SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The end is in sight for collecting and/or decorating Slot.It Porsche 956/962s. A couple of additions finished off this weekend...

First up is 962-154, memorably driven to third overall by David Sears/Tiff Needell/Anthony Reid at Le Mans in 1990. Alpha Racing Team was a Japanese outfit but its engineers were from IMSA and the Brun privateer team and they had the foresight to bring both high downforce and low downforce aero packages with them for the debut of the newly-chicaned Le Mans. High downforce was decided upon but the car ran in practice with a low downforce body, which is what I've done. I added in Anthony Reid as the driver, as I've already got other BTCC stars of the future in other cars in the collection.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Next up I did a quick blitz on SICA03M, the most recent 1988 works paint scheme that Slot.It has released, turning the no.18 into the no.17. This one was of course released early on in the Slot.It 962 series (SICA03D) but I wanted a matching set and the latest cars look much better.

962-010 was, without doubt, the last word in works Group C Porsches. Although the Slot.It model doesn't have quite the correct body detailing and exhaust location, it's still a little cracker - replacement decals from Le Mans Decals and Stuck's helmet/overalls by me...
Tire Car Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

All of which means the shelves are practically full. I've got a dozen or so to finish off, and I've got the parts to build the 956 high downforce car to fill the gap on the second shelf... that will be Keke Rosberg's Norisring 1984 car. If push comes to shove I'll probably evict the Kremer K8 in order to put the new 'high tail' 962 in on the bottom shelf, but the odyssey that began in 2007 is definitely coming to a close...

Shoe Shelf Furniture Shelving Retail

Top shelf is 1982-83
Second Shelf is 1984-85
Third shelf is 1985-86
Fourth shelf is 1986-87
Fifth shelf is 1987-89
Bottom shelf is 1989-96

32 white kits, 5 modified RTR, 21 standard RTR and 2 non-Slot.Its at the end (LMM Dauer and Avant Kremer).

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have around 25 rtr and one white kit. Until now i thought i had heaps of them, Clearly i was mistaken. Great choice of car to go all out on, love your work :)
Coincidently my first Slot.it purchase was the #17 962, purchased shortly after being hosed by a 956 and then being offered a drive. For the time slot.it were amazing club cars, at my club only Proslot and highly modified stuff could keep up.
That's heading towards 20 years ago and there's still a zillion liveries still to release!

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are lovely things, sort of moved the hobby on quite a way. The 1/32 Group C revival started with them and is still going strong! I race the 1987 PDK 962KH in our club's Slot.It Group C class, it's the 'European Championship' kit with the anglewinder Flat-6, suspension and lightweight parts and it takes quite a bit of beating... provided that you don't beat the life out of the tyres too quickly.

As 1:1 cars I loved them as a kid - you used to get two 1000km races a season over here, Silverstone just before Le Mans and then Brands (later Donington) at the end of the summer, and we'd go to all of them. I was rather more taken with Giampiero Moretti's 935 Moby Dick at the momentous debut of the 956 at Silverstone in 1982, and my Dad was a Lancia enthusiast, but the 956/962 was the star of so many grand days out... and then I was lucky enough to be asked to write the Haynes Manual on them a few years back, and had a year of completely geeking out.

At the time of writing it, all three of the 1988 works 962s were owned by Henry Pearman, who showed me around his collection. Since then he's definitely sold one, if not two... and the Andretti/Andretti/Andretti car, chassis 008, has recently been restored to 1987 'sprint' specification in Rothmans colours. He won't sell 010, though. That was built new from the ground up for Le Mans in 1988 with all the bells and whistles and as much weight saving as possible - a totally unique car that so nearly beat the Jags!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Great collection and builds.

The 962 is my favourite car ever since I saw my first IMSA race back in 1987 at Watkins Glen.

My Slot.it Porsche white kit builds...

1. Brun Porsche 962 (chassis #001BM) – Super Cup Norisring 1987 W. Brun. Pattos decals with additional homemade “MICHELIN” decals added. Should have been a high tail version?
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Toy

2. Joest Porsche 956K (chassis #117) – Interseries Hockenheim 1985 J. Mass. Homemade decals, light kit.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive design

3. Joest Porsche 962C (chassis #011) – Watkins Glen 1991 J. Winter, B Schneider. Homemade decals, 3D printed body parts.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

4. Busby/BF Goodrich(?) Porsche 962C IMSA (chassis #105) Watkins Glen 1985 P. Halsmer, J. Morton. IndyCals decals, homemade light kit.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Peter

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
I added in Anthony Reid as the driver...
Ha! I'm doing a shift at the village community shop. I like to sit on a stool in the doorway when it's hot (keeps those customer types from bunging the place up) and I was about to type, 'That Anthony Reid is a regular' (I step aside to let him in, obvs) when who should drive by with his GRDC badges on the grill but that Anthony Reid, 3rd place, Le Mans 1990, I believe. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, nice collection.
Thank you!

My Slot.it Porsche white kit builds...

1. Brun Porsche 962 (chassis #001BM) – Super Cup Norisring 1987 W. Brun. Pattos decals with additional homemade “MICHELIN” decals added. Should have been a high tail version?

2. Joest Porsche 956K (chassis #117) – Interseries Hockenheim 1985 J. Mass. Homemade decals, light kit.

3. Joest Porsche 962C (chassis #011) – Watkins Glen 1991 J. Winter, B Schneider. Homemade decals, 3D printed body parts.

4. Busby/BF Goodrich(?) Porsche 962C IMSA (chassis #105) Watkins Glen 1985 P. Halsmer, J. Morton. IndyCals decals, homemade light kit.
They all put a lot of mine to shame! Yes, a long tail would be a bit of a wild card at the Zeppelinfeld but when it's all yellow and pretty who cares?!? Long tail 956s were seen outside Le Mans - especially the early customer deliveries before they realised that the high downforce body would cost another £10k - but 962s notsomuch.

I'm so anal about these things that I've recreated two liveries that Maurizio released using SICA03 - they're just better suited to the earlier shape, later release SICA34 (the 1986 Le Mans winner and the Brun Fortuna car from the same race). It's beyond sad, heading swiftly for tragic... but there we go!

Always makes me chuckle when journalists are allowed to drive the 1987 Le Mans winner and they often say that it's 'exactly as it crossed the line to take Porsche's last Group C Le Mans win'. Parts of it are for sure, but that's a 1988 deck lid and a high downforce nose section it's wearing, together with post-1990 BBS wheels every time!

Rather in love with your other builds, though. I think I've done the same Busby car from the same race but not half as crisply and the 3DP is sublime on that last one.

Ha! I'm doing a shift at the village community shop. I like to sit on a stool in the doorway when it's hot (keeps those customer types from bunging the place up) and I was about to type, 'That Anthony Reid is a regular' (I step aside to let him in, obvs) when who should drive by with his GRDC badges on the grill but that Anthony Reid, 3rd place, Le Mans 1990, I believe. 🤷‍♂️
Anthony's a good egg, he used to instruct at Jim Russell with my dad. Mad as a bag of sparrows, of course... his Instagram is a work of genius because it's all pictures of people's groins or the top of their heads because he never jiggles the photo round to crop it properly. Does he come in wearing his stripey blazer and Panama hat?

·
Registered
271 Posts
The end is in sight for collecting and/or decorating Slot.It Porsche 956/962s. A couple of additions finished off this weekend...

First up is 962-154, memorably driven to third overall by David Sears/Tiff Needell/Anthony Reid at Le Mans in 1990. Alpha Racing Team was a Japanese outfit but its engineers were from IMSA and the Brun privateer team and they had the foresight to bring both high downforce and low downforce aero packages with them for the debut of the newly-chicaned Le Mans. High downforce was decided upon but the car ran in practice with a low downforce body, which is what I've done. I added in Anthony Reid as the driver, as I've already got other BTCC stars of the future in other cars in the collection.

View attachment 314264

Next up I did a quick blitz on SICA03M, the most recent 1988 works paint scheme that Slot.It has released, turning the no.18 into the no.17. This one was of course released early on in the Slot.It 962 series (SICA03D) but I wanted a matching set and the latest cars look much better.

962-010 was, without doubt, the last word in works Group C Porsches. Although the Slot.It model doesn't have quite the correct body detailing and exhaust location, it's still a little cracker - replacement decals from Le Mans Decals and Stuck's helmet/overalls by me...
View attachment 314265

All of which means the shelves are practically full. I've got a dozen or so to finish off, and I've got the parts to build the 956 high downforce car to fill the gap on the second shelf... that will be Keke Rosberg's Norisring 1984 car. If push comes to shove I'll probably evict the Kremer K8 in order to put the new 'high tail' 962 in on the bottom shelf, but the odyssey that began in 2007 is definitely coming to a close...

View attachment 314266

Top shelf is 1982-83
Second Shelf is 1984-85
Third shelf is 1985-86
Fourth shelf is 1986-87
Fifth shelf is 1987-89
Bottom shelf is 1989-96

32 white kits, 5 modified RTR, 21 standard RTR and 2 non-Slot.Its at the end (LMM Dauer and Avant Kremer).
If given a choice of only 5 of them from your collection, which 5 would you choose and why?

(A nice collection btw)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
One I keep meaning to do but still haven't gotten around to, is the Rothmans Canada sponsored car, I've got a Minichamps 1/43 of this.
Love the Gaggia Torno car with the Italian stripes, the Lui car in peppermint, difficult choices, fabulous cars, Remember seeing Jackie on his 956 economy cruise at Silverstone back in the day, those little Lancia Barchettas just walked away, but it wasn't long until the 956/962 became the class of the field.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If given a choice of only 5 of them from your collection, which 5 would you choose and why?

(A nice collection btw)
Thank you! I think these ones...

Wheel Car Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Front row:
962-167, 1991 Fuji 1000km. Will Hoy driving it, who was a gentleman and a racer and a mate. DMC decals on SICA17z.
962-111, 1985 Suzuka 1000km. Kunimitsu Takahashi, motorcycle legend and 'father of drifting' at the wheel. An iconic livery that came out pretty well, one of the most successful cars of its kind and the first real car I got to look at for the 956/962 book. Patto's decals on SICA17z.

Middle:
956-003, 1983 Le Mans winner, Al Holbert driving. My first attempt at a 'race finish' look. Replacement door, race muck and an underrated driver. Wanted to put Schuppan in it, as without him a lot of races would not have been won and also many 956/962s would have been lost forever, had he not realised that they were worth saving. But given the last lap drama that Holbert nursed the car through, I've put Vern in the 1988 no.18 instead! Le Mans Decals on SICA02z.

Back row:
956B-114, 1986 Norisring. Derek Bell driving. This is the car that won Derek the 1986 World championship... Porsche wanted Stuck to win the title and didn't invite Derek to the party at the Hitlerdrome. John Fitzpatrick offered his old car for free (but kept the appearance money!) and although the 956 was off the pace, when Stuck's fabulous lightweight black 962 went lame it would prove to be decisive. MTR32 decals on SICA09z.

956-007, 1985 Miami Grand Prix. "Danny Tepper" driving. The cast and crew of Miami Vice filmed an episode around the 1985 Miami Grand Prix IMSA race (season 2: Florence, Italy), in which none other than Danny Sullivan plays a murder suspect, Danny Tepper, who is a racer competing in the no.14 Löwenbräu Porsche (with Messrs Bell and Holbert as extras!). Fast-forward 25 years and a museum in North Carolina seeks to sell an old IMSA Porsche 962 show car. An expert in the UK spots that it is in fact a 956, and that it has the four tyre pressure warning lights only fitted to the works cars. With all other works 956s accounted for, only one fits the bill - the mythical 956-007, in which Stefan Bellof set the all-time record at the Nürburgring. This was presumed scrapped after he wrote it off in the race but, in fact, the tub sat in the back of the workshop until late 1984, when Holbert requested a show car for his sponsors to use. Porsche didn't make show cars, but they welded the wreck back together and put an IMSA tail on it, sending it to the US where its first job was to be a film prop for Miami Vice. The UK expert bought the car (for the price of a damaged show car!), and the surviving team members verified that this was indeed Bellof's chariot. The car was restored over five years to 1983 spec, including an ex-Skoal 1983 tail section and works windows, and it is now probably the most valuable Group C car of them all. I've cut and shut a 956 front end with a 962 rear, need to do the same to the chassis and then need to make the 'Danny Tepper' name decals somehow. Decals by Indycals on that little lot.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Very nice picks and reasoning. Thank you.

Have to chuckle at the story on the Bellof 956 "find", thanks for recounting it.
It's amazing what gems get spotted or unearthed from time to time, that for some reason are only visible to a few.

It pays to be observant!

Edit: typo correction!

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
One I keep meaning to do but still haven't gotten around to, is the Rothmans Canada sponsored car, I've got a Minichamps 1/43 of this.
Love the Gaggia Torno car with the Italian stripes, the Lui car in peppermint, difficult choices, fabulous cars, Remember seeing Jackie on his 956 economy cruise at Silverstone back in the day, those little Lancia Barchettas just walked away, but it wasn't long until the 956/962 became the class of the field.
I had the Burago 1/24 Gaggia 956 as a kid. Think it's still in Mum's loft - a gorgeous scheme indeed. If I could find another 956 white kit I'd be sorely tempted... no, stop it. Enough. It was a magic era - let's hope that the Hypercars deliver something similar.

If you think I'm geeky, here's someone's breakdown of the Miami Vice episode in question. As a side note, the bad guy's March 83G 'Spirit of Miami' was in fact driven by Emerson Fittipaldi in the race (although not into the wall of a warehouse after being chased by a fake Ferrari Daytona!). Decals are available... again, I'm tempted...

And here are a couple of stills. Obviously, the car used in the race footage was 962-103, Holbert's regular car, but the film car clearly has a 956 nose...

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design

Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here's 956-007 as it was when it arrived in the UK prior to restoration.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Here's the team's setup sheet from the 1983 Silverstone 1000km, which Bell/Bellof won in 956-007, presented to its new owner by its original engineer, Klaus Bischoff.

Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Paper

And here's the restored car paying tribute to Bellof 30 years after the record was set as its first public outing after restoration.

Same car, same driver...

Pic courtesy of Chris Crawford, which appear in the book wot I rote...

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Font

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Anthony Reid update: he's been in (didn't buy fish soup) and I confessed I'd mentioned him in a post. He was reasonably indifferent to that and we talked real cars.

More news, as it happens.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I feel like I’m missing out. I saw 956/962s race only twice back in the day: at Silverstone in 1982 for the debut and, years later, in an IMSA race at Del Mar. Both races were desperately dull and the flat sound of the turbo engines did nothing for me, either. Bring back the 917!
Mike

1 - 20 of 68 Posts