SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alfa Romeo 33/3 #15 2nd Cascavel de Ouro 1973 Angi Munhoz7

The Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Sport Prototype was designed in the mid 1960s to race in the World Sports Car Championship.

Eventually it succeeded and won the Manufacturers' Championship in 1975, and again in 1977. Designed by Carlo Chiti, a famous Italian engineer, the several variants of the car were raced by the Alfa factory and by many privateers as well. In 1971 it won three World Championship races: Brands Hatch, Watkins Glen, and Targa Florio. In the same year the T33/3 cars featured a monocoque chassis, panelled in alluminum and magnesium, a 2998 cc engine, and a 6 or 5 speed sequential gearbox. Top speed reached 330 km/h, at Le Mans with long tail.

The Brazilian driver Angi Munhoz engaged an Alfa-Romeo 33-3 in competitions run in his country. The car had sponsors "Motoradio", on background painted in the same yellow as the one of the national flag. The Brazilian regulations required that cars had motor of national production, so the Motoradio Alfa 33 was fitted with a Ford Maverick engine, V8, 4.9 liters displacement. With this car, Angi Munhoz finished second at Cascavel de Ouro 1973.

EVO6 chassis
New motor mount
Lighter body: 14.0 g
New cockpit and pick-up

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great news! Good to see that Slot It updated the front of the car (with painted headlight covers) as the real model.

Many enthusiasts considered a crime in those days to include a heavily modified Maverick Ford V8 in this car, however, it was the way Greco found to keep the car racing in Brazil. Actually, until 1972 there was not this kind of restriction, however, with creation of the Brazilian "Grupo 4" or "Construtores" category, this was a measure in order to try (to extent as possible) assure that national produced prototypes would not be beaten by the foreign cars in the races...

The main oposition in 1973 came from the Avallone prototypes, which were actually, a kind of copy of the Can Am Lola T222, engined with national Chevrolet, Ford and Chrysler engines.

Basically the rules of this championship allowed national cars with national modified engines and foreign cars with national engines.

The series survived until 1976 and died due to be expensive and many drivers's decision to run formula V, formula ford categories.

Cheers!!

Ricardo Bifulco

·
Vendor
2,916 Posts
Hi Ricardo, and thanks for the information.
Actually, the front lights were the subject of some internal discussion. Should we use the mould with no openings, or strictly reproduce the car that had the lights in place, but painted, even if the model would probably look less 'clean'? We opted for realism, good to know it is appreciated.

Thanks
Maurizio

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Maurizio I don't know how you keep doing it??? This era of real car dose not appeal to me at all and I would probably walk past the real car at a show without a second look but your model is stunning and makes me want the little Alfa in my collection.

Well done Slot-it another great car

·
Registered
437 Posts
QUOTE (honestjudge @ 18 Jul 2012, 00:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, so are you saying this car has done away with the mabuchi and got a different motor in it........

Basically yes, due to local regulations.

And according to what they said from those days the car was good with this engine as well.

The car after the end of the series has returned to its original engine configuration and color. I took some pictures of it in a event here in Sao Paulo a couple of years ago. It seems that current owner is the President(or director) of São Paulo Futebol Clube ( a very traditional football soccer team here).

By the way, here goes a picture of the car prior this livery:

It is dated from 1972 Interlagos. The car was imported through Jolly Concessionária and first driver was Marivaldo Fernandes. Picture is from Rogério P.D. Luz.

I'm really glad that Slot It decided to reproduce a Brazilian team car. You did again Maurizio.

Cheers!

Ricardo Bifulco

·
David H
3,724 Posts
QUOTE (honestjudge @ 17 Jul 2012, 23:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, so are you saying this car has done away with the mabuchi and got a different motor in it........
QUOTE (nino barlini @ 17 Jul 2012, 22:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basically yes, due to local regulations.

V8 slot cars. Nice. Why can't we have similar regulations in the UK? Replacing an electric motor with a V8 isn't so complicated. Even Top Gear managed it...

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/vDlMLqdvHzI?rel=0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts