SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Adam Woolhouse
28 Posts

CA18b - Ford GT40 n.8 Le Mans 1968

Official release date: April, the 13th

The Ford GT40 is one of the most famous cars in Le Mans history, having won the 24 Hours four times in a row. In 1966 it was with the Mk II version, in 1967 with the Mk IV, in 1968 and 1969 with the first one, Mk I.

The Mk I was a race car, but also a road car; the name "GT40" comes from the height from ground, which is 40 inches. This model had a second youth since 1968; a 3-liters limit was introduced for the displacement of prototypes, thus excluding the big units of Mk II and Mk IV.

The GT40 was engaged among the "Sport" cars, with a road homologation and a limit of 5 liters for displacement. The chassis was a steel semi - monocoque, the body was made of fiberglass. On the 1968 version, the rear wheels were enlarged to 14 inches. Engine was an atmospheric V8, with 4.7 liters displacement.

The Belgian Team Claude Dubois run the 1968 Le Mans 24 Hours with a Ford GT40 and the number 8; the chassis number was 1079; the owner was Jean Blaton "Beurlys", who was also one of the drivers, together with Willy Mairesse.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello Everyone

This looks cool... but why does Slot.it have such a hard time with their wheel inserts? The front inserts (particularly on the GT40 & MKII) are recessed deeper in the hub than the rear. The rear recessing is so shallow they look like hub caps.

If you look at photos of the actual GT40s & MKII, the rear rims were bigger and the rims recessed deeper. I know this has nothing to due with how it preforms, but it's one of those little details I wish they'd fix.

Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (mtalley @ 11 Apr 2012, 13:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Everyone

This looks cool... but why does Slot.it have such a hard time with their wheel inserts? The front inserts (particularly on the GT40 & MKII) are recessed deeper in the hub than the rear. The rear recessing is so shallow they look like hub caps.

If you look at photos of the actual GT40s & MKII, the rear rims were bigger and the rims recessed deeper. I know this has nothing to due with how it preforms, but it's one of those little details I wish they'd fix.

Mike

They use narrow hub wheels that require a hidden stub inside the wheel, this prevents them using a deep insert.

Racer get around this by using a long hub wheel but then have to oversize most of their bodies to get all to fit - and look at the flak they get!

It's a compromise you have to make between looks, scale and performance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Body fit doesn't look too good round the back end. I've heard these cars have very flexible bodies - are they easy to manipulate so there's no big panel gaps?

Love what Slot.it does, but I think that the twin aims of more modular bodies for more accurate variations, plus ever lighter weight to give some competition to NSR sometimes ends up with unintended results...

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE They use narrow hub wheels that require a hidden stub inside the wheel, this prevents them using a deep insert.

Okay... well why don't you used the same narrow hub on the fronts, so at least it looks correct?

Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Front hubs are plastic but the insert can be pushed out a little to match the rears. In practise there is very little difference between front and rear on the actual model.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The MKIV is a 'J' car and was called a GTP J car when it was created in 1965/66. When the 'J' car was found to be uncompeditive the team of Remington and others at Shelby put it into a wind tunnel and remodelled the bodyshape in to the MKIV. The MKIV's height is 38.5 inches. It not a GT40!!!!
Regards Allan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts