SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yesterday I was driving my Ninco BMW M3 at our club with my son; my car suddenly deslotted and crossed the path of the fast incoming Scalextric Cart of my son : big crash, and you can see the results.

Big hole!

The culprit: it seems an hawk!!!

This is what happened : today we are using not only very good models,
but also our crashes are more and more real.
Ciao

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ninco cars are unbelievable fragile - I own a 2003 Subaru WRC and Clio Showcar - all mountbrackets and bush holders are broken in 2 MONTHS !!! Poor me - I also purchased a Ninco Cart , same all here broken - besides the motor filipped off and meshed the crownwheel - also strange noises are coming from the Motor .

Please do not get me wrong - I was a maniac for Ninco cars - now I will hardly buy again a Ninco

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This BMW survived many and many crashes in her seven months life with only slight damage; imho it is not weak ( I use to reinforce the mounting posts with aluminum tubing and glue the bushes to the chassis ) but this crash was too hard to cope with; moreover the Scalextric Cart ( a lovely model and a great runner
) has a nose hard as steel and sharp as a nail : try one with your finger!
Ciao

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
My descending order of toughness:
  • SCX
  • Ninco
  • Fly
  • Proslot
  • Scalextric
All based on my experience and my mileage - yours may vary.

My SCX rally cars probably get the most of my track time with various Fly types coming a close second. NC-1 Nincos are a firm favourite of mine and it's their lack of speed (not a complaint) that keeps 'em in one piece. Scaley? Scaley? Well, I can't seem to get them delivered to my door in one piece, let alone put a lap on one.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures Sprint
I thought the Leos M3 had a great paint job and the close ups confirmed that.
I am not sure whether to get the M3 with the modified door panel for the 6 inch diameter side-exit exhaust or not

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
oopsy doodle!

my crash and recue was quite good, left the track bounced off the wall and back into my lane after a couple of roll, only the wheels touched the track and I never lost my 1st place neither!

ROb.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
We have used many types of car at exhibitions for the public to race. This is definitely where slot cars get the hardest bashing !

We settled on Ninco cars some time ago, as we found they could take to most abuse and still keep running. Reliability counts for a lot here as well, and from experience Ninco are best. At one event, we ran Ninco McLarens for 8 hours every day for 9 consecutive days. All we had to do was clean the braids every evening, and we didn't even replace them in that whole time. Can you imagine that with any other make ?

We have used several types of Ninco cars, the worst that happens is the rear wings get knocked off. We have not had any design problems since original Mercedes C Klasse cars, when the rear axle bearings were weak and some broke, but as a result of our 'development' work with them, Ninco rapidly changed the chassis. Take a look at very early Mercs and then some later versions to see the difference. Credit to Ninco for taking action so fast, not many manufacturers would modify a car or chassis (yes, I know, Scalextric did the GT40, but it was a complete disaster to start with).

The track we use is Ninco with 110ft lap length. The track has also been ultra reliable, and very non-damaging to the guides and braids.

Just for the record (and this is NOT criticism of other makes, just the facts in our experience) Scalextric cars fell to pieces fairly quickly and the pickups/braids were an intolerable pain in the ar*e with no longevity or reliability. SCX cars took a lot of physical damage but were electrically unreliable (motors trashed and contacts unreliable). Fly ? We didn't even bother to try...............

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
That is a very interesting comparison and bears out my own thoughts on Ninco cars.
Gary, how did the tyres fare on the 'sharp toothed' Ninco track?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
The Ninco tyres were perfectly OK. We started with the standard treaded tyres, and they were slicks by the end of the first day. We ran the same tyres all 9 days on the McLarens and they got a little bit smaller diameter but were very grippy.

As an aside, by the end of the show the Ninco gears were as smooth as silk and the cars were almost silent except for the motor whine. The cars had standard NC1 motors and we were running with a 12 volt 2 amp tranformer per lane, with standard Ninco controllers, the motors didn't overheat but they did get pretty warm. The brass axle bearings were perfect, no axle slop and still a tight fit in the chassis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts