our wonderful spouses the depth of our collection so how do you hint to her what it is that you're wanting

Almost more difficult, in a world where hobby shops are few and far between, how do you entice your wife to a place that sells slot cars, a shop or an online store

·
Registered
773 Posts
...just go shopping with her - and by accident, you're in a hobby shop because you're looking for some gifts for niece and nephew - and tehn stop in front of a shelve where the real gems are. Look at them with BIG eyes - and tehn proceed because "..actually I've no time to look for more slotcars - even if they are rare..."
Worked in my case as the owner of the hobby shop informed me, the she bought these nice cars...

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I used the simplest method - I ordered them, then when she questioned the hit on our bank account, I explained how I was just making her shopping a little easier and she now had one less gift to worry about!
As the great TM she is, she willingly accepted my devious tactics!

G

·
I have slot cars from my mother-in-law, parents and wife every Christmas. I choose them and they pay for them stops me having present I don't want and everybody happy

RR

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I said what I wanted let her know the price and ordered it - team slot audi quottro. I think I also persauded my Dad (I came out of the slot car closet and showed him my journalistic talents (GS)) to get me something a bit special but I don't want to get too excited as it will only lead to disapointment.

Matt

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I'm lucky cos my better half is good as gold.
She ASKS me for a selection to pick from so I write a short list with Sean's phone number at the bottom. It works really well cos I don't know exactly what I'm getting but I know it'll be something I want, and sometimes she manges to rope in other family members as well!

Rob

PS She's gorgeous too!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Having girls allows the perfect opening.

They ask me for Barbies et al, and I say to them "don't forget daddy wants a slot car!"... mom picks up on this and I usually get one from "the girls"!

I do provide a courtesy list of 3-6 cars from my wish list and do promise to go into a December buying "blackout".

Of course, she doesn't need to know that I sometimes break this blackout with an off list car... there are just so many you know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts