SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 330 Posts

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
Ok live pic of the slot forum test track in the flesh...

err it somehow seems bigger in the flesh! so the shopping list is....

1 x Hairpin Kit (or 4x R1 & 2x std straight if that is your track system)
1 x Powerbase
1 x Lapcounter
1 x Half Straight
8 x Standard Straights
10 x R2 Curves

Will work out the variances between Ninco & Scaley but my copy of "Ultimate Racer" is playing up since i tried to switch it into metric..... grrrr

i just noticed something familair about this layout.... rotate the image below 180deg anti clockwise.... ooops!

entirely accidental... i think... unless the years of playing in the arcades have affected my brain!

·
Greg Gaub
16,398 Posts
Looks good to me.
Obviously, Ninco will take a little bit more space, but anyone participating in this would likely already have laid down a bigger track SOMEWHERE in their house than that. ;-)

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
And the first timing runnning anticlockwise....

21.69ft or 6.51m with the actual length from NINCO track pieces we can work out the "fudge factor" to ensure we get a comparartive for that...

box standard Super resisant F430... 3.0 seconds.... Scaley F1 Standard car but silicone tyres... 2.6 seconds....

So we are away... have tested a few more cars with other setups but the track needs a good cleaning session before anything meaningful can be drawn...

Who is gonna be next?

I will try a classic setup at the weekend unless someone else gets there first...

·
Greg Gaub
16,398 Posts
Fuji! That is familiar!
We race that on Gran Turismo all the time.

As for NINCO, according to TrackPower, the inside lane is 739cm, or 24' 3"
TrackPower says the Scaley version (with hairpin rather than R1) is 662cm, or 22' 9".
Scaley with R1 instead of hairpin says 650cm, or 21' 4"

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It looks to me like a subconcious Fuji mixed with a bit of "what will fit around the lounge furniture, but it got my vote from the first pic.

More Ninco results will be coming soon!

QUOTE (hankscorpio @ 5 May 2010, 23:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok live pic of the slot forum test track in the flesh...

err it somehow seems bigger in the flesh! so the shopping list is....

1 x Hairpin Kit (or 4x R1 & 2x std straight if that is your track system)
1 x Powerbase
1 x Lapcounter
1 x Half Straight
8 x Standard Straights
10 x R2 Curves

Will work out the variances between Ninco & Scaley but my copy of "Ultimate Racer" is playing up since i tried to switch it into metric..... grrrr

i just noticed something familair about this layout.... rotate the image below 180deg anti clockwise.... ooops!

entirely accidental... i think... unless the years of playing in the arcades have affected my brain!

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
Scaley Sport Track
Standard Controller
Porche Boxter Super Resistant (Red)
Standard Tires - SuperDads truer trued
Standard Magnet - at the rear location
13.8v 100% power

Edit: 2.605 2.396 (thanks to Sticky Tracktm)

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Well I should be in Italy now enjoying the delights of the Mini Mille Miglia, but events out of my control prevent it, so I've now got 4 or 5 days free of work...........

I'm gonna build up this Track in Scaley Classic, using 2 90deg r.1 curves and 2 straight D instead of the swerve, dont think it'll make a lot of difference, however the powerbase and laptimer may need to be sport/converter, depends what I can find before the wife realises what i'm up to.

If there is enough space I'll build another alongside in Sport as a comparison to see how different cars run on the 2 surfaces.

Back later!

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
Sorry to hear you are missing out. But glad you can join us.

Sliding is fun but is it quicker? Are slotcars like gp cars where sliding is bad? Or are they more like rally cars where it is good. My lap times are so inconsistent I'm finding it hard to descerne where I was fast to get a fast time.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Think logically Mr Kiwi. If your rear wheels are the drive wheels they will be most efficiently converting the drive power to forward momentum when the vehicle is travelling parallel to the turning wheel. If you are sliding around a corner there is only a portion of the spinning wheel's power being converted into forward momentum.

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Ditto Trev...

One thing i have to say is err my god its hard to drive that track really fast! it really punishes you for pushing too hard... 2.4 seconds is really quick... i take it that was with a magnet? and whats is Sticky track TM?

Lap times last night demonstrated allarmingly how dust affects the performance of sport track (been laying in a box for months) however after a few laps I could see a clean line appearing on the track going from greyish to black... but it was far too late to spend an hour or so cleaning track to get the times to something more realistic... Not to mention my other half moaning about the "Beeeping" from the bloody analogue lap counter!

AWSCC... honestly never planned it to go around the furniture! crawling on the floor is a no no for me with my broken rib... so all planning done on the PC... The design was a compromise between what Mrkiwi and Stefan had suggested but included a hairpin as well as the esses and a long straight... seems to work though!

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
QUOTE (hankscorpio @ 6 May 2010, 21:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and whats is Sticky track TM?
Thanks for asking.

I've got a xlc just after the tape, then the PB. So I can run over the Sticky Track, and then try for a fast lap without having to take my car off the track.

QUOTE (Koala2 @ 6 May 2010, 22:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please specify : magnets in or out ? Running clockwise - straight into hairpin ?
Yes magnet in. I'm going clockwise.

I've also just realised I've been cheating. I put my PB at the end of the straight. My fast times were when I came off on the hairpin after a fast lap. I'm moving it to the middle of the straight.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Sliding works against speed... Anywhere. Doesn't matter what sort of car. The only reason why it has less detrimental effect in the rally car's is because its usally on a loose surface. Therefore the physics applied are a little more complex.

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 6 May 2010, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As for NINCO, according to TrackPower, the inside lane is 739cm, or 24' 3"
TrackPower says the Scaley version (with hairpin rather than R1) is 662cm, or 22' 9".
Scaley with R1 instead of hairpin says 650cm, or 21' 4"

Thanks for that greg all the track designers seem to give different answers to the length... i don't trust scaley one 6.58m...UR3 said 6.61m track power 6.62m how but thinking that we should use track power as are "standard" track designer for track measurements and conversion factors as it has all track systems available... any thoughts? (i don't have a copy installed) but it seems the most popular choice with slotters.

739cm on Ninco compared to 662cm on scaley is 11.4% bigger so to convert times on ninco to match if we multiply the time by "89.6" i.e 3.0 sec becomes 2.68 (2.7) we have the size differential taken into account.... anybody got any thoughts? or can we agree on that?

Track surface differentials will have to be worked out separately based on timings as they come in...

Nothing wrong with any "tweak" to a car as long as its announced alongside the times.... Trevs lazy approach to tyre cleaning is innovative... but cleaning tyres beforehand is ok... maybe not on the track though mrkiwi sir!

we also need to agree the position of the timer and the direction of travel...

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
QUOTE (Koala2 @ 6 May 2010, 22:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quote : "So I can run over the Sticky Track, and then try for a fast lap"
I know a picture is better than a thousand words but a few words might not be bad in this case. Please ?
As the cr runs around the track it picks up dust cleaning the track but making the tires dirty. Hankscorpio suggested rolling the wheels over tape to clean the dust off the wheels of the car. I thought why not put it on the pitlane.

QUOTE (hankscorpio @ 6 May 2010, 22:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trevs lazy approach to tyre cleaning is innovative... but cleaning tyres beforehand is ok... maybe not on the track though mrkiwi sir!
It's on the outside lane not the inside. I have to do a full outside lap before I can clean the wheels. Please don't make me do something manually.

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
I would vote for D as not everybody (including me) is willing to fork out on a hairpin set.
if E and F where with R2`s only i would vote for that track.

The problem i see now is that a track is maybe going to be `it` and that it does require purchasing of track...
so the less fortunate will not be able to participate,
and i thought the whole idea was to make a nice challenging track that everybody can build...which is not the case now

61 - 80 of 330 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.