SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some help please gentlemen.

I have a Slot.It wheel with a knackered grubscrew. The allen key slot is rounded off and useless, probably due to overexuberent tightening on my part. The thread is probably OK but I can't get think of an easy way to unscrew it.

Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the attached tyre and axle?

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
These silly little things strip too easily and so go the tiny allen keys. Flip knows how they became popular.

Grind or file down the end of your allen key so it has a sharp and clean head to engage in your junk grub. Glue with a tiny drop of CA glue on the tip of your allen, but get NONE on the thread of the shaft. Leave for 20 minutes. Try. You could put a tiny line of WD40 around the axle/hub connection for 10 minutes to maybe loosen the grub's grip, but do not put this into the hub's thread/grub head or the glue will be made useless.

If that fails, drill it out and refit the hub using epoxy resin. To remove simply place hub it a cup of boiled hot water to melt the glue. It gives a much better and more reliable seal than a silly little grub screw on one side of the hub/axle.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
you need a flat blade screwdriver out of one of the assorted small ones from the pound shop. pick one that is just to big to go in the mangled hole, then support under the boss and hammer the blade in, mole grips on the blade and you should be able to unwind it, without any damage to the thread or wheel. or if you own some screw extractors dead easy. i will say buy good grubscrews and allen keys , like unbrako ect. you,l know if there good and hard, because the hacksaw screams if you shorten them, i,ve had grubscrews and allen keys that cut like butter-beware. john.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
if its a slot it axel take everthing off from the other end then place the end with no wheel on in the vice and tighten as tight as u can ,then grip the wheel and if it turns at all on the axel keep unsrewing till it comes off the axel then ur grub srew will be loose in the wheel uwont damage the axel as its hardend steel chers

·
Phil Clayton
885 Posts
When that happens to me I always end up using a pair of needle-nose pliers to grip the tiny bit of grub screw that peeks out and slowly wind the grub screw out.

·
Eddie Grice
2,307 Posts
Suggest if you try the above (post #4) to protect the axle with some emery cloth or similar.
The axle may be hardened but decent vice jaws could mark it up sufficient to ruin your bearings on reassembly.
Eddie

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

Do exactly what screwneck says, but first use a fine needle or pin to ensure there is no detritus in the screw preventing full penetration.

You might be lucky, and not need the super-glue !!.

And stoner is correct good quality hex keys do not round off. Try NSR replacable tip wrench.

vbr Chris A.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (CJA @ 31 Jan 2012, 16:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And stoner is correct good quality hex keys do not round off. Try NSR replacable tip wrench.
vbr Chris A.

NSR replacable tip wrench is what I use - so much for that theory then!

Apart from which, thanks for the replies gentlemen. I will give it a go and report back.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i bet the nsr hex tip isn,t rounded off, sounds as though you,ve got soft=cheap grubscrews. get good quality named grubscrews, and you wont have any more problems. john.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts