SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
As I received my BSLT track, I've started playing with the setting in the Slot.it App.
I've noticed if I set, for say, the max speed to 25%, the chip is not remapping the full course of the trigger, but in this case the max speed is reached when the trigger is at 25% of its course, after, nothing.

I think it is not right, as we are not taking advange of the controller trigger full course.
I've you've understood what I've tried to explain.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As far as I know (and tested), the Type C work this way when set in Carrera D312 mode (of course not via app but via CU settings). Speed limit just "truncate" the throttle curve.

I cannot test the chip in O2 mode, but perhaps it works the same...

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it seems to work as you describe it. While it work, it is implemented the best way for an user perspective.
I hope it can be fixed.

Also in SCP-3 there is not the mode that exist with the SCP-2, with which you can adjust the max speed with Curve/Max rotary resitor. I think it's a missing feature in my opinion.

·
Greg Gaub
15,353 Posts
Max power/speed control for the SCP3 is planned, but not currently implemented. It should hopefully be there soon.

Atobit, can you clarify exactly what mode the chip is in (and what firmware for what system) when you are finding this "truncated throttle" behavior? I'd like to do some testing here, but want to be sure and test the settings you are using. I did not notice this behavior when I tested the max speed setting in the C chip yesterday, but that was in plain oXigen mode.

·
Greg Gaub
15,353 Posts
OK, never mind. I did some more testing with some more (higher speed) cars and had similar results as you. To be clear, this was a slot.it Group C Lancia, stock drive system, with a Type C chip. I updated to the latest oXigen firmware, v3.15a released on 21-03-26 via the slot.it app. Controller is also v3.15a for SCP3.

I set the chip max speed to 50% (brakes also at 50%) and tested with wheels up, listening to the tone of the motor/gear noise. It topped out at about 75% throttle trigger pull. I then set the speed and brakes to 25% and did the same thing. This time, the tone topped out at about 40% trigger pull.

Thinking about it, it kind of makes sense. The throttle doesn't know what the car's speed limit is, so it's sending the full range of speed commands according to it's own settings. The SCP3 does not currently have any mode that limits the top/max power/speed. Until that changes, 100% trigger pull will send 100% power command to the chip. I am not a programmer, but it would not be hard to convince me that the most efficient way to have the car limit its speed to what you've told it to is to have it ignore speed commands beyond that limit. I'll do another test... Yep. As expected, if I made adjustments to the SCP3 knobs so that power comes on sooner or later, the effect is passed to the car.

For example, with Min speed set to 0, curve set to 0, and the switch on top set to Slow, I have more trigger motion before it tops out. If I set min speed to 50, curve to 10, and the top switch to Fast, the speed tops out pretty much as soon as I touch the trigger.

What you're asking is for the car chip to remap all throttle levels it receives according to it's max speed setting. Maybe this is an improvement slot.it has planned for the future, but I expect that it will take some clever coding to fit in whatever space is available on the chip... and how long that takes will depend on where such a feature lands on their list of priorities... assuming it's even possible.

I'm sure if someone has a great idea for how to make the full out put of the controller map to the limited power of the car, slot.it would love to hear it. Or, maybe a future SCP3 update will add the max power setting/option to the controller, simplifying the whole thing. :)

Until then, maybe adjusting the controller itself will help. :)

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
To be honest, I am not surprised. This is the same way in which the power limit is controlled in Chrono: if you lower the power from 100% in Chrono, say 80% as an example, once the throttle reaches the 80% mark, pressing it any further does not have any effect. In other words, the 80% power band is not spread across the full 100% "movement" of the trigger.
To make use of the full trigger movement, it should be programmed as a profile (similar to the profile tools in RCS64). so that the 80% power band is spread across the full throttle values.
I am using RCSO2 with fuel simulation which limits the power of the car when it has a full tank: to be honest I have not noticed any lag so maybe team RCS has done a better work in implementing this feature instead of relying on O2 power limiting feature...but I have not done any testing to check this. Will do and report back.

·
Greg Gaub
15,353 Posts
That makes sense, that they would use the same protocol for that as for Chrono.

I bet if you paid close attention, it will work the same way in RCSO2. In a racing situation, you're much more focused on the car than where your finger happens to be in the midst of driving. I had to LOOK for this behavior to see it. It did not affect my ability to drive the car at all with my normal controller settings.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
When we raced oXigen using Chrono before RCSO2 was released, I used to lower the power to 80% with the power toggle in Chrono and we noticed a lot.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your feedback and thanks Mr. Flippant for the useful and very vwell explain video.
Actually, yes, having a power limitation thru one of the knobs would be the best solution. Maybe we could do it with a combination of buttons, like your press the two arrow buttons and turning the Curve/Max knob at the desired position will set the max power. The two-digit led indicator would tell you what limit you have set.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
Just to be clear, the SCP 2 and below have a "child mode" where you can set up the max power via the Max/Curve knob. And you do not need the LCD to tell you what the power settings as you can easily read from the knob (that is the beauty of having dials and knobs). However, it seems that this more is not currently supported in the SCP3 (I did not know about this until I read it here from Mr Flippant - I was assumed that was a standard of the SCP controllers family).

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I use the SCP-2 this way for my son. I found the speed reduction was not really proportional to the knob position,
The speed is reduce up to 3~4, at 4 you reach 100% speed. Thought it is better than nothing.
It remember me like when I tried to dim a LED with a rotatry resistor, the dim effect works only the firt 30% of the knob course, mybe it's an electonic thing.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
When we raced oXigen using Chrono before RCSO2 was released, I used to lower the power to 80% with the power toggle in Chrono and we noticed a lot.
In RCS02 you can lower the power for a car in the car setup. We use this a lot to even out performance between cars (like if you want to use NSR and scalextric cars in same race) but of course will also work well to limit the power for a car driven by child.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
Tested the fuel simulation in RCSO2 and the behaviour is similar to Chrono power reduction where the last part of the trigger movement does not contribute to any power increase.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
In RCS02 you can lower the power for a car in the car setup. We use this a lot to even out performance between cars (like if you want to use NSR and scalextric cars in same race) but of course will also work well to limit the power for a car driven by child.
Yes, I use this feature to reduce the power for our less experienced drivers.

·
Vendor
2,974 Posts
Understood.
The behavious can't be any different being made on the car IC - to do waht you ask for, it has to be made on the SCP.
Cristian is away for 10 more days, we'll discuss this when he's back.
The only sensible way to do it IMO on the SCP3 would be to ignore the 100% top speed at the end of the trigger's run, and limit the max to the Curve/Max pot setting so that in fact the whole curve is remapped. However, when in the hands of a children, the first thing they do is to tamper with the knobs, so there should also be a way to fix the Max value regardless of the knob setting.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
I understand that is a nice feature to have a "kid" mode for the scp controllers, but I would say that this is a corner case now.
With the arc pro controllers on the market, I would recommend to invest in few of these cheap controllers, and leave the scp out of the reach of kids.
Basically, I would like to see a functionality for reducing power to be tailored to more mature drivers than having a compromised functionality because we have to care about kids messing with knobs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts