SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know this is probably a simple question... but I will ask anyway. I know Slot.it makes a SSD chip specifically for their cars, but when I look at the cars I have, it seems their guides are a bit deeper than my standard Scaley Sport guides. Has anyone had trouble with them banging the LC sensors? I would assume the clearance is there, but interested in your real world experience. Any issue with inclines/declines?

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
I've lost one sensor due to a slot.it guide, and that was the Pit Lane Game. After shimming the replacement sensor down, it's never been a problem.
I did notice that the APB sensors are pretty near flush, and a deep guide with a sharp edge might take them off.
Just to be safe, I'd suggest taking a file to the leading bottom edge and give it a taper so that if there is a sensor that's too high, the guide will skip over it rather than tear it off.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I suspected... Now the decision. Modify the guides, sell them or or shelf queen them. Will take some thought.
Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
Mod the guides, dude. Those cars need to be run! Besides, guides are cheap and easy to replace if you ever felt the need to sell or return the car to original condition anyway.
Also, go magless. Crashes will be way less damaging.

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
1mm should be plenty, if even. The chamfer alone is probably enough, just take that sharp 90 degree corner off the front and give it a little bit of a "ramp" and it should be fine. A lot of replacement slot.it guides actually come like that, so if you didn't want to mod at all, you could buy the replacements and install them, saving the stock guides for running on analog track, or if/when you shelf or sell them on.

·
Registered
985 Posts
DON'T SELL - The best thing we ever did was go to Slot.it. I'm a rug racer so the Scaley track may not be perfect. To save money because the track is small. I downgraded the motor to a std scaley motor and fitted a standard scaley chip and went magless. Plus too much power on a small track is not fun. I also fitted the mag suspension. The result is awsome. Its a car that unlike scaley ones, which would come off for no obvious reason, stays firmly on the track untill the driver gets it wrong. They are a dream car. For raceing I would not want to go back to scaley. PS you will want better tyres, we use P6's with no oiling. They give very consistant performance and are not unreasonably sensitive to dust etc. And yes I cut down the blades to the same height as the scaley ones. You will drive so much with digital that you will wear out guides.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - I will try the trimming and in fact have a spare motor I can put into one so I can try UshCha's technique. I don't have many, but I do like the ones I have and selling them would be tough. Although I am a little worried at the light weight plastic and the tendency for digital contact. I like to keep my cars looking pristine - even when raced with spirit!

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
Then race magless with power/voltage down.
DRAWW raced slot.it Group C not long ago, and damage was very minimal. No more than was typical for analog racing (which I had used the same car for not long prior to the digital racing). Like you said, spirited racing, so the loss of an antenna, mirror, or spoiler is not unheard of, but at LOT less common than when running them with magnets in at full power. To reduce accidents even more, turn OFF brakes. A lot of damage in digital is caused by rear-ending. While it still happens with no brakes, it's not like hitting a brick wall. Running with no brakes also causes the drivers to give more space to the car in front.

Running with no brakes became a necessity for us because we all have PB-Pro bases in our tracks, and track calling does not intiate brakes like it can with the APB. To avoid crashes of speeding cars when a track call happens (which we treated as a crash, because there was no easy way to know if it was caused by lack of brakes or bad driving), we turned off brakes for the whole time. Thus, when we get a track call (and hence no brakes), we're already driving appropriately.
Of course, the nifty byproduct that crashes are less damaging is nice, too.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
@ Rakete

The slot.it CH17 guide already has this chamfer profile, however the height of all slot.it "plastic track" guides is such they are good for the Carrera track (with its deeper slot) but may need trimming to keep clear of the slot bottom for other tracks like Ninco, Scx and Scaley. Specially if you run tiny front wheels and/or a set-up with the car fully planted on the guide.

with kind regards
Tamar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts