SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Slot-it Porsche 956. Nice car but won't make it more than a few turns on my Revell track. Not enough magnetic downforce. Not even close.

Has anyone modified these cars to get them to stick better?

Rev

·
Matt Tucker
3,561 Posts
First of all make sure the tyres are clean.

If you want more magnetic downforce slot-it have provided a ready made answer although just gluing more magnets to the chassis is the cheapest way.

The slot-it ready mde answer is this. Get yourself the reverse motor mount which places the motor a bit further from the rear axle. The motor rotates thru 180 and the pinion needs to be swapped to the other end of the motor shaft. This motor mount allows you to place a magnet between motor and rear axle (best place) as well as the potential to add another magent in front of the motor.

That should provide plenty of downforce even for the most die hard magnet freaks.

However my advice - take the magnet out and hone your driving skills.

Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just added some small magnet chunks to the stock mag . I put some slotit silicones on back and added a bit of weight by the guide. I run on Scalex classic, and these mods took a full second off my time. I did the reverse mount to my Audis, I don't think the porsche needs it.
Best

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Rev

I modified my 956 chassis to a sidewinder, using the SICH09 HRS magnetic suspension kit and piled on three Slot.it SICN03 C-shaped magnets, plus a button magnet just behind the guide. Slot.it also has a stronger H-shaped magnet, part number SICN04, if you prefer. You could also use the SICHO3 standard HRS sidewinder pod.

I had to use larger diameter wheels and tyres for the SICH09/03 sidewinder pod, but Slot.it has produced a new sidewinder motor pod for the 956/962 chassis, made to be used with the small diameter wheels used on the Porsche. I'm not sure when this will be available, though.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi RacerXtreme
Jimmy in Greece's excellent tuning guide is a great guide to tuning cars and fixing handling problems, not always using magnets to achieve this.
I'd recommend that you start by determining why your 956 is deslotting and Jimmy's "Deslotting-How does the car come of the track?" section will really help.

Why bother doing all this? Adding more magnets is much easier, after all.

Magnets trade-off straight-line speed for downforce. So Russell's car will corner faster but be slower in a straight line than a box-stock 956, all other factors equal. Your track may be quite diferent to Russell's and adding 3 magnets may make your car slower, albeit faster in turns. You may find that the best 956 for your track is a combination of an extra magnet plus some of Jimmy's tuning tips.

Lastly, some 956's front axles are very tightly held in place, pushed up in their bearing by little posts on the chassis. Make sure the axle is free to turn.

Edit: I found an updated version of Jimmy's guide at Harry's HRW site here

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is great, it's like a gold mine of info for the car that is currently troubling me most, the 956. I have guests but when they leave I will sit down and disect the info above and add some of my own findings.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Okay, I haven't had time to read Jimmy's tuning tips but I will soon.

Here's my findings on the 956.
Overall I would have to say that I'm disappointed with the performance of the car. The quality and finish is good. The level of componentry is high, we all expected that.
To give an example of the performance on our track which is 56' fourlane scalex classic. Al cars are stock.

Scaley Camaro - 4.0 secs
Scaley Stang - 3.8 secs
Lola B98 - 3.7
L88 Vette - 4.25
Slot IT 956 - 5.25 - this is really pushing to.

The 956 seems to lack in lateral grip or downforce when cornering causing it to spin very easily. Even after learning to drive the car better through the corners it just doesn't seem to have alot of go or power. Scaley cars just make it look silly.

I've pulled the car apart to find alot of metal filings through out the back of the car, it was alittle noisy so this in no doubt why. It would seem the pinion shaft of the motor has been rubbing on the alloy housing of the crown gear hence slightly grooving the shaft like a mini lathe. Once I find an allen key small enough I will adjust the rear axle and hopefull rectify this movemnet allowing this to happen.

I have a few theories on how to better this car which I will share soon. Looking forward to some feedback.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok, allen key acquired I have now put the car back together. I've realigned the crown gear and lubricated the axle and bearings. I've also sanded down the guide to hopefully improve the running.
Thursday night is race night so I'll report back there after.
I think I may invest in either the sidewinder or reverse motor mount to increase the options for placing the magnet.
I believe this will improve lateral/cornering grip and drop lap times considerably. Some P2 tyres will also get a whirl.

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (slowhand @ 4 Jan 2004, 07:17 AM)I just added some small magnet chunks to the stock mag . I put some slotit silicones on back and added a bit of weight by the guide. I run on Scalex classic, and these mods took a full second off my time. I did the reverse mount to my Audis, I don't think the porsche needs it.
Best
I can't seem to locate the part number or a picture for the reverse mount, can someone help me out on this?

Okay, answered my own question, Google is my friend!

versus.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It seems by my solo contributuion yo yhis topic that you gyys are fully over this car!! Anyways, I'm happy to report the following.

Last week my Kenwood 956 made me
, this week I am totally
. Along with the small tuning that I did during the past week I sanded the tyres when I got to te track. The car ran very smooth and quiet and was immediately faster. I did several practice laps before letting a friend have a 'go', he's now commited to one too. I parked the car until our first race.

During the first race of our four race championship for the night the car became very noisy. Quick inspection between races confirmed my suspicions that the motor shaft was 'grinding' away the crown wheel housing again. I lubricated this area (self centreing axle)and entered the second race. Much better.
Due to some re wiring we had to do on the track to accommadate the use of some new PM contollers (awesome) we all raced without brakes.
I came third for the night out of 11 racers and clocked the second fastest time by a fraction to a scaley GT40, damn those things are fast!

Last week with brakes I ran a fastest lap of,

5.266 secs

This week, fastest lap was ( no brakes),

4.433 seconds!!

What a MASSIVE difference, I find it hard to believe but what an AWESOME car!

Another factor would also be the introduction of the PM controller this week.

I'm still going to order in the reverse mount and some P2 tyres just to see where I can get this car too.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Slightly OT here, but I hope Turismo won't mind

It's like we're living in two different worlds : in Italy and Spain, nobody would dream of considering the Scaley GT 40 a serious contender - in fact, in Italy it's just been accepted to run in the Fly Classic category, but it's shrugged off

Of course we're talking non magnetic, and GT/LMP races are a monopoly of Slot.it Audis, Fly Porsches - with the odd Proslot Toyota and Ferrari 355

A stock Audi, just reverse mount / 29k did win the Spanish Championship for magnetic, but nobody really took notice

Beppe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Xlot,

I see your point, it's weird but true. The GT40 is an awesome car, the one that came second in our comp last night wasn't even a sport model and was completely stock except for a lightened window replacement. The original was melted because the guy who owns it left it in his car.
The car that came first was a stock Fly 911 GT1.
Interesting that the scaley GT40 has been excepted in to 'classic' racing in non magnet form. In stock magnet form they kill any stock fly classic car.

Later in the evening I did some hot laps with my GT40 and I also matched the times of the other. I have the Gulf #9 sport car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts