SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Slot City
331 Posts
I don't have any knowledge of the model railway market myself, as we only stock slot cars. However, I was talking to a long time model shop owner earlier this year who was of the view that model railways were on the decline with slot cars on the increase.

The main reason for this is that younger people are more attracted to cars than trains. They didn't grow up with them, unlike the 'older' generation who did and so have more interest in them. A lot of younger people have probably not even seen a steam train, let alone gone train spotting.

This results in an ageing and reducing market for model railways, and a younger and increasing market for slot cars.

Whether this is true or not I can't say, they are not my views.

However, the slot car market is definetly booming at present and attracting a lot of new people (of all ages).

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 2 Nov 2004, 20:02)If young people are not interested in trains, then how come Hornby cannot make enough of the Thomas the Tank Engine stuff to keep up with demand?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know - as per my post they weren't my views, just something another retailer said.

However, I'd imagine the Thomas the Tank Engine products sell well because of the branding rather than them being trains - though this is a bit of a circular argument what with Thomas being a Tank Engine.

Maybe a better example would be Harry Potter. Do they sell well to kids because they are train sets, or because they have got Harry Potter on them? I reckon Harry Potter is the main reason (cos he is 'cool' apparently).

Jon,
Slot City.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts