SlotForum banner
181 - 200 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
You use the inside lane for timing, so the borders at the hairpin aren't necessary, no. You do benefit from the ones in the twisty section though (if you have them).

I'll update Sean's list of times with any I can see that haven't been included and put it up in a bit.

edit: The formatting has messed up when I've copied/pasted, so it'll take me a while to sort it out.

Double edit: JLF-1, I see you're reading the thread atm. What do you want as your callsign?! I've put you down as JLF, but is that too close to JLS for you?

·
Registered
331 Posts
JLC please, or F is fine if it's work
Thank you

Nice Table

I had been thinking of rebuilding this track as well! I added some gears and axles to my Nascars

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i,m on the tail end of this thread. but as mentioned in the first page, a simple figure or eight using inside lane only, with a scaley .010 timer and a voltage control[dimmer switch]. just keep upping the voltage till the car comes off, wind the power back till it ciculates as fast as it can without deslotting, then take the time. you can do this for every car and get a base reading of time. the qickest car is the best road holder and from their its down to gearing to suit your track. john

·
Registered
166 Posts
No Chris, those times are driving the track as fast as possible. And we run it clockwise (starting halfway down the main straight).

The constant speed on a figure 8 idea would give a more absolute/controlled time, but doesn't sound much fun imo. Our way has a slight competitive egde to it aswell. For instance, some of my best times are 0.3s behind someone else driving the same car. Gives me something to aim for. Although it's not an exact science, it's fun

·
Circuit Owner
5,944 Posts
Did SlotForum ever show interest is promoting this as a "standard" for test tracks?

Is SlotForum going to Gaydon in May (UK's biggest slot car event)?

Can you see where I'm going with this?

Gaydon would be a great opportunity for SlotForum to set up the test track and invite each manufacturer to run its current range around to provide comparison times. I like the idea of being able to buy cars from across manufacturers knowing that I can get a selection with similar performance.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Sounds like you have just volunteered .................. well done that man

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
QUOTE (villagio @ 10 Apr 2012, 12:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No Chris, those times are driving the track as fast as possible. And we run it clockwise (starting halfway down the main straight).

The constant speed on a figure 8 idea would give a more absolute/controlled time, but doesn't sound much fun imo. Our way has a slight competitive egde to it aswell. For instance, some of my best times are 0.3s behind someone else driving the same car. Gives me something to aim for. Although it's not an exact science, it's fun

Got the track up & running, but I now remember why I packed away the hairpin some time ago - I realise I've become a magless speed crazy brakeless power-sliding junkie, so after the 57th time of reslotting on the hairpin I retired defeated. I did try with the magnet cars but was getting dizzy - got down to 2.7secs with a Boxster on urethanes and magless NSR Mosler down to 3.3 secs.
Hairpin packed away again for another rainy day.

Cheers
Chris

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
You haven't made this track yet Mr F? Wow, you are normally so fast at trying out stuff. It's a great simple little track, and once you run one of your cars, you can't help but run all of them. It does get a little tedious trying to beat your best lap with just one car, but when you have multiple cars then you end up trying to figure out why one is so slow.

The amount of de-slots is a pain on it too(but that could be a driver issue rather than the track).

·
Greg Gaub
16,376 Posts
I know, I know. Every time I remember I want to do it, the only space available is occupied with other things, and then I forget again for a while. I think I did have it up on my table a long time ago, but it was right before I put up my current-ish layout for the big race day when I finally did all the finishing work on my table. That track has been down pretty much since then. Anyway, excuses, excuses, I know. I just need to lay claim to the space for a couple days.

181 - 200 of 330 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.