SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone used Slot Dragon race timer system on Scalextric Sport or SCX analogue. Looks interesting so I would be interested in feedback on reliability as I can only find stuff on HO when the system required a magnet in the car - now it's optical sensors.

Chris

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Hi Chris,

I have no experience with this system but i am seriously contemplating getting it,
would also be interested if anybody has experience with this system.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I have a Slot Dragon and love it. Its really simple to install and use and it is ready to go when you buy it - just "Plug and Play". You can learn more about peoples thoughts on them here:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/portal/f...ght=Slot+Dragon

Mine is kind of unusual as they set me up with two sensors that I fitted to a single lane hill climb. It uses magnets which is fine by me as they have no effect on a routed track.

The Christmas tree light is very cool for starting. I guess that the only downside I could think of is that there is no "running" spreadsheet of the times. Personally I don't care.

For $100+ it is a fantastic deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
I had a Slot Dragon system when I had my HO set up. I ended up selling it since I was going to 1:32 and digital so there was no need to keep it. The owner of the company is very willing to stand behind his product and they have recently upgraded the processor so that you can get a perfect .000 reaction time. The unit I had would not allow that to happen. When I had a problem with the replacement unit he sent, he not only sent another one without asking for the one back first but even paid to have the unit shipped back. That is pretty good customer service for a small company like this.
I liked the system and it worked well, espcially the magnetic sensors. I had a little trouble with the bondoman photo eye set up I also bought as getting the led sensors in takes some work and patience. If you want to run older HO cars, the magnetic sensor wont work on the old pancake motors and you have to do the photoeye setup. Also, if you run indy style HO cars with the photoeye, you get false readings since they let light get through after the front wing passes over them so you get a double lap count. Minor, but a pain since you would have to get out the other sensor to run those cars correctly or only run them one lap.
Overall, a great value and no computer needed. The Christmas tree and the reaction time settings are great!
I would purchase again if I ever set up another HO layout.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I see there is a choice of sensors for Scalextric track - either a snap-on sensor which is not compatible with all cars although it's not clear why and what role the magnet plays, unless it's to stop the cars bouncing too far from the sensor?
Alternatively, there is a photo eye sensor which works with all cars but needs 3mm holes drilling in the track . Any feedback to help choosing between these would be interesting.

Chris

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
I would go for the photo sensor as they will also work with mag-less,
the magnet version works with a magnet switch i think, which needs to be activated by a magnet going over it.

Where as the eye can spot any car that passes, i think it would be more accurate too in comparison.
then again i am not an expert and i maybe proven wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I asked SD about the accuracy of each and they indicated that the magnetic one was better. How much they didn't say. For fun racing does it really matter?

For cars that have no mags I just tape a tiny piece of a slim magnet to the chassis and it works fine. It is so small that I don't think it would generate grip on plastic track but can't say for sure as I am on a routed one.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I asked SD to compare the benefits of each detection system:

QUOTE The Photo Eyes detect the entire car. This makes a larger variable when
staging and how far your car will have to travel to break out of the
Reaction Time area.
With HO its not such a big deal and it can actually enhance the Late stage
vs. Rolling start strategies.
However with 1/32 cars I personally don't like it. Short races are often
decided at the starting line and if you stage first and its way forward,
you have a sizeable advantage. You can get really good at rolling starts
which is a lot of fun (When you do a rolling start, your cars starts
moving first and can make your late-staged buddy jump the gun) but
it takes some practice and patience to get it down.
The Snap-on sensors detect the motor mags in HO and the traction mags on
1/32. The detection zone is only about 3/4 inch for HO and 2 inch for
1/32. The above strategies still play a factor, its just more subtle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts