SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mark Wain
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone chipped a Slot it GT40 with thier SSD chip?

The box states the it can be converted with the Slot it chip, but it doesn't seem to fit? (fits fine in Nissan,Porsche etc)

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Strange, I would have thought all Slot.it cars were designed to fit Slot.it chip
My guess is that GT40 comes with 20k+ motor and in that case installing SSD chip would not be advisable as Scaley do state that their digital chips should not be used with high rev motors as they simply can't handle them and will blow after a while.

·
Greg Gaub
15,388 Posts
No, there are several Slot.it cars where the chassis is not big enough for their SSD chip. Ferrari F40, all the classics, and probably one or two others, are this way. They're supposed to come out with a smaller chip, the SISP15, but that has not surfaced yet. The SISP12 is the one we are all familiar with, which is a nice drop-in install on their other cars, but too big to fit in the classics. They recommend using a Scalextric F1 chip for those cars, but warn that it's best to go magless due to the motor being higher power than most Scalextric motors. It won't "fit" nicely into the car, but should work as well as any other chip install where the chip has no special place to be, and just hold it down using hot glue or blue tack or something non-permanent.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
You can probably chip it using sisp12 but the chip will need to be secured using hot glue or some blue tack.

·
Greg Gaub
15,388 Posts
I'll take a close look at mine real quick, just to check...
Yes, the box does say SISP12, but it's clearly too small for that chip. I'm guessing it was an oversight, and should have said SISP15 instead.
Although you might be able to use the 12, it wouldn't be flat on the chassis, and therefore you'd need to put the LED on a lead wire, or include a spare soldered in parallel to the one on the board or something. Still cheaper and easier to use a Scaley F1 chip and pull the magnet just to be safe. They're GREAT magless runners, by the way. The stock tires have great grip on sport track and true nicely as well. A little pod and body loosening for better performance, and you're done. GREAT cars.

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 9 Aug 2011, 15:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They're GREAT magless runners, by the way. The stock tires have great grip on sport track and true nicely as well. A little pod and body loosening for better performance, and you're done. GREAT cars.

Do you treat the stock tires with anything or just "as is"?

·
Greg Gaub
15,388 Posts
As Is. Their new compound is great, and doesn't need anything for good grip on Sport track. Keeping them clean helps, as it does with any tires, but it's as important as for silicone or something slick and sticky like that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
On slot.it we wrre running a new 962 on just digital not SSD, and although I have read less than complementary notes, mine ran better with the magnetic suspension (no mag), it hgave a bout 0,4 sec on a 5,7 sec lap. PS Mr Flippant which slot. it tyre compond do you use? We were running P6 on scaley sport which they recommended.

·
Greg Gaub
15,388 Posts
P6 are ok, but I've found that they really need to be kept clean. They are as bad about that as silicone on my track. The new "C" compound, on the other hand, can run for hours on my track with great grip. Another good choice are the F22 tires.
I don't think any of them are BAD, per se, for sport track. It's just that I prefer the newest compound the best. I wish the analog guys I run with would try a series with the new compound rather than their old standbys of F22 and P6. Seems that's all they bother running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts