Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i have a few slot-it cars that i will be running on a routed track wich will be coppertaped.

The cars will be running standard motors so that is about 22,000rpm,??so if they run mag free can i reliably use standard scalextric solder in chips.???

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Ade,

Is the assumption here that because your running magless there is less resistance on the motor so it will draw less current?

I would be intrested in knowing the answer to this myself so will be keeping my eye on this topic as I have just purchased a Scaleauto Merc and Keeto is waiting for the Honda.

I hope there are guys out there running this :)

I also assume that the routed track is also digital?

Colin

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
yes Colin digital track.I am hoping that the loss of the magnet means that the chips will be drawing less current and this means that they will be safe running the slot-it motors.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi
is that with or without mags Trev.??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi

we drive SSD with SlotIT until 25.000 rpm Motors without problems. No chips burnt. up to 30.000 rpm and Anglewindermotors with more than 22000 maybe there is a problem. But we drive anglewinder with 25000 rpm and SSD chips too. Sometimes if a motor get a blockade the chip burn. With Scalex chip we drive Slotit, NSR an Ninco in standard allways as well.

best regards Reiner

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi
many thanks to all that have replied with the experiences..

Looks like it's ok then to run these cars with the scaley solder in saloon chip wich is nice as i whant to use the chips with the mih software with the working break lights and other goodies.

·
Greg Gaub
14,639 Posts
I wish my experience were the same.

I believed it to be possible, since so many people have said it was (as above, and slot.it themselves), but when I tried, it was not. Maybe the chips I got are new and less capable than older chips, I don't know.
My digital club is running slot.it Group C cars magless. One of the guys didn't have a slot.it chip so we told him he could use a Scaley one since we're running magless. I helped him chip the car, and when we put it on the track, it went a couple feet and stopped. This repeated over and over. The power was already at 50%, and we reprogrammed the chip several times, but every time it would stop after a couple feet. So, thinking it was a bad chip, we tried another one. Both chips were brand new out of the box. This time, I didn't do all the things needed to secure the chip and LED, I just wired the chip output to the motor. Even with the wheels OFF the track, free spinning, the car would stall after a very short time.
I set my PB to show max amp draw (PB-Pro C7030 feature), and even with the wheels up, the motor was pulling 2 amps. As the Scalextric chips are rated only to 1.5 amps, I was no longer surprised by it's inability to keeping the car going.
And no, the car was brand new, and while it had yet to be broken in, it was by no means stiff or otherwise having problems that would cause extra amp draw.
We ended up pulling a chip out of one of my cars and he bought me a new chip when they became available.

So, what would I recommend. Well, if you have the chips, go ahead and try it. Worst case is the same thing happens as did for me, or you pop a chip. If you pop the chip, don't replace it, send it off to gmyers for the mosfet/diode upgrade. You'll get a rock-solid chip in return that's faster than before due to less voltage drop. Best case is it works for you and the world is a happy place.

I wish I knew how people manage to get their scaley chips to push slot.it motors, especially ones faster than the stock orange (21.5k) cans. I'd love to chip my slot.it classics.

I will mention that the chips used were F1 chips. I thought they were as capable as the saloon chips, just without the light and programming pads. If people are using saloon chips rather than F1 chips, please let us know.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi
do your failures come down to the cars running some 20% faster in the states due to different voltages and cycles.???

Seem to remember sean(hankscorpio) working out some time ago the differnce in running speeds..

Interesting to hear GMyers is still doing the chip upgrades,i have one of his chips so will start off with that one and see how it compares to a standard one..

·
Greg Gaub
14,639 Posts
Hmm... I guess, but since I'm powering the base with a regulated power supply, the base SHOULD be ending up with pretty much the same power as anyone else using a decent regulated unit. Besides, the simple-H adds another layer of conversion making it even more likely to end up the same as anyone else.

Yes, Greg is still doing chip mods as far as I know. Last I conversed with him, he'd done well over a hundred for people around the world. He was planning to include reprogramming services, but I don't know where he is with that right now. As for how they compare to standard ones, well, that depends on if your chip got the mosfet upgrade, the diode upgrade, or both. It's the diode change that gives the car more volts to play with. It's the mosfet change that lets it run higher amps before it craps out. The one chip I have has had both done, and it's not even the same chip anymore, really. For our digital group, we have to specify if upgraded chips are allowed or not. So far they're not allowed for competitive races. ;-)

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi
not sure now what was done to my chip as i installed into a pace car with a standard motor(scaley) as a way of testing and giving some feedback via the forum for Greg as he did it for free.

One thing that was instantly noticeable was the car's ability to reach it's fixed speed and actually driving the car it was a lot more responsive..

Would be a better option for us uk users if he could supply the chips as well with all the mods and firmware installed and make a saving on the postage..

·
Greg Gaub
14,639 Posts
Definitely give him a buzz. I know I sent him two duds for the one good one I got (also to help test and spread the word) and he said he was wanting to build up a stock of chips to mod so that he could send upgraded ones right away when he receives ones for upgrade. I know he CAN do the code update as well, but was working on a pin jig for the processor itself to speed things up. I think life was slowing that project down. In any case, he might be able to sell you upgraded chips direct. I simply don't know for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts