SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Circuit Owner
5,961 Posts
Not every circuit racer is disrespectful or dismissive of slot drag racing.

I saw the 1:24 1/4 mile strip at Gaydon last May and was impressed by:

1) the gorgeous hot rods
2) the exquisite enginering
3) the UNBELIEVABLE speed with which the cars left the lights and shot down the strip.

I must have stayed and watched the racing for 20 minutes or so and lurked around the pits admiring the cars for another 15 minutes.

Drag racing is not for me. Analogue racing is also not for me. I enjoy the nip and tuck of digital racing. I am also thinking about trying some slot rallying- more for the social aspect than anything as the only club within 100 miles of me is rally based.

HOWEVER I have huge respect for the people who participate in drag racing. I can see the appeal and can admire the aesthetics, the engineering and the speed of reaction. I have simply chosen to take a different path because it's one that suits me. Each to their own and respect to those who do it well.

Merry Christmas all - from the sensible majority

· Registered
335 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 22 Dec 2011, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.......HOWEVER I have huge respect for the people who participate in drag racing. I can see the appeal and can admire the aesthetics, the engineering and the speed of reaction. I have simply chosen to take a different path because it's one that suits me. Each to their own and respect to those who do it well.

Merry Christmas all - from the sensible majority

Well said, nothing to add.....

A Merry Christmas to all !

Roland

· Lee Green
1,726 Posts
QUOTE (Schackel @ 22 Dec 2011, 19:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3. Real drag racing is "...just a piece of plastic and metal going down a track at the press of a gas pedal very little skill required here..."
And it's over in like a few seconds - what a HUGE difference.....

I bed you could drive a top fuel drag car 1/4 mile in less than 5 seconds im guessing right if it requires very little skill? This is a REAL CAR doesnt have a slot to stop it going left or right half way down the straight .

QUOTE (Schackel @ 22 Dec 2011, 19:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I forgot one thing - how much more boring must it be to run around a certain circuit track and be amongst the last ones, the losers again and again for hours instead of having the next thrilling chance after a few minutes or seconds....

Yes im always in last place .... its such a shame

I haven't had a go, wouldn't mind a go either just to see what all the fuss is about
... im not in any way disrespecting drag racers for what they do.... merely asking what they find so enjoyable about it? No one has actually stated the 'skill' involved here other than just pressing a button and the obvious setting up a car which i appreciate must be a lot to do with tuning motors and tyre set ups (of course i maybe completely wrong)

· Premium Member
639 Posts
Hi Flange, as I said in my first post, the original question is difficult to answer really. If we were to turn it around and ask you what you find enjoyable about going around and around and around and around and around and around...................... What would your answer be?

I find slot drag racing very exhilarating, the adrenalin pumps when you are standing at the start line waiting for the green light, knowing that you've got to cut a good light to beat your opponent. There is thrill in seeing your car launch and hurtle down the track. Satisfaction when you see the win light come on in your lane. If doesn't then prepare for a rematch and the same excitement again in a short while, no waiting for another 20 or so laps to start another race. Of course this is my personal feeling and may not be the same as other racers.

There's no 'fuss' about about your question or slot drags, I just think it was the way you worded your first post that may have caused the retorts. You think its 'boring as hell' but you haven't tried it. We have several members at the club, who when they joined us, said they found slot drags very inetresting and challenging, and not boring like going around and around. No disrespect to roundy round guys 'n' girls by the way.

Each to their own I guess. What I do know, slot drags is in the monority when it comes to slot car racing. I've done all types of slot car racing and I've chosen to stay with the drags. When we've held demonstrations and public events at the major shows, we've always had good support and people queing for a chance to try their car on the strip. They may not take up the drag racing, but the comments are nearly always positive and that's all that matters to me. Let's enjoy our different types of racing and have fun.

Merry Christmas

G

·
Steve you forgot one of the other enjoyable factors of Drag racing, the making of the cars.

I for one really liked the modelling side of your sport, making something from scratch or adapting a model to fit a drag chassis.

Mike a Molesey member use to bring his VW Van and other great looking models down to the club, he said he wasn't any good at racing but his model making was very good.

I'm a round and round racer with a little bit off the track onto the floor action now and again racer!

So what sort of length track do you need for a 1/32 or 1/24?

· Registered
3,558 Posts
you CANTexplain what drag racing is like. the skill required to builld a chassis to get all that horse power down to the ground, then youv,e got every body style on earth to choose from. it does,nt have to be all that expensive to go really fast with the new neo drag motors, about 0.067-9 with a 90 mph top end. you,ll either love it or hate it BUT you have to try it first. if you embrace new technology and your a scratch builder you,ll love it.seasons greetings john.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
by the way a scale 1/24 drag strip is 55ft long + staging and shut down area adds quite a few feet to the o/a length. the fastest class is funny car and that costs, ets in the region of sub 0.4 secs and terminal speeds in the 130 mph region a motor will set you back the best part of£300. the last post should have read 0.67-9 ets. having trouble with my decimal point. john.

· Lee Green
1,726 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 23 Dec 2011, 15:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>by the way a scale 1/24 drag strip is 55ft long + staging and shut down area adds quite a few feet to the o/a length. the fastest class is funny car and that costs, ets in the region of sub 0.4 secs and terminal speeds in the 130 mph region a motor will set you back the best part of£300.

WOW! (this isn't sarcasm by the way) 130mph is ridiculous , so is the price!

· Circuit Owner
5,961 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 23 Dec 2011, 15:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>by the way a scale 1/24 drag strip is 55ft long + staging and shut down area adds quite a few feet to the o/a length. the fastest class is funny car and that costs, ets in the region of sub 0.4 secs and terminal speeds in the 130 mph region a motor will set you back the best part of£300. the last post should have read 0.67-9 ets. having trouble with my decimal point. john.

Hang on - 130mph at 1:24 - that equates to over 3,000 mph or nearly 5 times the sound barrier. Just as well it isn't 1:1 because the driver would be a 2cm thick layer on the back of the seat.

As I said in my earlier post - big respect for slot drag racers. What impresses me most is the engineering required to lay all that power down as efficiently as possible. Some may say it's just a press of a button - but when you look at the way the cars have to be prepared; the race is won in the build and prep as much as in reacting to the lights.

Montoya1 - I don't believe the thread originator was doing anything other than ask a reasonable question. Some who participated in the thread were lacking in knowledge but I think they have now been enlightened.

Merry Christmas Slot Fans - whatever your pleasure.

· Banned
8,456 Posts
I didn't mean Julian - a good mate - he at least seemed interested in the topic rather than just coming back to extract yet more urine.

As for the 3000mph thing, scale speed be damned
- it's a crock, and that number kinda proves it.

Merry Christmas - Deane

· Premium Member
639 Posts
Hi all, yes those speeds are possible!! I've even heard of Neo motors doing 150mph in 0.4 of a sec in the States. Of course this is with 16 volts and lots of space!!. My track is a scale 1000ft track powered by a 12 volt, high amp hour truck battery. The powered section is about 42 foot long and the shutdown is 18 foot. The track records at present stand at 58mph and quickest elapsed time (ET) is @ .610 sec. As you all rightly say, there is a lot of work that goes into putting this power down onto the track and surviving at the the other end. I love it!!!

Cheers

Steve D

· Registered
335 Posts
QUOTE (Flange @ 23 Dec 2011, 00:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bed you could drive a top fuel drag car 1/4 mile in less than 5 seconds im guessing right if it requires very little skill? This is a REAL CAR doesnt have a slot to stop it going left or right half way down the straight .

Just as I already said - if you remember - thanks for giving me the words to reuse them...

I bet( sorry for the correction) you could drive a top fuel slot drag car 1/4 scale mile in less than track record seconds im guessing right if it requires very little skill? This is a SLOT DRAG CAR , needs the slot because of the much higher acceleration than a real drag car .

More words please, this is a really nice game for a non - native English speaking person to practise the language...

But you might also try to bring at least ONE convincing argument at last.

Roland

· Premium Member
639 Posts
Hi Graeme, magnets offer no benefit at all really, the drag would slow the cars and they are just extra weight, which we can do without. I suppose on a track with magentic rails they could help you stay in the slot, but wheelie bars are much more efficient.

Cheers

Steve D

· Premium Member
517 Posts
Everyone,
In my capacity as one of the the Moderators of this Forum I have received a complaint regarding one of the posts contained within this thread.

Please would you all remember that:

1) Slot car racing is a hobby to be enjoyed by all of those with a like mind.
2) This Forum is - and I quote "...dedicated to exploring, sharing, learning and teaching the skills, thrills and spills of Electric Slot-car Racing."
3) Slot drag racing is but one form of that and is gaining an increasing fan-base as each year goes by.
4) It's Xmas.

I trust that will be the end of the matter.

Regards, Robin.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.