SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (Mecoprop @ 6 Apr 2004, 15:42)Subsidiary question - hope you don't mind, Driver3.

How are the variations of these motors identified in the metal?
That is, are their cases clearly marked as to which version they are?

The 23K version has a black can, 29K is gold and 25K is supposed to be silver.

Actually, my Slot.it Porsche 956 come equipped with the 25K motor, but the can looks gold, as the 29K, not silver...
I can't say if it is a problem of the one I have or if they use a weird silver paint.

Back to the original question, the V12/2 23K is used in the italian GT Light championship, (the black paint is a feature: you can see if the motor has been opened
); I'm not crazy about it - I prefere very fast motors like the 35K red Scaleauto - but I admit it is a good motor, with good brake and lot of torque, you may easily use gear ratios longer than 3 to 1.
At our club - it is a quite fast Ninco track - we use 10:26/27 or 9:24.

Ciao
Otello

·
Registered
308 Posts
The latest 2b versions of the Slot.it v12 are all silver so the only way to tell the difference between 25k, 26k and 29k is to check the windings or measure the revs on a test bench.
Havent got the part nos to hand, will post them later.

Roly

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
I use this motor for the majority of my Scratchbuilds. On a home circuit they are superb, with adequate power, (Non Magnet of course).
On a Club Circuit I think the 29K is a better proposition.

If you must use magnets then the 35K is the one to go for.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
265 Posts
In most of my rtr cars I replace with v-12's in 25,000. Most torque of the three and all have been very consistent. They are noticeably faster and easily geared for specific tracks. They also don't get quite as hot as quickly as do the Mabuchis they replaced. For the money they are excellent. If your straight sections are 14 feet or less, you won't be able to wind out the 29,000rpm motor and so not be able to use "all the motor" without greatly shortening the gearing to find the more narrow power band. The 25,000 rpm motor is over 100 gm/cm, while the other two are below. Torque is the force that moves you down the track and having more of it over a wider range allows more gearing options to optimize your setup while retaining good "off the line" performance. I highly recommend these motors and have yet to be disappointed. The "b" in the designation denotes "balanced armature" and enhances the smooth response these motors have, as well as motor life. Did I mention I like these motors?

Rumor has it the the fly evo2 motor has the best power band of all, and turns 23,000 rpm (hearsay at the shop).

Here's to nothing but fun,
cheers!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Slot.it question:

I'm about to replace some motors in my Scaley TransAms and I've decided the Slot.it motors would be worth a try. I've also decided to retain the standard gearing (11/36).....for now anyway.

Can anyone tell me what pinion gear is shipped with the SIMF04 motor?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
My favorite motor,know it well. They come with an 11 tooth pinion. If your straights are under 12 feet, the 10 tooth will let you rev higher.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Harry!. Just what I needed to know.

Cheers

Steve

Post script:

Slot spares aren't the easiest things to get here in Australia and usually I have to buy mail order for anything oustide of basic Scaley or SCX parts. I got lucky today and found a shop that not only were a slot.it agent but actually had spares in stock. I purchased two SIMF04's (V12/2b) to run in my Scaley TransAms. Got a pair of 10t pinions and a 36t contrate while I was at it.

There seems to be a longer that necessary shaft at the can end as well as a fair bit of overhang at the bell end where the pinion gear is.

Do you recommend trimming the shaft or just leave it as is?

The shop also had a Scalex German limited edition GT40 on the shelf
I bought that too!

What a day!

Steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
Steve says " bye bye , money!!"

If the long motor shafts are in the way, then yes trim them. I trim the can-end in my TVRs to clear the interior, for instance. Otherwise I leave them in case of a battle emergency.

Smelling the silicone burn in Livonia

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the info Harry, much appreciated.

As for bye bye money, I did spend way more than I intended, but you only live once eh!

Cheers
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts