SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title speaks for itself really! But if it's not obvious, my question is: should we "out" the high magnetic down force motors in favour of "closed cans" for the second half of 2011?
My view is: we would see a lot more variety in terms of set-up, Sidewinders: remember those? and less emphasis would be put upon how close you can get your motor to the track.
This would come in from 1/7/2011 and those who do slot.it challenge proper would get some valuable set-up knowledge ahead of 2012!!

What do we think?

·
Lee Green
1,724 Posts
scaleauto yellow cans
i agree , its boring bs, but at the same time , a lot of people are spending a lot of time and effort on these cars, i think we should leave them untill a few more meetings have passed like September or something.

·
Registered
846 Posts
rather than getting people to change things why not get a mag marshall machine ?
impose a maximum mag level
I dont really understand what happened at the beginning of the year at the SIC... after all the SIC has been running this type of motor for years
and all of a sudden they dont want to any more ?
Whats the story Lee or Julian ?

G

·
Seems a good idea, and I like it. But the question is our club is on a high at the moment with new members learning the intricate ways to setup Molesey wooden track cars, which involves investment and a great deal of help from the top drivers, do you think it would put them off having to spend more money on motors, although only no more more than £10 (scaleauto) which is not a lot but its just the idea of more change....

My point is we need to give our members a early 'heads up' on what we are thinking about for the next half of the year so they don't go out and buy motors or (cars) that are not going to be used, example is "Mr M" is trying to get hold of an open can motor for his Porsche and can't get hold of one and has been searching for a while so informing him sooner than later would be a good thing.

We can discus this at or meeting Tuesday, funny thing is I have a yellow can sitting in a sidewinder pod that has been in my garage since the HRS days! ...and about 25 more closed cans ready to go, scaleauto red can was a beast, are we putting a limit on the closed cans?

Sits back with popcorn!

·
Dave Cummings
1,123 Posts
as i was doing scrutineering last night, i noticed quite a few cars are still running inline 21k's, so you may only be asking the guys who have bought a boxer etc to change.
Maybe put it to a vote over the next few weeks, keep a track to make sure all have voted and then go with that ?

As a step down from the huge red 35k, how about the black 29k ??

·
Dave Cummings
1,123 Posts
Your right Mark, people can currently run a Scaleauto 35k sidey, or the yellow/black long can angle winder, how close anyone would get to a mag motor'ed car however would be debateable.

Although saying that, the week after North Staffs I ran my Jag with a scaleauto 25k long can a/w at Molesey and was doing 7.5's every lap, last night I ran a boxer in a Jag and was doing 7.5's

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
I know I am new and my opinion won't count for much but I would prefer for rules to stay as they are as I have already invested way too much just to take part in one of the classes so spending extra cash (even though it might only be £10-£15) will be annoying. Please don't get me wrong, I am all OK with rules changing from time to time but surely you would expect for something to be agreed on and then new rules implemented further down the line? For example, agreeing on the new motor now but not implementing the change until next season?

Also, I am holding back from buying cars for other classes as it is unclear if they will be running for the remainder of the year or not - would be good to make a decision on this soon rather than later.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback gents.

First of all, as far as I'm aware we will be keeping the same four classes to the end of the year. Although traditionally we at least review these every six months and sometimes a new class may be introduced or one removed. But as I've said there wont be any new categories being introduced in 2011 so don't worry about your bank balances.

Now, there are some very good arguments for and against the use of mag motors. I don't see what the advantage of a mag marshall would be as that would only tell you whether there are any tampered with motors out there. There isn't anyone who is unusually quicker than the rest beyond what you'd expect, after you've factored in car prep ability and driver ability. So I think it would be a rather fruitless exercise.

I can understand the reluctance to spend more money on a class when especially in Zarko's case he's only used the car in anger once. I agree that as much notice as possible for rule changes would be preferable to last minute.com but there are still six weeks until the beginning of July!

My argument however is this: What is the point of spending £100+ setting up a slot.it challenge car with an open can Boxer or a flatsix R when you can get exactly the same driving experience and similar performance from a £35 Scalextric Nascar?
As I've said before, it doesn't matter how you dress it up slot.it challenge as it stands is a magnet class!

I think this is obviously a topic that needs careful consideration and should be discussed with everyone at the club before a decision is made.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry I'm going to rant!!

Do I detect boredom creeping in again.

One good reason why we are getting a constant turn out is that members came to the AGM and were involved in the democratic method of decision making on car classes and rules. This was a first!!

The consistency must be maintained else there is no point in having an agreement at such meetings.

I get a little p'ed with those who take it on board to change things just because they don't like certain bits of what was agreed by the members for the members.

It is very apparent that others within the club who may not be so vocal or are not so quick on the uptake are content with things as they are.

If the rules are to be changed then an open meeting for all members should be held with everyone having prior written notice of the rule change. A vote taken with an agreed date for implementation.

Perhaps if we want to go back to the constant changing of rules, we have a breakaway group that meet on a night just to race their bullet cars between themselves to what ever rules they want.

Rant over until Tuesday.

Neil...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feel free to rant as much as you like!!
I don't think I've said we're changing anything, I just asked for people's views which I think is always a valuable exercise.
However as we are now six weeks away from the end of the current calendar I thought it would be worth putting forward any views. Rather than leaving it until the eleventh hour. I don't think that's out of order. Of course everyone is entitled to have a say in what we run and how we run it. I actually wish that someone else would come to the table with some ideas from time to time instead of leaving it to me to come up with rules and classes.
Obviously if the general consensus is to leave things alone then that's fine by me, but it doesn't hurt to ask the question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.