Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As im sure a lot of you are aware the slot it challenge is in its last year this year and some of us have been discussing what we could do to replace it. Between Graeme Thoburn and Julian Edwards mainly and a whole host of other people with their suggestions (thanks a lot) we have managed to come up with a series !

This race series is still for Slot.it 1/32 cars with the emphasis on 'standard' and therefore more cost effective cars with close racing. In the rounds of this event that have only so far been one offs, all have been great successes. We have seen very good close racing in all of the events throughout the field.

The events will be held at GT Raceway, Kilburn, Molesey, Hereford and Pendle with dates to be decided. Hosting clubs will hold the event over a weekend. It is the intention to race Slot It Classics on the Saturday afternoon after practice. The Group C's will race Sunday after practice and scrutineering. Finals will be held for both classes.

This format should suit racers wishing to avoid hotel costs etc

Racers will be asked to register and pay for 3 events (as per current rules) or enter as a guest for the day/s only but said racer will not be eligible for finals or the championship.

The championship will be scored on best 4 from 5.

Both classes will be "out of the box" with hand out (BRM F22) tyres.

Entry fees:

Saturday: practice only £3. Classic (including tyres and practice) £7

Sunday: Group C (including tyres) £10. Both classes £15.

Rules:
Cars will be presented for scrutineering with the bodyshell and rear tyres removed and once passed will be held in parc ferme for the duration of the event. Any work that needs to be carried out after this time must be done in parc ferme under the supervision of the scrutineer. Random scrutineering will take place throughout the event.

Lighter fluid, cloth,toothbrush,bearing/gear oil and tape will be provided in parc ferme for tyre/braid cleaning and lubrication. Only the items provided in parc ferme can be used.

One pair of marked control tyres will be handed out after the car has passed scrutineering and these must last the duration of the event. The control tyres for the series will be BRM 22 shore 19x10. Additional sets of tyres will be available for practise at cost.

Cars must start each race with all body elements present with the exception of mirrors, wipers and aerials. Matching wheel inserts must be present at all times.

Eligible cars

Porsche 956c/956kh, 962c/962kh, Jaguar XJR6/9/12, Sauber C9, Toyota 88c, Mazda 787b, Lancia LC2/LC285.

Any new group C models must be available from Pendle slot racing by no later than 1st Feb 2013 to be eligible for the 2013 series. Any models released after this date will not be eligible until the following year. This rule does not apply to 're-liveries', only completely new models.

Regulations for group C

Cars must remain STANDARD apart from the following allowable changes:

• Cars can be fitted with either of the following two combinations: 0mm offset mount with 15.8mm rear wheels or 0.5mm offset mount with 16.5mm rear wheels. These two configurations cannot be mixed and matched!

• Standard front axle adjustment blocks/inserts can be replaced with grub screws top & bottom.

• Front tyres can be replaced with zero grip rubber and can be glued & trued.

• Chassis's can be lightly trimmed around the edges to allow improved body freedom. It will be down to the scrutineers discretion as to whether the trimming is excessive, so please keep it sensible.

• All Body and Motor mount screws are free choice and can be run loose, however these must be properly secured so they don't drop onto the track.

• Overall rear axle width can be increased to a maximum of 65mm but wheels/tyres must not be visible when the car is viewed from above.

• Bodyshells can be painted, but 'clear coating' a plain plastic shell is not permitted.
The following components are deemed 'free choice' : Body/Mount screws, Front tyres, Braids and Motor wires.
Please note, the only motor allowed for this event is the Slot.it V12/3, 21,[email protected], Orange bellend, supplied as STANDARD in all new Slot.it group C's. It can only be fitted inline with the orange endbell rearmost, as per the STANDARD model.
Traction magnets must be removed.
Lighting systems are not permitted.
The scrutineers decision will be final and as always if it doesn't say you can do it, YOU CAN'T!

Regulations for Classics

Gearing must remain standard: 11 tooth pinion and 32 tooth spur. The spur gear can be either be solid or lightweight. Pinion must be Bronze, NOT Ergal(Aluminium).

The only motor allowed for this series is the Slot.it V12/3, 21,[email protected], Orange end bell, supplied as STANDARD in all new Slot.it Classic models. It can only be fitted in sidewinder configuration, as per the STANDARD model.

Traction magnets must be removed.
Lighting systems are not permitted.

Eligible cars:

Ferrari 312pb, Alfa Romeo T33/3, Ford GT40 and Chapparal 2E

Any new Classic models must be available from Pendle slot racing by no later than 1st Feb 2013 to be eligible for the 2013 series. Any models released after this date will not be eligible until the following year. This rule does not apply to 're-liveries', only completely new models.

Regulations:

Cars must remain STANDARD apart from the following allowable changes:

• Cars can be fitted with either a 0mm offset or 0.5mm offset motor mount

• Standard front axle adjustment blocks/inserts can be replaced with grub screws top & bottom.

• Front tyres can be replaced with zero grip rubber and can be glued & trued. They can also be glazed with nail varnish/glue etc.

• Chassis's can be lightly trimmed around the edges to allow improved body freedom. It will be down to the scrutineers discretion as to whether the trimming is excessive, so please keep it sensible.

• All Body and Motor mount screws are free choice and can be run loose, however these must be properly secured so they don't drop onto the track.

• Overall rear axle width can be increased to a maximum of 60mm but wheels/tyres must not be visible when the car is viewed from above.

• Bodyshells can be painted, but 'clear coating' a plain plastic shell is not permitted.

• Motor can be secured to the mount using screws or tape only.
The following components are deemed 'free choice' : Body/Mount screws, Front tyres, Braids and Motor wires.
The scrutineers decision will be final and as always if it doesn't say you can do it, YOU CAN'T!

Add your name to this list please:
Ian Newstead
Lee Green

I hope to have covered everything there , if you need anymore information
visit the site for the championship made by Phil Upton!

G

·
Can you ad me to the list please.

We have a website which will be updated as we run through the Championship

Slot.it Group C Challenge

I'm working on a shorter url, but for now as I pay for this url already this will have to do.

Hereford can I have so more info on your club please + pictures ta..

Phil

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everone,

I was just wondering what the reaction would be if it was suggested that motors as well as tyres were to be handed out on the day, they could be kept by the organisers for each respective round and each time put into a box, at the next round drivers would pick out a motor from the box at random, this would ensure that there could be no fiddling with them and no complaints like "his car is faster than mine" or "I wonder what he has done to it" ... It's just an idea that could work, I would love to find out what people think..... Obviously if there were any particularly 'dud' ones they would be pulled out of the event but I think that in general 'out of the box' they are pretty similar..... It would add the cost of one motor to everyones entry fee but if this is calculated over 5 rounds it is quite a small amount....

Let me know your opinion......

Nobby

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
As an outsider I can see no reference as to how the motor is held in the chassis/pod, (suppose they are screwed in), wouldnt pulling it out and putting it back in everytime cause problems, removing and replacing the motor screws can cause the thread to wear.
Zen

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it says on the rules, • Motor can be secured to the mount using screws or tape only... As a mechanic, I find that most mechanical components are held in by some type of screw, if they cause so many problems I would guess that someone would have come up with a better securing device than a screw, given the fact that screws have been used for hundreds of years in various guises my reckoning is that they work pretty well.... Of course if you use tape (the alternative option) I doubt if that would cause the thread to wear at all .......

Come on lads, it's only a suggestion, it just make things interesting and also it will stop some of us having to go through dozens of motors trying to find a good one.... If you look at it from that point of view it must work out cheaper too as I'm sure that there are many of us who spends a blooming fortune trying to find a "quick" motor, it also illiminates the need for all this "running in"..... I am sure that just about everyone has tried runing them backward, forwards, high speeds, low speeds, in water, oil, lighter fluid and who knows what other concoctions, I dread to think what may be slopping around in some of those cans.......

Let me hear from you, particularly the people that will be doing the series next year.....

Nobby

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way..... There are only 5 meets, I would hope that most screws and threads are up to being removed 5 times without wearing out..............

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi Nob,

Good to see a fresh approach for a national series, I'm hoping to compete this year.

As regards to supplied motors, if it was good enough for the old European Ninco GT then F1 series, then it should work well for this series.

I'm up for it.

Regards
Zak

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Nobby,

I might well consider a couple of rounds of this series at least

Do you have a maximum amount of people?
Would we have to register before hand?

I think that the idea of hand out motors is a very good idea for the very reasons you state.

Dave

G

·
QUOTE (Nobby @ 21 Sep 2012, 22:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi everone,

I was just wondering what the reaction would be if it was suggested that motors as well as tyres were to be handed out on the day, they could be kept by the organisers for each respective round and each time put into a box, at the next round drivers would pick out a motor from the box at random, this would ensure that there could be no fiddling with them and no complaints like "his car is faster than mine" or "I wonder what he has done to it" ... It's just an idea that could work, I would love to find out what people think..... Obviously if there were any particularly 'dud' ones they would be pulled out of the event but I think that in general 'out of the box' they are pretty similar..... It would add the cost of one motor to everyones entry fee but if this is calculated over 5 rounds it is quite a small amount....

Let me know your opinion......

Nobby

Not a fan of the idea Nobby, like the rules as they were. I've found the new motors seem to be more consistent.

·
fred
1,608 Posts
you could also take it a step further and hand out motor, pod, gear hub and tyre all in one unit, where will it end?

I also prefer things as they were and don't think the original format should be fiddled with at this stage, sure, think about things after the championship has ended but I would leave it as is for now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
From racing the classics at this years SIC I don't think there's a massive difference in the motors of competitors. I had 2 motors, one in my gt40 and one in my Alfa which were very even until one failed! So I would be annoyed to say the least if a hand out one failed. It's a rare occurrence to be fair but still.

If you feel you need more top end put the bigger wheels on.

It's a fair idea on paper but in practice maybe not as worth while.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting..... It seems that there may be something in this.... Let me start by saying...... It was just a suggestion, nothing more, just a simple suggestion, quite a good one though, even if I say so myself... And I'm really glad that it's got people talking....
So, here we go.... I think that pod, gear and hub may be going a little too far, as let's face it, the rules do state that they should be "standard" I doubt that handing them out would be beneficial or detremental to anyone... Also as I suggested, it would only be one motor per person for the 5 race series, it wouldn't add much cost, just the price of one motor each and that could be covered by adding about £2.00 to each race fee, or if we were really being outrageous, each driver could put a motor into the box and then we could all choose one each, that wouldn't add any cost at all......Mmmmm... I like that............
Right, motors, aha, now we're talking, yes those evil little things borne of the Devils seed, are, as we are all fully aware, a competely different "kettle of fish", I mean let's face it if anything is done to either the hubs, gear or pod it's not going to make a massive difference (I do expect a fully documented account with diagramatic proof, of how much difference the true running of the gear, pod and axle make, but in reality (as seen through my eyes
doesn't seem to make that much difference but go ahead anyway) plus it would be fairly obvious if holes were drilled in the hubs, or the pod was lowered or if the gear was.... errmmmm, I can't think of much that could be done to a standard gear (maybe running it with toothpaste, I recommend Colgate) to improve it, I mean blimey they are pretty good anyway... But on the other hand, let's get back to..... The motor, yes, that sinister son of Satan.... There are many, many, many things that can be done to that.... Even by someone as "untechy" (is that a word) as me..... First I could go out and buy (if my finances allowed it) loads, dozens even hundreds of motors to find, that "special" one, you know the one, that little baby that revs to a million rpm and has the pick up of Saturn 5 rocket... I could even go to the effort of running one in backwards, forwards and sideways for a fortnight in camomile lotion mixed with a touch af asses milk to try and gain an advantage.... I have even heard that there are some people around that can take the armatures out of one motor and replace it into another, ooooohhh, I have also heard that in the past it was fairly common place (even expected) to rewind motors, (oh hush my mouth) but it's true.... Even me, yes, myself in the past have polished and trued commutators just to get the darn things to go a bit faster..... Now I'm not suggesting for one minute that anyone doing this series would even contemplate doing any of these things but...... I do think that there are people around that might be thinking that there are some others that are more than capable of doing such things..... All I am suggesting is (and it is still just a suggestion) that it would eliminate this thought process and possibly 'even things up' a little .....
Finally...... It's not my intention of damaging the series, nor do I want to upset anyone, I am just suggesting something, and trying to make it a little light hearted, to me slot cars are a brilliant and enjoyable part of my life and something that "these days" I don't get particularly stressed about, (yes, I know, but the past is the past) I am just playing Devils advocate and trying to bring this fantastic hobby to peoples attention, please don't get too upset with me, just enjoy your slots and keep on racing.....

Nobby

Ps, I love you all.......

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
The rules have been decided based on previous very close rounds which is why the series has been chosen to be made into what it is...

The rules will not be changed for next year, the rules will be with your own motors.

The rules will be reviewed at the end of the year.

These rules will allow for close and competitive racing all through the pack.

The days are gone where people true down comms to make cars ridiculously quick.

I find these motors are all relatively close together , other factors like tyre size/wear and how you keep your back end in track make the biggest difference.

I dont think anyone goes and buys loads of motors.

The rules are what they are and thats it ... come along to the taster event at graemes give it a go and enjoy.

Next year will mark a new era in slot car championships in the uk. With the defunct Slot.it Challenge leaving way for this more affordable venture i know it can be a massive success..

Look at the classics in the sic , yes i know not the best attended round but im sure all will agree that it has had some great close racing.

Roll on March . add your names to the attendance list please so we know.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe the classics were not well attended because the motors are too far apart..... Ha!!! Didn't think of that, did you Lee.......

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any ideas bought to the table in a constructive manner I am sure are always appreciated by the organisers. Arguments for and against this idea have been presented and debated. This could rumble on and turn into a mass debate. However I think it boils down to the rules for the series has been announced, trying to give people as much notice as possible.

The running in of motors and the amount of benefit gained differ from who you ask. Some think it makes no difference, others some difference. For the record I run my motors in on a drill with no current going through the motor. Which way round I don't know because my drill is broken and only goes one way.

The classics have been poorly attended, with around 18 entrants on average, due to the attendancd at the SIC as a whole declining, and most of the wolves contingent not racing them for whatever reason.

Nobody is accusing you of trying to ruin it and we are all friends here, however we should bring the thread back on topic, it's prospectively a great series on some great tracks on an even playing field. So people, get your entries in!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back onto topic is good......

So, let's find out who wants to join in......

So far we have

1. Jack
2. Graeme
3. Lee
4. Julian
5. Phil
6. Nobby
7. Dave
8. Zak
9. Paul
10. Fishy
11. Michael