SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right topic. I´ve got a few Slot-it cars that I´d like to upgrade to Carrera digital with this chipset. Possible?
Hand Material property Magenta Nail Font

I´ve got these Slot-it cars:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Toy

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
Everything is possible.
Will it be easy? Not unless the car is new enough to have both the wiring WITH the connectors AND has been designed to hold that chip.
Otherwise, you'll need to solder wires as appropriate, and possible cut holes into the chassis, as well as cut away some of the interior. The newer the car, the more likely you'll have less of that work to do. The older the car, the more likely you'll have to do all of those things.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is possible.
Will it be easy? Not unless the car is new enough to have both the wiring WITH the connectors AND has been designed to hold that chip.
Otherwise, you'll need to solder wires as appropriate, and possible cut holes into the chassis, as well as cut away some of the interior. The newer the car, the more likely you'll have less of that work to do. The older the car, the more likely you'll have to do all of those things.
Thanks for your reply. I´ll open a car tomorrow or so to see what it looks like inside. It´s nearly 01.30 am here. So time to go to sleep...

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Giving the cars you have selected, I would say that even if they were new releases it would be hard to accommodate all the extra wiring caused by the connectors.
The other thing is that the chip has that socket for DPR cars that will make fitting the interior quite problematic.
Are you ok with using a soldering iron?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Giving the cars you have selected, I would say that even if they were new releases it would be hard to accommodate all the extra wiring caused by the connectors.
The other thing is that the chip has that socket for DPR cars that will make fitting the interior quite problematic.
Are you ok with using a soldering iron?
The cars are very low. There won´t be much space left. I'm not too concerned about the interior. I'd have to tear it out if necessary. I was already planning on getting a Dremel and a soldering iron for that kind of work anyway.
When I left school I worked as a plumber for years. We also made gutters, also with a soldering iron, but I think it's a bit different than soldering cables.;) But I can at least try. There's a first time for everything, right? o_O

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
If you're ok with no interior, then just remove it on the off chance you ever want to remove the chip and run it as analog, or sell it.
If you want an interior, another option is to get one of their "lightweight" vac formed interiors.

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
I think you will be totally fine with the iron then.
If you are getting one buy one with low Watts or a soldering station where you can adjust temp.
As for the interior, the lexan options suggested by MR Flippant is a good alternative...but do not discount the original interior as you could get good results with a bit of extra effort.
Dremel and a set of scalpels/blades are a must.

Reactions: Dr_C

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, to start with I ordered a multitool, a soldering iron, a third hand and a glue gun o_O :cool:

Game controller Video game accessory Home game console accessory Gun barrel Font
Gas Rectangle Tool Cylinder Font
Automotive lighting Light Product Circuit component Hardware programmer
Rectangle Font Electronic device Gadget Cable

A good friend who works with that kind of stuff recommended them. I hope they will help me to do the jobs.

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
All good tools to have in your arsenal.

For holding chips in, these days I prefer blue-tack. This is the stuff sold to hold posters and such to walls without causing any damage to paint. Some people even use it as a weight in place of lead. Use as much as you need to hold the chip in place. It holds firmly, does not damage components (as excess heat from some kinds of hot glue might), and is not hard to remove (as some hot glue or adhesives can be) and can be reused often. Other than accumulating tire dust, there are not down sides that I've experienced, and even that is not much of a down side. ;-)

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
I would not use hot glue for holding the chip in place.
I also like blue-tack and sometime I add a bit of G-S Hypo to avoid any extra movements.

·
novice jazz player &
6,600 Posts
I guess the issue with hot glue is that if ever attempting to remove the decoder any glue which is touching any surface mount components could pull that component off the PCB… it’s happened to me… since the glue bond can be stronger than the solder attachment - particularly for lead free solders as now the industry standard.

c

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,147 Posts
Blu-tack is one way to hold a chip down.
I prefer using a thin strip of insulation tape either :
a) wrapped around the motor mount then over the chip
or
b) superglued to the interior of the chassis sticky side up which then is wrapped over the chip.
Alan

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
I think Alan is using tape to fix the chip to the pod (tape wrapped around the pod and chip).
The second method a section of the non-sticky part of the tape is superglued to the chassis and the tape is wrapped around the chip - like creating an harness around the chip that is fixed to the chassis.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts