SlotForum banner
301 - 320 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great idea with this standard track!

Did some testing this weekend:
Track is Scalextrix, digital (c7042), all with magnets, if not mentioned the car is Scalextric:

Top heavy DB9 camera car, lap time: 3,478 (Avatar picture)
Peugeot 908 Hdi FAP (Matmut) (C3411), lap time: 3,522
Peugeot 908 Hdi FAP (blue no 9) (C3411), lap time: 3,211
MC12 std, lap time: 3,494
MC12 orange special no 1, lap time: 2,361
MC12 orange/black special no 2, lap time: 2,311
DB9 Scalextric std, lap time: 4,315
DB9 orange special no 1, lap time: 3,067
DB9 orange/black special no 2, lap time: 2,443
DB9 orange TwinE special no 3, lap time: 2,212
NSR Porsche 997 std, lap time: 2,975
NSR Porsche 997 std + magnet, lap time: 2,357
NSR Porsche 997 orange Special no 1, lap time: 2,108
NSR C6R black std, lap time: 3,205
NSR C6R orange, lap time: 2,343
NSR AM orange std, lap time: 3,048
Jordan f1 non std, lap time: 2,023
The Jordan F1 is full throttle all the way around, except in R1. I use this one as pacer!

No truing or gluing, just taken down from the shelf. Tires are a mix off standard (tyres which came with the car), but also non standard tyres are used on some of the "orange cars".
Later I will try with different tires, to see the difference.

·
Greg Gaub
16,374 Posts
I tried to come up with a similar layout in Carrera, but nothing I came up with had the same overall design. The problem is that Carrera doesn't have a true hairpin turn. Their R1 is as large as a Scalextric R2. If you come up with a layout that has the same basic design, and measure the exact slot length, then actual and scale speeds can be compared, if not hard lap times.

·
Greg Gaub
16,374 Posts
Ah. Great Carrera track for a small-ish space. Looks like he has another good one with the cloverleaf bit.
If you could measure the slot length of one lane, and use that lane for your tests, you could probably calculate the average speed to compare to other cars as raced on the SlotForum Test Track, even though it doesn't have the same mix of turns. Ideally, though, a track with the same, or similar, mix of turns would be best. At the very least, you can compare your times to anyone else using the same layout.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Finally I found the time to do a few laps after tires have been trued, and scalextric std tires is changed to eurethane:
Peugeot 908 Hdi FAP, lap time: 2,145 (from 3,211)
NSR Porsche 997 orange Special no 1, lap time: 1,860 (from 2.108)
new tires, but not yet trued:
Peugeot 908 Hdi orange special (with added weight, >93g, club rule), lap time: 2,253

·
Greg Gaub
16,374 Posts
1.860 with your NSR Porsche, nice!
Anyone else?
I've gotten several cars since I did my tests. I'll probably set it up again once I finish a big project I'm working on.

·
ParrotGod
10,530 Posts
personally I do not see any point in building this track...it takes space and it needs an APB. I prefer to have the APB attached on my main track. But if you want to put your lap time in contest with others, you could build the current ISC track and have a go at it. There are some lap times posted on the connectedslotracer website.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
QUOTE (koks @ 27 Oct 2015, 14:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there really nobody who will try to beat this lap time?
Or just post there results?

As soon as I get a bit of time I'll make it out of classic track though my Slot it Nissan won't get anywhere near to its capabilities on such a small circuit, and the guide will foul

However I'll run a few others round just to compare, including my Cooper & BRM from 1963!!

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
QUOTE (hankscorpio @ 30 Apr 2010, 20:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After finally getty my own track up and running and tuning some of my own cars GregK had a good suggestion about a way to compare models we don't own against the one we do...

The idea was simple we develop a "test track design" from commonly available parts that any of us could build on the "Rug" for a test session.. By only using times to 1/10 th of a second even the analogue lap counter timer can be used and removes the competitive element! hopefully

The idea is to see not who is the fastest racer but what are the fastest cars and by how much on a "standard" track then by timing cars with "Mods" we can see which ones worked best etc.... as long as we are all honest of course... which of course we would be!

All we would need is a "track design" to begin with to start to build up a table of the best cars... Any ideas, designs etc for the track appreciated.

So who is up for doing some testing of their cars.... if we can find a dozen or so people who would like to play could make for some intersting results...

I'm game... digital or analogue it doesn't matter all are welcome.

This has turned out to be a very successful (and long) thread. It's been requested that the final test track layout be
replicated here at the beginning where it's easy to find for reference. Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, hope this helps...
John

An APB is not necessary as a standard 4 car powerbase will suffice or even, heaven forbid, an analogue one ......

·
Greg Gaub
16,374 Posts
And any analog lap timer will work nicely, even a cell phone with "Slot Car Trainer" or similar apps installed that detect the car using the various sensors in the phone. This was common for the SLOP Proxy race, and would work fine for this track.

·
Greg Gaub
16,374 Posts
Ah, memories. I recently gifted all the track needed for this layout to a friend in my clubs that doesn't have much room for any kind of track. I still think it's the best test layout barring a much larger track.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Interesting concept, I had missed this. That Carrera test track also looks interesting that you linked to a couple of pages back MrFlippant.

Have often wondered if internet propogation delays would ever be low enough to remotely drive cars on someone else's track with an IP equipped controller. I know people have worked out midi over IP and MIDI CC input data comes to mind as a quick way to test the concept. If someone had a track that was a suitable size and had decent enough flow then you could put an IP camera over the layout, people at home could watch a video stream whilst controlling the car via MIDI CC messages sent by a suitable IP equipped midi controller. The track end would consist of a MIDI decoder that translated the 7 bit CC information to PWM for motor control via a microcontroller.

My experience in radio studio to transmitter links tells me that with the internet the way it is that this would not work due to the propogation and processing delays involved, especially with video. But maybe with more light pipe and faster internet that this could be tested as a concept one day.

Has a clever IP equipped RMS ever been used to race an opponent over the internet on the standardised layout mentioned? I have heard of such a system but that was on NDigital that is no longer on the market.

Cheers,

Steve.

301 - 320 of 330 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.