SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Interested to hear feedback on the Audi R8 versus the other front-running LMPs out there.

On Ninco track sans magnets I've been running an NSR Audi R18 since they came out. I love how it lets you throw it at the corners and you just know it's going to come out the other end.

Of course it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree into a barrel ugly concentrate. I think NSR looked at a photo of an R18 once... possibly. But for me it's the LMP of choice so far.

And yet the R8 hasn't been subject to the usual degree of fervour that surrounds a new Slot.It or open competition contenders. So how is it? I see it's very pretty and weighs nothing - does it go as well as it looks?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The lack of fervour is probably due to it being an old design and similar available from Scalextric and SCX. Having said that, I would expect to run extremely well given it's low CoG

Reactions: driver#8

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I don't think that they did either ....... what I said was that it was "an old design and similar available from Scalextric and SCX" .........
smile.png

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as a guide, the fastest non-magnet car I've ever seen around out track is the bantamweight Avant Slot Mirage, mainly because of the magnetic pull from its motor, which helps the manic little projectile to around the 9.0 second mark. That's not eligible for modern LMP (in fact it's pretty much been banned by gentleman's agreement), so the NSR Audi R18 is about a 9.7 and the Slot.It reloaded R8C and Lola Aston, the Avant Audi R10s and other Black Arrow/SlotingPlus etc all hover at the 10.0 second mark, give or take. Again, I emphasise this is only as the cars come out of the box. So if anyone's run theirs in that sort of company it would be good to hear about.

·
David H
3,791 Posts
Again, I emphasise this is only as the cars come out of the box. So if anyone's run theirs in that sort of company it would be good to hear about.
I think my lap time list is probably a good reference for the out-of-the-box performance of Slot.it's Audi R8.

When I buy new cars, I immediately remove the magnet, lubricate everything and then, without further fiddling other than truing the rear tyres and setting the front axle height on those that are adjustable, run them for 50 or so laps of my home Ninco track, after which I'll drive a further 20 or so flat out and record the fastest lap. That's about as close to box-standard as most non-mag racers will get.

Below is a list of the fastest 29 cars (out of 594 that have been timed) recorded on my home track in its current configuration. It's 29 because the Slot.it Audi R8 lies in 29th place.

Make of the list what you will. Personally I believe that the differences in age of tyres, and manufacturing batch from which they came, are responsible for most, if not all, of the performance difference between otherwise identical cars.

Material property Font Parallel Symmetry Pattern

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,215 Posts
I have heard that the Avant Slot Mirage is also excellent on wood with copper tape. I wonder why this car is so good!

Has anyone pitched it against a NSR mosler?

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amazing data there, David! Thanks for sharing.

There's clearly something to be said for building fast cars - although perhaps Avant and Spirit should work a bit harder on the rest of their business model.

Interesting that the P68 is well up there. We've got an NSR Classics class and it's a weapon. The 917K and Ford Mk.IV keep it honest thankfully, as it gets pretty tedious when classes become single car series.

By the looks of it, LMP is still wide open given the variables of weight placement and tyre fettling - six tenths is hardly a country mile. Lots of good options, too.

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
I think David's comment on tire variation is well stated. Some years ago, because they were a common fitment and a proxy race was using them as the spec tire, I examined my rather large stock of Ninco "classic" 7X21 tires. There was a very large range of performance. I attributed this not only to age but to the inherent variations in the injection molding process. These include age and moisture content of the feed material, molding temperature and cycle time and, in a multi-cavity mold, cavity position - the latter determines proximity to the cooling passages and thus cooling profile. These variables will apply to any molded (vs cast as is the case with urethanes) tire.

EM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts